Rumblings in FLY!!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

WhaT One!!

Post by a.JR »

e]
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Set Ups

Post by a.JR »

te]
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Well couldnt there be a comp for stock rifles or rifles that cost no more the $2000 or something like that to help people get hooked into the sport?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Archfile, i know exactly where you're coming from. Our own club went through a major upheaval recently and we thought that we had gotten rid of all our troubles and the ship was righted. Then within 12 months a clone would appear, just like the one that was just chopped off at the knees. But this time they're more cunning and educated and very aware of who to keep close to their chest so as to avoid a fate like their predecessors. What happens is that some of these morons have no life at home or at work and then see that they can sieze a little power that has eluded them elswhere. So they then go on to create a club that is self serving and to hell with the rest. I really hate these people and have seen my fair share of them and can honestly say that they are the main reason why most plinkers rarely come back to some ranges, if at all. If the club members were not so complacent, they would identify these dickheads and throw them out on their head. Lose one wanker, gain fifty good members is all that we need to keep in front of our minds. We shooters are at times our own worst enemy.

About 15 years ago, i developed a shoot that was set up specifically for varminters. It used the silhouette ranges of 200,300,385 and 500 metres where an animal target (lever action crow, rabbit, fox and pig) was placed at those intervals. No sighters, just scoring rings on the animal target each with five shots to count and with a total 20 shots scoring a possible 200 points. We run it for a few years and then had to move over in favour of Service Rifle and has'nt been shot since. I called the shoot Varmint for Score, not knowing that there is a class of Hunterclass with the same name in the US. I know that with the abundance of tactical and varmint rifles around, this shoot would be a goer again. Unfortunately now our range has restrictions on it that prevents us from doing this again. But that does not prevent other ranges from doing so.
In the US they have the Hickory Egg shoot that attracts hundreds of varminters from all over to participate in something a little similar to what i have just described. There is a whole market for SSAA clubs to tap into, not just varminters, but there are so few to get up and try something different and actually attract new members that would ordinarily not bother with the current disciplines offered.
By all means have a go at FLY, but be warned, this is a difficult shoot at best and if you are not fitting in and are losing interest and you and your friends are tired of the wankers, get involved in a club and get your group together and come up with an alternative. Don't be deterred from introducing a new shoot by those that give you the old story of it can't be done for insurance reasons. That's a load of horseshit as any shot fired is covered on any SSAA range providing it is in your clubs annual calendar of shoots. Of course you have to get it through the committee, but if you have enough support and are loud enough, most members are meek enough to allow a vote through on anything. Bullshit, bluff and threaten if you have to, but if all else fails just mention the magic word, DOLLARS. Clubs just love more cash especially if it means they do SFA to get it and can take credit for it later. Worked for me every time. Do not under any circumstance tell the club what it will cost them to set up. That comes next meeting once you've got it voted through, then just tell them it's minor details on the speedbump to success. Suckers. I did it with BR50 and the club shelled out bucks, but they made a barrow load back. Remember Fly was formed by just 3 guys getting together and forming a shoot around one idea and it has now been around for 15 years.

Tony Z.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

All,

I think the 'factory' class could be just a hosting club run thing, rather than step out and make a new set of rules for it. It is really just to give first timers a chance to win something and get them interested in the sport :D

If any change takes place in the ruling's it needs to be done carefully as I don't think we want to lose the fun factor either.

I missed the Fly/1000yrd rules thingy before...nope I reckon keep em seperate :D Thanks for the enlightenment TZ....I always thought that 1K was under the IBS banner 8)

As for wackers...I have met heaps of em :lol: colourful people are what make up this sport :D but not all of them drive Porsches :lol: :lol: :lol:

KY
scott oz

Post by scott oz »

Yep, my real concern is that I will get hooked and blow some more $. The 308 would be my choice and I really like the rifle.

No idea of the politics of the various clubs but would only offer this for thought.

I used to sail 16 foot skiffs which had weight (hull) sail limits and min crew numbers it was highly competitive with new skiffs entering the competition each year. The 18 foot skiffs with no weight restrictions or sail restrictions etc priced themselves almost into extinction.

Very few people (boats) competing because of the cost of being competitive. An 18 ft skiff that was highly competitive one season was at the back of the fleet the next season so few “new” boats (additional to the class) boosting fleet numbers.

To me there is room for both in shooting. If you have a standard class allow it to be "blue printed" limit the modifications. Have another where you can do what you like :?:

This may already be the case :?: just shows how little I know about competative shooting.
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

I feel the Fly shoots should stay as they are. They work great!

You dont need to spend thousands of $$ to do good at Fly, all you need is an accurate rifle and enough skill to drive it and read the wind. Without these it dosent matter how much money spend.

If you go to a Fly shoot and dont win it dosent matter there are plenty of other people who havent won either but when you go to your next shoot set your self some goals, eg. Try to improve on your last score, try to keep all your rounds scorers. What ever you like just try to better yourself and by doing that you will get to the top.

There maybe some areas where the shoot can be improved but its darn good as it is, lets get more clubs on board.
cheers,
Shane
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I agree with Shane, we need to get more clubs running this event!!

