7mm Twist Rates

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
AlanF

Re: Assumption's

Post by AlanF »

a.JR wrote:..There is someone from down you way coming to F/class match shortly with a slow twist /flat base bullet combination ,let me know what you think after he has had a coupla matchs under his belt..
Jeff,

I'm certainly not writing off the low BC idea, but only if it has high velocity. The theory says that wind drift can be reduced by having either (or both) of those things high. I'll be pleased to see something different on the mound here soon. Any more clues about who and what and when? :D

Alan
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

He has been conspicuos by his abscence over the last few years, been out makin bullets to shoot sheep with a PPC :lol: , and prior to that he was winning a lot of matches.
The bullet is going to be the 165 BIB in a nice slow twist barrel. I would like to see him shoot the Fly and 1K with this combo, another place he has been abscent from for a while.

Tony Z.
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Re: Assumption's

Post by a.JR »

Hi Al, I better not start dropping names here, he may choose to not mention the bullet /twist incase his is left out in the cold so to speak in amongst all the other 300000rpmVLD wisdom .. Strangely enough i've never heard him talk about the many "Theory's" when we talk shooting together either,but anyway he has seen fit to try what i have proved on the target..I wish him well ..JR..Jeff Rogers..............
AlanF wrote:
a.JR wrote:..There is someone from down you way coming to F/class match shortly with a slow twist /flat base bullet combination ,let me know what you think after he has had a coupla matchs under his belt..
Jeff,

I'm certainly not writing off the low BC idea, but only if it has high velocity. The theory says that wind drift can be reduced by having either (or both) of those things high. I'll be pleased to see something different on the mound here soon. Any more clues about who and what and when? :D

Alan
Matt P
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by Matt P »

Tony and JR
You could be right about the barrel "whip" but I've had 4 6.5 barrels, one 8.5 and three 8's in four different calibers and with three different pills and all behaved the same, all barrels where atleast 0.950" at the muzzel.The only bullet that worked really well were the old 155SMK but they were going so slow and the BC(real world) was average and are no longer made. In F Class you can afford to lose the odd shot as long as the rest are very good. I now use 142SMK and do alot of tuning (which burns up barrels) and beleive it's a RPM/twist rate issue, the last 2 barrels I've had have a very narrow velocity range one was 2840-2860 and the other was 2900-2920, now this could be due to slightly different twist rates or maybe slightly different profiles, or maybe I'm just talking S^%T.
Anyway I'm going to try the 7mm in a 9.5 in probably a 7mm/270 (longer neck) with 175's but after your posts and PM's I'll now also try the 168's
I truely beleive the more I learn the Less I know.
Thanks
Matt P
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Matt, if you still have a good 6.5 of some sort left, get some-one to stretcher it and give it a go. It shouldn't cost a great deal and the exercise may be well worth the cost. If you have any questions email myself or JR and we can go from there.
With the 175s, Marty is having a good run in a 9.5. I have not seen his test targets with this barrel, but do not discount them because of our experiences. Just don't look at a singular group. Do a good test for agg and then take them out in some rough weather. You will see quick enough.
Tony Z.