Prospected 1000YD BR interview?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

.. Hi All , If there was an interview done for a Magazine with a couple of 1kBR shooters here in AUS about their preferences and methods used .. Questions- What would you put as the important questions ,what would you ask if you had the chance ??. Like =shooting style or cartridge prep or .. ..JR.. Jeff Rogers
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Re: Prospected 1000YD BR interview?

Post by Rabbitz »

Why do you torture yourself?

:)
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

What trends do you see in the future?

Describe how you set up and prepare your bags and rests, before and during the match.
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

Hi Rod , Thanks for your questions , i will pass them on to the guy doing the piece for the Magazine ..JR.. Jeff Rogers
RDavies wrote:What trends do you see in the future?

Describe how you set up and prepare your bags and rests, before and during the match.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

There are two types of people: Those already doing BR, and those that aren't.

From an education viewpoint start with the larger group (those that don't BR) as they have the most to benefit. Beginners (like me) have little knowledge of how to even get started.

Those that already do BR can later pass on their secret squirrel techniques etc.

As R Davies said, setting up bags and rests sounds simple but to a beginner it could be very daunting. So, perhaps the best question is "How does one get started in BR, and what simple tricks can you do to quickly get up to speed?" Similarly "What are the common mistakes that could be easily avoided?"
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I think there are many aspects that could be covered such as;

1) Load development and preparation of ammunition and the required equipment.

2) Building a rifle on the right caliber.

3) Components, actions, trigger, barrel, optics.

4) Establishing technique and finding what works for you and being able to maintain consistency with developed technique and methods.

5) Learning to read the element of wind (something that I'm still learning to do).

6) Persistence.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Sean got close with a couple but how about ..

Building a rifle
1. What works? The known do's and dont's (these are not known by newbies) of LRBR rifle design?
2. Case selection, how to sort through the list of available calibres to make an effective choice for you?
3. Matching brass, bullets and powders to case ... whats the best method to quickly sort the rubbish out and get a simple list to test?

Equipment (actions, barrels, stocks, rests, bags, dies, measuring tools etc etc
1. What to avoid?
2. What MUST HAVE items make up a minimum kit for comp ie measuring tools, dies, neck turners etc etc

Technique
1. What are the best methods for practising technique?
2. What if any books are worth reading?
3. Who should I observe at the range, ask for advice (and when should I ask)

What do you consider the most impotarnt single tasks to make accurate ammo, rifle, bench set up
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

Hi all, Thanks for the response , i thought for a while there this was going to turn to S..t but it hasn't .. I would think that the questions will be limited because they will be aimed at 2 different shooters (1 L/G and 1 H/ G) and there is only a single page in a mag with which to fit the answers . But i will pass it all on anyhow .. I posed a sticky section on just what you guys are after information wise some time back to be included on this site .. But if i remember right it was deemed not necessary .. Maybe a larger number of members asking could change things with the management .. This way all the guys either fresh or and old hat at LRBR could add questions OR answers with mutual benefits for us all .. JR.. Jeff Rogers
Rinso wrote:Sean got close with a couple but how about ..

Building a rifle
1. What works? The known do's and dont's (these are not known by newbies) of LRBR rifle design?
2. Case selection, how to sort through the list of available calibres to make an effective choice for you?
3. Matching brass, bullets and powders to case ... whats the best method to quickly sort the rubbish out and get a simple list to test?

Equipment (actions, barrels, stocks, rests, bags, dies, measuring tools etc etc
1. What to avoid?
2. What MUST HAVE items make up a minimum kit for comp ie measuring tools, dies, neck turners etc etc

Technique
1. What are the best methods for practising technique?
2. What if any books are worth reading?
3. Who should I observe at the range, ask for advice (and when should I ask)

What do you consider the most impotarnt single tasks to make accurate ammo, rifle, bench set up
ozeant
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by ozeant »

Hi,

I think you are correct in that the majority of readers would be non 1000 benchrest shooters, so maybe some questions like

Can I have a go at 1000 yards with a factory centrefire rifle ?

What is the minimum equipment level in terms of rifle, optics and is reloading essential to enable someone to enjoy 1000 yard shooting.

Then amied at the experienced readers....

"As a top level competitor, what is one thing you do that you believe gives you an advantage over the majority ?"

Cheers

Anthony
m12vlp
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by m12vlp »

RDavies wrote:...
I've read and saved off a lot of what Jeff has posted around the various forums and incorporated a lot of it into my shooting.

Bag and rest setup is something that is rarely covered and lately in my F-Class shooting I have discovered the importance of getting it right.

I would love to see something written up about it.