A place that is more central to the capital cities would be perfect to cut down travel time for everyone!

Cheers
AI
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

MMMM,

Kicked over a can of worms here ....

1st No need to change any rules in Fly. No I dont think we should make rule changes to accomodate new shooters .... why :?:
All the Fly shooters here started as new shooters...I shot my 1st Fly with a factory 25.06 Mick Farr shot his with a factory 30.06 we now both shoot HG's in 30 cal and would probably be classed as wankers based on some of the comments I have read in earlier posts..
I have shot a Little River and will not argue about the welcome some feel they got but I will say that I saw good blokes shooting all types of guns not just "money" shooters.
A few facts Fly shooters and 1000Yd BR shooters in my experience are very helpful and friendly but remember a few things
1. We dont get together all that often so a lot of catching up goes on at every shoot you need to allow for that.
2. As someone mentioned earlier (Tony Z I think) the Fly is a very difficult shoot and requires a lot of mental effort on the shooters part to succeed.
3. We dont travel long distance to run 15th the aim is to do well, but fun is a big part of it as well, especially when you have done your dash for the event. Dont expect the guys in the lead with 1 target to go to be fooling around.
4. A lot of new shooters do not introduce themselves, they stand back even after they are approached by others, this may be nerves or feeling their gear is not up to it.... I dont know but we wereall there once.

I do know that most blokes dont care what you shoot factory or ferrari 8) they care if you are a good bloke. Some new shooters bring attitude and shit with them and look down their noses at the rest of us go figure.

Suffice to say..
Turn up to a shoot before you make too much comment.
Shoot your remchester you will be helped if you ask and listen you already know more than I did when I started via this forum;
aJR is the HG Shooter of the Year
Tony Z has forgotten more about shooting than most people ever know.
Dave Goodridge.. is well ...Dave Goodridge and is among the best long range BR shooters in Australia (former holder of 500 Fly World Record Group)
Shane Clancy has won numerous events and regularly figures in the top ten or better.
Before he went sooky and started on 100/200 BR steven (Nash) was like Shane a man to be watched.
These are all guys with top gear (big dollars) they are not wankers they are good blokes and will help you here and at the range anyway they can.

If you like the shoot you will be back but its not for everyone.

cheers
Rinso
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G'Day
Hey rinso that touched my heart that speech, you are after some serious browny points.
Well said mate.!!
Regards
Damien Webb.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

native hunter,

All true .. respect is earned .. and these guys have the runs on the board.

cheers

Rinso
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Rinso,

Bout time you got your bum back in here :D
All the Fly shooters here started as new shooters...I shot my 1st Fly with a factory 25.06 Mick Farr shot his with a factory 30.06 we now both shoot HG's in 30 cal and would probably be classed as wankers based on some of the comments I have read in earlier posts..
I didn't know you blokes drove porches :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously I think you have said it best so far...nice and simple :D

The idea of a 'stocker' class was put forward to give an insentive for new people to 'come back' with their factory guns, as not everyone can afford to race off and build a purpose built rifle :D And these are the people I have noticed that rarely come back.

I don't think there needs to be a new rule as such for this, maybe just encourage the hosting clubs to give a 'best of the worst' type of award It could be a $10 trophy easily covered by the registration fees. No big deal :D

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,
Bout time you got your bum back in here
Been out working last 10 days, gotta pay for the gear somehow..

And we do drive porches mate just the aussie type ..you with a trayback and bullbar

I understand the concept of the factory class but I also know aJR bent over backwards to do this before and I didnt work, whats changed :?: :?:
All I am saying is that a factory prize creates a factory class what makes you think blokes wont shoot HG and factory or LG and factory. We all know that wind reading ability is, as or more improtant that rifle accuracy so then we still have the newbies losing..but to guns just like theirs so thats not very encouraging.
Yes you can say clubs shouldnt allow that, but we know that some will, so as I said whats the point ???

Bring your varmit rifle .. shit I'll lend you a scope if you need one ... hit the Fly and get a patch. I have seen a novice shooter hit a Fly with a Savage 110 and 6-18 scope at 500 and another bloke with a Winchester 670 in 243, I have even seen seen a rimfire Fly hit with a stirling 22 and power points at 200M.
If you love a challenge and are not up yourself you will fit right in and have a ball its that simple.

Kenny thats what works .... well thats my opinion anyway

cheers
Rinso
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

I think the most impressive thing is he managed to hit anything with a stirling .22

Can't say ive heard many good things about them.

Personally i think people expect to much. Shooting in australia, in particular long range/fly doesnt have a big following to my knowledge. Having two classes while it would be great, seems like a big effort for the amount of people who would/do compete.
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Rinso,
All I am saying is that a factory prize creates a factory class what makes you think blokes wont shoot HG and factory or LG and factory.
Gotta admit...I never thought of that .....you have me leaning over the fence now, bugger ya :lol:
I can just imagine people complaining about not being able to cross nominate if it was called a 'newbie' class too :roll: oh well

KY