3rd time... almost lucky

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

3rd time... almost lucky

Post by Brad Y »

Well I found out the other day that we arent actually shooting legit F open, its more of a local club shooting at ranges but with different scoring and I dont know what that is. Basically the V is 6, then bull eye 5, 4, 3, 2, etc. There are guys shooting full bore next to us so maybe its the same as them. Doesnt matter to me im having fun just shooting.

Today 500m, very light winds and great conditions to shoot. First set ever at 500m I shot 58 from 60, my best ever and also kept me in the running with the top guys who both shot 59's. When it came my turn to shoot, the front runners had also both got 59's again and I needed a 60 to win. Heres where my inexperience at reading wind showed again, with two sighters going 4 and 5- I culled them and immediately made two 6's. One was my first ever smack bang (spinner) on the v. Then although the flags werent reading sideways, there was a very light tail wind which i thought i held for but after four 5's in a row, all just low, I realised the tail wind wasnt doing a thing- even with the light 69gr HPBT bullets i was shooting. Next 4 shots were all sixes and I ended up coming or 4th to a 308 (1st), 223 (2nd) and 6.5x47L (3rd).

Very happy at my first 500m shoot, and walked away wiser to the wind again.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Re: 3rd time... almost lucky

Post by Sam Walker »

Good stuff Brad....so you collected the jackpot for hitting the spinner ? Sounds like you were shooting on the F Std target.
The F Open scores from 10 down to 2, smaller graduations between scores. I shot on the Open target a couple of times there. They might keep it a bit informal/flexible for convenience + practicality, rather than running F Open and F Std at the same time. Sounds like the 22BRX with a faster twist would go alright at 900m..
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Well done Brad.Doesn't matter whether your shooting on the F open or the F standard you'll learn to read the wind.
I shoot on the "little F open" target and had a pretty ordinary day yesterday with a 94 and 93 .One of my mates found a hollow in the wind to record his second possible at 300 yards.He then got the real wind to have a 100 and a 93.So new year and I'm already 6 points behind in the club championship.
Have a good one,
Macca
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

We often shoot on fullbore targets with F Open rifles at club shoots, depending on who shows up.

The advantage of shooting on the open target is it really tests your skills and your rifles accuracy.....ie, you try alot harder.

I have included dimensions of the F Open targets. If you shoot possibles on these you are doing real well. That's what I like about shooting on these targets.

Cameron

Image Image
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeah it sounds like it might be the same as fullbore scoring here. Doesnt matter to us, there is usually between 5 and 10 guys that rock up with F open rigs and we shoot from a range of contraptions, from harris bipods, modified car jacks through to things like caldwell "rock BR" rests (flavour of the month and my wallet is drooling at one right now)

Im really looking forward to the 7 twist barrel and 90gr bullets in the BRX, i think its going to be a very accurate combination.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Brad Y wrote:Yeah it sounds like it might be the same as fullbore scoring here. Doesnt matter to us, there is usually between 5 and 10 guys that rock up with F open rigs and we shoot from a range of contraptions, from harris bipods, modified car jacks through to things like caldwell "rock BR" rests (flavour of the month and my wallet is drooling at one right now)

Im really looking forward to the 7 twist barrel and 90gr bullets in the BRX, i think its going to be a very accurate combination.
Brad.... Why are you not wanting to step up into a 6mm version instead of a 7 twist 0.224 barrel?

For myself, being both 500m Fly and 1000yd BR, I would not even consider a 22 version of my Dasher.

Cheers
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

Ackley Improved wrote:...Brad.... Why are you not wanting to step up into a 6mm version instead of a 7 twist 0.224 barrel?
For myself, being both 500m Fly and 1000yd BR, I would not even consider a 22 version of my Dasher...
Everyone to their own A/I. One of the good things about F-Open is the variety of calibres. I wouldn't like to see us end up like SR B/R where virtually everyone uses 6mmPPC. I've seen everything from .223 up to .30 Win Mag on occasions - and they all have strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't write off the 22 BR/X - the 6 Dasher can't claim an accuracy advantage over them. And neither can claim to be the ideal choice in average conditions at long range.

