what is the best/most popular calibre for fly and why.???

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"Day All
Rinso-I will work toward that date, do some load testing and shoot a few rounds.
My family live in canberra ,so I should have a place to stay.
I presume it will be talked about her before hand so I will keep an eye out.
Regards
Damien Webb.
PS .What do they shoot in bathurst.(Range Wise).
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

native hunter wrote:G'day All
Ogre6br- I have a xr-100 in .204, I dont think she will cut it at that distance in the wind, Could still use it for fun though.
Regards
Damien Webb.
oooh but IF you get hooked getting a barrel fitted to the Xr-100 in 223 AI shooting 75 A-max would be a steeping stone in the addiction.
GRIN---
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

native hunter,

The SSAA here in Bathurst are useless, they run no comps at all, Its a disgrace really when they have a 900 yard range.

You work o ut a load you like with a pill you like and we'll go from there. What scope do have in mind to use at 500M :?: :?: :?:

cheers

Rinso
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G'day All
Rinso- I have a 6-24x42 tasco on her at the moment,pretty poor qlty but may let me at least see the target in the distance.
Regards
Damien Webb.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

native hunter,

Its less than ideal but see what happens when the shoot is closer I might be able to lend you 24 x leupold or something.
Set the rifle up so that you are about 11 inches high at 100m, and that the scope is in the middle of its adjustment range or as close as possible.
You need a pedestal benchrest and rear sand bag, this is much better than a bipod.

cheers
Rinso
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G'day All
Rinso-I have a pedestal rest and rear bag i use for rimfire BR, nothin flash but it does the job for me.!!
You say to set up the scope shooting ?11-12 inches high and then have the scope in the middle of its adjustment range ?
I am wondering how to get it to the middle of its range once i have adjusted it for 12 inches of elevation.?
how do I get that initial height to start with.
Regards
Damien Webb.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

native hunter,

The easiest method is to use shims under the mounts. These can be very flash or just cut from coke cans and layered to get the required lift.
You are looking at about 20 thou from memory.

cheers
Rinso
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G'day all
Thats sound easy enough, I will just buy a set of cheap feeler gauges and cut the 20 thou strip off.
Reagrds
damien Webb.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

Rinso Et al
please explain a little more

Under the mounts or do you mean between the rings and the scope??
and is the shims under both mounts or just the front or ?????

Are there mounts the you can buy where you can wind on windage and elevation before you have to start playing with the scopes internal adjustments??

Ahh coke cans ready made shims.

We had a machine at work that ran on a set of coke can shims 1000% better than proper brass shim. Strange

later
P
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

ogre6br ,
Under the mounts or do you mean between the rings and the scope??
I have seen it done both ways, I think (only my opinion) that putting things between the rings and the scope requires a lot of care and is a much more difficult task, this is because you have to keep it all even.
Shims under the base lift the lot and its easier to keep everything centred , once again only my opinion.
As far as what remember the basics of bore sighting, everything is backwards, so to bore sight and raise piont of aim you shim the back.

I have seen coke cans, thin card board and plastic from an ice cream container as well as brass and other metals.

As I said before though, I don't recommend doing anything that can't be undone until you are certain thats what you need. So try something simple like a basic shim under the mount or in the scope ring.

I presume you are doing this for 500 - 1000 yd so just do enough to try things out.

cheers
Rinso
ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

Rinso wrote:I presume you are doing this for 500 - 1000 yd so just do enough to try things out.

cheers
Rinso
when the 6BR's built it will be to try 500 FLY

later
p
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Damo and Ogre,

I think Rinso is leaning more towards the 1000 yds stuff with the need to shim. And I reckon I know his intentions :P :lol:
If you intend shooting 200m rimfire fly you will need to shim 20 thou or use a tapered base as the old pea rifle has a trajectory like a rock :lol:

I used a 6-24 Tasco for two years to shoot fly and never had any issues :D it was a bit underpowered but was a LOT better in a strong mirage that had the 36X crew whinging :lol:
Maybe just try winding your scope down the 96 clicks (8 to 1 inch)and see if it makes it, I am sure it will 8)

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,

If the Tasco has enough adjustment thats fine, I have seen a few blokes very disappointed when they turned up and couldnt get the elevation to hit the target.
I'd rather they have shims and know they will get the adjustment.

cheers
Rinso
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Rinso,

Is cool :D I thought maybe you were gunna get them into the 1000yrds as well :lol: I wasn't trying to bag your opinion :lol:

Is just that I rushed off and shimmed my scope for my first fly shoot, thinking I had to.... only to find my scope made it no worries but ran out of adjustment when coming back to 100yrds. This made for more work and time pulling it apart again and resighting it in before I could go hunting with it....is no big deal but :D

I just reckon they should try it, by counting the clicks it's a peice of piss to wind it back were it was with no harm done.

I s'pose it all depends on the rifles set up too, the scope/mount/action relationship may already have the scope towards the end of it's travel :wink:

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,

Yes mate nothing wrong with counting clicks and adjusting, in my experience though most hunters make an error in the basic set up of the rifle/scope for example

1. Not a lot of thought goes into mounts and rings, now you and I know that thew type and quality are very important, lots of folks just take what the shop is selling.

2. Lapped rings, most hunters look at you with that dull empty eyed expression when you ask if the lapped the rings. Dont even mention using a steel rod to ensure alignment of rings.

3. Drop the scope on and screw the rings down, next time you are at the range with hunters check how many bothered to screw the rings down evenly.

4. Bolt it on and bore sight it, usually results in half the vertical adjustment being used for the basic 100 m bore sight.

Based on all this very few rifles will adjust to 500 m and if they do its only just. I like to get them organised before they hit the range having travelled some distance to find its all going wrong.

But I agree if they can get 500m sighting and still have adjustment thats fine.

cheers
Rinso