maximum calibers for ranges

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

maximum calibers for ranges

Post by malcolm »

Does anyone know what calibers can be shot at what ranges?
I don't want to build up a 338 Wildcat Fly rifle if I cannot shoot it at Canberra or Hornsby ranges.
Someone told me 8mm max for Hornsby and 50 cal for Canberra.
thanks guys
Malcolm
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Malcom..

I dont want to be a spoiled sport, but I do not think a 338cal based catridge is the best for Fly and 1000yds. I believe a 30cal would be better, as they seem to shoot a lot better.

This what I have read about, and been advised to do, because I too was also thinking of a 338LM Improved for a heavygun.

Now, I would just choose a 300Ackley and be done with it!

Cheers
AI
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Yeh mate 8mm is the max for Hornsby and a lot of other ranges.

50 cal for Canberra.

AI is correct in what he says, there are also other reasons for not going 338 or bigger.
cheers,
Shane
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

Hi guys,
I have been using a 30-338 (light gun) in 500 fly & 1000yrd events for 4>5 years now and while i am not the best shooter around i can say that this cartrige was specificlly developed for 1000yrd by a yank in the late fifties and has done very well for those who can shoot. The necked down 338 Win Mag case takes 65g of 2209 with a 200g Seirra Match King and runs around 2800 FPS (my best load so far).

We also have some guys using the 30-284 with a lot of success and I am currently building another light gun in this calibre.

Other calibres you might consider are the 300 Win Mag and some of the 7ml's. If you ask around I am sure you will find neally every long range shooter will have an oppinion on a suitable cartidge. :lol: :lol: 8)
Pete.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

If your dead keen on the 338LM case, try one necked down to 30cal and improved. Then shoot those 240g Sierra Matchkings... WOW!!!

I can not remember the reasons for not using the 338, but there is price of projectiles and brass, consistancy of projectiles, recoil, loading cost, and they do not shoot as consistant as a 30cal magnum. I can not remember why, but have been told they do! Even by a fellow who shoots one in Australia. He did not recommend a 338LM after owning one!

300 Ackley Improved, 300ackley, 30X68S improved, 300WM improved list goes on! even the stock standard 300WM or 300 weatherby I believe would be better suited for a heavygun! A 300WSM can push teh 210's to around 2950fps!!!!

I would however choose a 338LM for a Tactical rifle, but a tactical rifle is much different to a benchgun!

Its off the topic a little now, but Shane answered your question!!

Anyway, enough talk of a heavygun, as I'll want one!!! HHmmm.. 10" BAT, HG tracker stock, 30" 1.45 barrel, 300Ackley, 60lbs....

Cheers
AI
malcolm
.204 Ruger

Post by malcolm »

thanks for the input AI. I'll tell you what I,ve had in mind for quite a while now.
I already own a Stolled action,PSECO built rifle with three barrels. Two 6mmBR barrels and a 7mm/08 Ack Imp barrel. The only barrel I have shot is the 7mm/08 Ack Imp------so far. I have used it twice now in 500m Fly shoots. I don't have to tell you guys how addictive this fly shooting gets.
A 36x Leupold sits ontop of the action and still has enough elevation in the 25mm tube to get me zeroed at 500m.
If I screw the 6mm BR barrels back in I just wind down approx 36 clicks and I'm back on at 100 and 200m.
I love the idea of wildcats. If I stick to a /06 based caliber I could still use my Stolle. I thought of utilising the new 9.3x66 Sako case which I would assume would be maximum for a /06 head size case. According to internet specs, the 66mm case is the same as a 9.3x 62 only pushed in a further 4mm
Your idea of wildcats like a 68S sounds great, if a reamer was available, but I would require a different bolt as the 68s case is larger in the head diameter.
I would like to duplicate or better the trajectory curve on the 7mm/08 so I wouldn't have to stuff around fitting another scope. And the bigger the bullet hole, the easier I'm going to see it, at 500m's.
I have put a lot of thought into this project, but we all know that sometimes even the best thoughts go astray.
Anyway, it doesn't hurt to discuss this subject------there's nothing on TV anyhow Malcolm
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Choices!

Post by a.JR »

Malcolm, Your certainly not muckin around wanting a 338 LM imp for a 1st real benchgun..Some advice ,it's probably a good idea to work up to the top with something thats a little easier to get along with ..I have friends that have gone the 338 route ,it's one cartridge that takes alot of input just to get half good ..If you are a bored ,retired Machinist/engineer that likes the idea of spending 2 hours to get a projectile ready to shoot about as good as some of the 30 cal ones come straight out of the box,then go for it .. If i was starting from scratch with a H/G i would probably buy my own reamer in either 300ack (Hawks Ridge version) or i would get the specs of Regan Greens 30 Valkyre and set it for 200 Smks(they are easy to get )in AUS ..I think the above is good for a 5.00 group at 1K without having 10 years experiance ..Regan has shot the smallest 6 match group average (about 5.800 ins ) out of everyone in the world that shoots 1000yd ,makes my AUS 6 match mark look poorly like.. Any further help ,just yell..JR..Jeff Rogers
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Malcolm,

How about a straight 280AI or a 30-284??

Cheers
AI
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Without changing your bolt the cals AI mentioned are very good, Nosler are now making their custom brass in 280 AI.

You could also throw the 30-06 AI into the mix as well.
cheers,
Shane
malcolm
.204 Ruger

Post by malcolm »

aJR, thanks for the reply, but Hell, I don't want no 338 LM. I like my shoulder right where it is. The only thing I mentioned about 338's were the fact they put nice big holes in paper.
AI and Shane, thanks for the input. Shane,I think it must be a case of "great minds think alike " as I have aleady noted that you have the 280 Imp reamer.
I have sectioned up and miked up cases and using Load from a Disk's internal measurements I've found that a 30/06 case has a capacity of 65.6 gns of water. A 30/06 imp--70.4 gns. A 93x66 Sako case equates to 76.9 gnsImageImage
The case on the left is a 66 mm Sako case necked to .338 and fitted with a cigar like 300gn Sierra. The center case is fitted with a Sierra 250 gn, abd the case on the right is a 35 Whelan imp, with a 225 Ballistic Tip
I think I could jam in a hell of a lot more powder into that extra space in the Sako 9.3x66 case
Shane, I hope to have my act into gear by the time of the Fly shoot in March, so if you don't mind mixing business with pleasure, I'll talk to you down there about chambers.
Malcolm