interested in shooting 1000 yard benchrest "blind"

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

interested in shooting 1000 yard benchrest "blind"

Post by dg »

z
Last edited by dg on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Hi dg,
Great post on 1000yds, I have been interested in having a go at it for some time, and after reading an article in "American Rifleman" mag. I think it was, the author bought a rem700 lam varm rifle in .308 and nightforce scope and was competative without even bedding the action. Hard to believe! But based on that I had my win670 in .243 rebarreled with a rem .308 as new varmint barrel to have a go, theory being if I like it I can upgrade later to better gear. I have a 6.5-20x50 whitetail classic scope on the rifle and I was wondering if this set-up would be
useable? The particular item I read in the mag said 1/2" @100yrds 5 shot groups were good enough to be competative, but while I know the rifle I have is capable of that, I don't think I am, best group to date is
11.38mm but I can't do it consistently. (150gn nos b/tip, 46.5 gn 2208, win ex palma match cases, full lenghth sized) I can usually group around 3/4 inch or a bit better but I know I'm not holding steady enough for 1/2" groups. Is it worth perservering with this outfit or am I unlikely to get on paper? I have just mounted the action in a custom laminated/ fibreglass stock that I made but have yet to try, hopefully I'll be a bit better than with the original stock the above figures are from, but I don't expect miracles.
Is the 1000yrd range in Brisbane at Belmont? Thats were I shoot but I've never taken much notice of anything but the benchrest area.
Do you shoot off a bench with rest or bi-pod, or bi-pod prone?
Sorry about all the questions, but if you don't ask, you won't find out.
Regards Alpal
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Info!

Post by a.JR »

Hi Al, The info that dave has been good enough to tell us about i assure you has not gone unoticed buy the guys that shoot 1K regularly. i will attempt to put daves way in practice shortly as soon as the weather comes good enough for testing.. We have Factory guns shooting 1000yds for some time in TSV,smallest group was 9.9ins ,i think the smile on that guys face when he broke 10 ins was definately worth the price of admission.. To shoot BRIS ring the conveener Rex on 33984309 for the shoot dates.. i don't know about Brisbane but the option of shooting on the ground is not possible at my range ,hence the name "Benchrest"..JR..Jeff Rogers.................
alpal wrote:Hi dg,
Great post on 1000yds, I have been interested in having a go at it for some time, and after reading an article in "American Rifleman" mag. I think it was, the author bought a rem700 lam varm rifle in .308 and nightforce scope and was competative without even bedding the action. Hard to believe! But based on that I had my win670 in .243 rebarreled with a rem .308 as new varmint barrel to have a go, theory being if I like it I can upgrade later to better gear. I have a 6.5-20x50 whitetail classic scope on the rifle and I was wondering if this set-up would be
useable? The particular item I read in the mag said 1/2" @100yrds 5 shot groups were good enough to be competative, but while I know the rifle I have is capable of that, I don't think I am, best group to date is
11.38mm but I can't do it consistently. (150gn nos b/tip, 46.5 gn 2208, win ex palma match cases, full lenghth sized) I can usually group around 3/4 inch or a bit better but I know I'm not holding steady enough for 1/2" groups. Is it worth perservering with this outfit or am I unlikely to get on paper? I have just mounted the action in a custom laminated/ fibreglass stock that I made but have yet to try, hopefully I'll be a bit better than with the original stock the above figures are from, but I don't expect miracles.
Is the 1000yrd range in Brisbane at Belmont? Thats were I shoot but I've never taken much notice of anything but the benchrest area.
Do you shoot off a bench with rest or bi-pod, or bi-pod prone?
Sorry about all the questions, but if you don't ask, you won't find out.
Regards Alpal
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

Hi all,
I shoot 1000yrd all year, every year in Townsville with jr and the crew, while i am far from the best i would still like to share my way of attacking this event.

During the sighter period you can have as many sighters as you like so I take a small note pad and pen to the line and try to fire 1 or 2 sighters for each condition i see. By marking down the rough wind speed and direction of each condition i fired on it gives me a good platform for the record target. I then try to get my five (lightgun) shots of as quickly as possible, befor the conditions change.

HOWEVER, you must also remember that mother nature is as unpredictable as any woman and you are almost asured of being confronted with a condition you have not yet seen.

The other big helper in this dicipline is simply watching and learning from your team mates / competitors. I can't speak for other ranges but in Townsville you are free (and encouraged) to ask questions, how else are you to learn. I have been shooting 1000yrd for four (or so) years now and can say that i can (usually) hit paper every time i go out, so to you new guys i say, keep trying and have a go, there's nothing more satisfying than being able to say you can hit a "head" sized target a kilometer away. :lol: :lol:
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

That must be one big head Pete :mrgreen:

Tony Z.
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Thats not very nice Z-man ....
Likely true but still not nice :mrgreen:
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

I forgot to say it's an elephants head but none the less it's still a head. :lol: :lol:
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

I did try to think of an animal with a larger conk than an elephant and failed miserably. :shock:
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Head Size!

Post by a.JR »

Hi all, the best average of 6 match targets shot at 1000yds throughout 2006 at TSV was by Bobby L at 7.36 ins ,thats got to be close to head size hasn't it, thats the average, not the best ..Tell ya what the ole Blackpete wasn't that far behind,i wouldn't like to be runnin away from him..JR..Jeff Rogers
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

Hey Wiz ya forgot the blue whales mellon mate, mind you i'd want something a bit bigger than the 30-338, about a 1/4 pound of C-4 should do. :mrgreen:
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

Wiz, are there any taxidermists up that way, if so do you have any idea of how much it may be to do a buff head.
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

intersted in 1000yd blind br?

Post by dg »

z
Last edited by dg on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Pogy

Post by Col. Pogy »

Hats off to you that try. Its a tough go to shoot a distance like that. Allow me to offer a link that I at least find uncommonly helpful to me. and I'm just a 300 yard shooter, and even then a field shooter. Lots of tips for tha serious here. http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html A fellow name of froggy has some loading and shooting tips that help. I need all the help I can get. Regrds to such serious shooters. pogy