Ken Melgaard and CopperHead Bullets.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I saw the post put up by JR today and thought it was about time to put in a plug for Ken and his CopperHead bullets.

For about 2 years now i have been trialling and shooting Kens' 103 grain 6 mm bullets in my 6 BR. All the competition has been at a 1000 yards and testing at 500 meters. From my observations and shooting over that time i have calculated that the meplat cut 103s have a real world BC of 0.550, and a little higher as they are from the box. This rifle has been retired as of a couple of months back because the remainder of the season is to get the 7 mm ready for Narromine next year so some of the rather erratic results later in the year belong to this rifle and not the 6 BR and 103s.

In the first 5 matches this year, 10 targets, the bullets have netted a 6 match group aggregate of 4.777", and a six match score aggregate at 291.x against a number of 6.5s, 7 mils and 30 cals.
The point is that niether of these aggregates could have been done without the consistency of the CopperHead bullets supplied by Ken. The reality is that these bullets still have to be batched in a number of ways, like any other bullet i use, but the percentage of AAA bullets from a 100 count is way higher than anything else i have used before from either Sierra, Nosler and Clinch River. From batch to batch sent to me during that time i have yet to change the setup on either my dies or meplat cutter and have yet to see a torn meplat during the trimming process.

I have spoken to a number of people about the 103s and have yet to see or hear a bad thing about them. So my thanks go out to Ken for his support and information about his products and am happy to say that i use an Australian made bullet. I have tested his 30 cal flat based bullets last year and will shoot them in a comp soon, and they really look the goods at 500 meters, but i am really waiting for the 168 grain 7 mil, a refined version of the SMK. Can't wait for that. Still a while off i believe.

Below is one of the test groups shot at 500 meters in late 2010 during one of our 550 BR matches. Group measures 0.960" and was done at the very early stages before the change to another powder. Hard to believe that the vertical at 500 meters has since been halved. That is how good these bullets are in flight and how well they respond to load changes.

Nothing else left to say except that i think everyone should try these bullets if they own a 6 BR or Dasher.
Attachments
550SG.JPG
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Outstanding.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Ken Melgaard and CopperHead Bullets.

Post by JasonF »

That is very impressive shooting Tony.

I have just started using the 103 Copperheads in my 6x47 Lapua. Preliminary load work is going well, but I need to experiment with seating depth. Can I ask where you and others have found the Copperheads like to be seated relative to the lands?
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

JasonF wrote:That is very impressive shooting Tony.

I have just started using the 103 Copperheads in my 6x47 Lapua. Preliminary load work is going well, but I need to experiment with seating depth. Can I ask where you and others have found the Copperheads like to be seated relative to the lands?
A good mate loads his 0.005 into the lands in both his 6mmBR and 6x47L.
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

Totally agree Tony. My wife used a 6x47 Swiss Match and 103g Copperheards at the F Class champs in Mackay earlier this year.

She came in 3rd (1pt behind leader) in a top class field, most shooting 6.5 and 7mm's.

The points she lost were wind shots, none were out due to vertical. Shot over 3 days. 300yds back to 800mtrs.

A big thanks to Ken for a quality product.

Cameron
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Young Andrew wright (14 old) placed 2nd overall at Wagga 500 fly a few weeks ago shooting copperhead 103gr in a 6mmBR.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Jason i jump them about 20 thou. That seems to work with every projectile with this reamer as it keeps the pressure peak down to load up more powder and get higher speed. On the lands and it spikes badly and i cannot get speed, or accuracy. I just do what the rifle tells me.

Cameron, i saw the three day aggregates for FO. Very close field indeed. With a 550 BC at 2930 fps i would not hesitate to use them the length of the field in FClass, as it seems your wife is doing, and doing well in all her matches. Well done to you both.
ozeant
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by ozeant »

Hi,

I can and do happily vouch for Ken's 6mm 103's. They work well for 300m, 500m or 1000 yards....

I have shot a collection of small group, best target & high score records & wins in the 500m fly using the copperheads.

At 300m they also perform amazingly well..... a few weeks ago, I shot 296 with ten flies and 5 groups with an average of well under 1" at 300m in wagga (one at 0.614", one at 0.715, one at 0.8 and 2 about 1.2").

When I sort them, the discards get used for local club fox shoots at 200, 300 & 500 and still shoot the lights out !!

Would love to try some 7mm and 30 cals when available.

Cheers

Anthony
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Outstanding stuff Anthony!!!
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Hard to beat Kens 103's out of a 6mmBR or BR Improved! AWESOME!! It's in Ken's nature to make only the best!!
petevm

Post by petevm »

The 1000yd match has just finished in Canberra. I was lucky enough to take out heavy gun group and score aggs. What with? My wife's 6Dasher LG with 103 Copperheads straight out of the box (apart from moly coating). The load is 32.5 AR2208 CCI BR-4 and seated .015" into the lands. Only shot one sighter each time with about 30seconds to go, that's how much faith
I have in the whole set-up. Full results will be up soon Mick tells me
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Well done Peter the wind would have been a bit twitchy today ?
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

just finished weighing ?? and sorting ?? a batch of 6mm 103 Copperheads.

apart, from indicating and reinforcing the consistent quality of these projectiles, this was a waste of time and effort.

any inconsistencies in either weight, diameter, bearing length etc are beyond the capability of the measuring/weighing equipment used for this task.

average weight was 102.81 grains (on my scales)

bearing length ES +- .001" - majority < .0005"

Compared to many years of frustration/expense and time in trying to obtain similar results with projectiles from berger, hornady, sierra etc etc - but never succeeding with this ease or to this standard !!!!!

the Copperhead results speak for themselves. :D :D

can't wait for for the addition of other Copperhead projectiles in additional calibres and weights.

cheers
dave g
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

JasonF. As for seating depths, it is something you will have to play with. My 6x47s both prefered to be jammed .010", while my 2 6 Dashers prefered them jumping .010".
I finished running in and fireforming my new 6BR (F class) and 6 Dasher (1000yd LG) today and will be experimenting with the 103s again soon. Most 6BR shooters I know of are jumping them around .010-.015"
At 1000yds, I found the pointed copperheads hit the same height as the out of the box 105 Hybrids in my Dasher.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Thanks. I have given them a run in my 6x47L. As it is a multiple purpose rifle, I am reluctant to jam projectiles into the lands, but luckily I found that they like 20 thou of jump in my rifle. Accuracy is superb.

Prior to testing the copperheads, I had ordered some Berger 105 hybrids which have now arrived. It will be interesting to see which is better.