PS I have 6 Dasher :)
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I did think about a 6mm version but to be honest i havent got the patience to work through licencing another barrel just for target use. The WA system is a bit off putting for that sort of thing to me. I want all my guns to be on open licences but i cant justify a 6mm for what I go shooting for. Another 22BRX is just another barrel and chamber job, screw it on and off i go. Not going to do major comps or anything, im happy doing what im doing at this level. Its enjoyable, im not in it for money or prizes etc, I have a perfectly good fishing tournament career for that, plus a 50hr a week job to pay for my hobbys.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

AlanF... so if you had a 22 Dasher you would run that over your 6mm version... you must be kidding me right? If your doing your stuff right you will know how well the 6mmDasher shoots, and in that alone you would not worry about a 22 version.

Brad, fair enough mate I see your logic. I would most likely give the 90's a miss and stick with the 80's. How many types of 90's can you get your hands on?

Cheers
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

sierra 90gr MK's and berger 90gr VLD's

Also got a source of 90gr JLK's that were imported before they changed hands and no longer send them to aus. I think there were a couple of hundred of them if i remember right.

Worst case scenario, if I have to go to 80's I can still shoot them and there will be no question at all about stability issues.
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

I have seen excellent results from 22br at long range in good hands.

It all comes down to the nut behind the bolt. It won't matter what cartridge you use, if you can't get the wind right it will show on your score card.

Cameron
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

macca wrote:Well done Brad.Doesn't matter whether your shooting on the F open or the F standard you'll learn to read the wind.
I shoot on the "little F open" target and had a pretty ordinary day yesterday with a 94 and 93 .One of my mates found a hollow in the wind to record his second possible at 300 yards.He then got the real wind to have a 100 and a 93.So new year and I'm already 6 points behind in the club championship.
Have a good one,
Macca
You think you had an ordinary day? I ended up with a 90 and 91 on Saturday at 300. hahah.
Below about 97 at 300 is pretty ordinary. Was a pretty horrible fishtailing tail wind here on Saturday though. Nobody did particularly well.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by macca »

Mick wrote: You think you had an ordinary day? I ended up with a 90 and 91 on Saturday at 300. hahah.
Below about 97 at 300 is pretty ordinary. Was a pretty horrible fishtailing tail wind here on Saturday though. Nobody did particularly well.
Ours was quartering and gusting.It was the drop offs that killed most as the flags seemed to stay up even though the wind was dropping.I couldn't get a handle on the rhythm.Shot a lovely group in the 9 and 10 ring at ten oclock.Yep we should be shooting 97 and up at three hundred.I have a couple of possibles at 300y heaps of 99's.No possibles at 400yards,again some 99's.A couple of possibles at 500and 600.
From there back its 99,98,98 for 700,800 and 900.Still learning this wind game.
Macca
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

macca wrote:...I have a couple of possibles at 300y heaps of 99's.No possibles at 400yards,again some 99's.A couple of possibles at 500and 600.
From there back its 99,98,98 for 700,800 and 900.Still learning this wind game.
Macca,

With scores like that you would be very competitive at Queens level. NSW Queens is in September, and Canberra's in October. I gather you're not one of these NSW shooters without a driver's licence :( ?

Alan
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by macca »

AlanF wrote: With scores like that you would be very competitive at Queens level. NSW Queens is in September, and Canberra's in October. I gather you're not one of these NSW shooters without a driver's licence :( ?

Alan
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The biggest problem for my two closest Queens (Sydney and ACT) is their timing,we are calving in September and Oct/Nov it's silage making.I can squeeze one day off but not three.I would need to shoot the lead up to get a feel for the ranges as well.My kid's don't consider that a holiday I'm afraid.And my boss well???? :roll:
To be honest Alan I'm not that fussed on prize meets.If I travel it's more likely a 1k shoot.Over in a day.I may look at some Fly shoots in the future as well.The Queens will probably have to wait till I'm retired.
Have a good one,
Macca