AusVarminters 2007 Postal FLY Comp!!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Rules

Post by a.JR »

Ogre , Of The 5 different ranges accross AUS that i have shot FLY at none required any thing more than a shooters licence and or a national SSAA membership..If i struck a club that would not let you shoot in a regestered match without joining that particular club 1st ,i would attempt to get it removed from the SOTY calender as this is not fair to travelers.. Please check again at the nearest match venue to you as i don,t think you actually have a problem.. Most clubs will hope that if you turn up to a number of matchs you will want to join anyhow,but you can turn up to all 15 shoots in TSV without the requirement of club membership if thats what rings your bell..JR..Jeff Rogers.. PS.. Now back to the rules hey..
ogre6br wrote:Do you have to be a member of a club to shoot at a registered match?? or can you compete as a guest??

or can I join TSV club by mail and compete as a visiting member at melbourne

After my mates run in with MBRC I'm not sure I want to join them and go through the same shit he did.

later
p
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

gee i don't know about rule 10, how is that judged? :P
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Rule 10

Post by steven »

No one has been disqualified yet cos its so much fun. There was a borderline case at Tamworth this year but you couldn't disqualify the whole field could you a.JR.

Steven

ps. Ogre

Most ranges shooting fly in Aus are SSAA so you must be a licenced member of the SSAA to shoot.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Re: Rule 10

Post by ogre6br »

steven wrote:Most ranges shooting fly in Aus are SSAA so you must be a licenced member of the SSAA to shoot.
Have got that covered- been a member 15+ years- buy my memberships in 5 year blocks.

So all I would need to do is turn up on the day and provided the grid/draw/rotation/comp etc isn't full I should be allowed to shoot.

anyone know when the Melbourne Fly(s) is/are on ??

later
p
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

ogre6br,
The main one should be saturday the 5th May 2007, there will most likely be a couple of club matches as well during the year.

Will see you there mate.
cheers,
Shane
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

shane wrote:ogre6br,
The main one should be saturday the 5th May 2007, there will most likely be a couple of club matches as well during the year.

Will see you there mate.better get off my butt and send you those bits so I have something to shoot with.
cheers,
Shane
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

ogre6br,

keep an eye in the SSAA journal you will find these events in the comp section at the back. If the advert asks for pre nomination make sure you actually nominate, as the number of competitors is limited by the number of benches available Little River has a hundred benches but only had 10 target frames last year so I think 30 would have been the limit for shooter numbers.

cheers

Rinso
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Any of you blokes decide to turn up to a Fly shoot let us know and make yourself known when you get there ...

I am more than happy to help you out if I can

cheers

Rinso

ps aJR good concept mate, nice prize too .. tempted to have a crack at it myself ... then again the HG would sulk if it stayed in the cupboard
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Concepts!

Post by a.JR »

Hi Dave , You've been quiet, must be up to something Hey, probably those plans to kick me off the H/G perch i guess...The concept thing can only work if we can concrete the rules and regs.. I'd hoped for more input from a lot of you blokes ,can u throw any ideas in ,like yes ,no ,what about this , style of thing.. I value all input,think positive and have a say,please..JR..Jeff Rogers ..ps i think there will be more than one who will end up shooting 2 classes on the same day........................................
Rinso wrote:Any of you blokes decide to turn up to a Fly shoot let us know and make yourself known when you get there ...

I am more than happy to help you out if I can

cheers

Rinso

ps aJR good concept mate, nice prize too .. tempted to have a crack at it myself ... then again the HG would sulk if it stayed in the cupboard
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

aJR,

No not planning the coup just yet...that will start in March 2007 at Canberra hope to see you there.

I work away from home and am usually gone for 10 days at a time then home 4 or 5. While I am away I don't have a lot of spare time or easy access to the net so don't get here that much unless on days off. I am easy to get on the mobile.

I will have a think about it and get back to you.

Might chat to Dave Goodridge about it.

cheers

Rinso
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

et al,

The rules of the Fly Shoot
500m FLY RULES

1. Any Cal less than .50Cal.

2. Any stock configuration.

3. Any scope power including spotting scopes. Competitors may spot for each other.

4. No weight restrictions for Heavy Gun class. Light Gun class weight is 17lbs including bipods.

5. No rails ie: Guns shot from separate sand bag rest systems where the rear sand bag shall contact both the bench and the rifle. The front sandbag rest can be attached to a pedestal which can have adjustments for windage and elevation.
The rear sandbag may have a stabiliser plate surrounding it if desired. Light gun class are allowed bipods.

6. 7 minute details. 1 target per shooter per detail.

7. Only 5 shots on the target. 3 sighters at other medium (paper or steel) for each relay. Payment of nominations shall be deemed total acceptance of these rules.

8. No ‘muzzle brakes’.

9. Compliance with range safety rules at all times.

10. Any competitor found not enjoying themselves will be disqualified
IMHO the postal shoot rules should be ;

500m POSTAL FLY RULES

1. Any Cal less than .50Cal. Factory actions only (may be single shot or repeater) Action trueing and trigger adjustment acceptable. Benchrest modifications are not allowed ie no barrel blocks, sleeved actions etc

2. Factory or factory copy stocks only. Stock bedding is permissable

3. Any scope power including spotting scopes. Competitors may spot for each other.

4. No added weight or weight systems, rifles may not be customised for benchrest use in any way. Factory style is the accepted standard.

5. No rails ie: Guns shot from separate sand bag rest systems where the rear sand bag shall contact both the bench and the rifle. The front sandbag rest can be attached to a pedestal which can have adjustments for windage and elevation.
The rear sandbag may have a stabiliser plate surrounding it if desired. Light gun class are allowed bipods.

6. 7 minute details. 1 target per shooter per detail.

7. Only 5 shots on the target. 3 sighters at other medium (paper or steel) for each relay. Payment of nominations shall be deemed total acceptance of these rules.

8. No ‘muzzle brakes’.

9. Compliance with range safety rules at all times.

10. Any competitor found not enjoying themselves will be disqualified.

11. Targets MUST be signed by range officer or identified representative.
Photos of rifle used and rifle specs including load data to be submitted with target.

I have tried to stick to the basic Fly rules as I think this is necessary or you create a whole new discipline. The regular Fly shooters on this forum get to most shoots between them and could act as scrutineers / target witnesses for the purposes of this postal shoot.

Anyway see what you think of that .. I am sure someone will think of something I have forgotten

cheers
Rinso
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Rinso,

Mate.............. I think you have got it :D

I dunno about the photos but, I would be happy with an autograph from the RO of the day.

Have a merry xmas :D

Oh and how about rule 12......any chambering 'cept the overated 25/06 :P :lol:

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,

May have to consider rule 12, as you say its an unfair advantage to anyone smart enough to own one.

cheers
Rinso
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Rinso

Mate good to see you are still in the 'horrors' :lol: :lol: :lol:

KY
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

I like Rinso's rules :D I'd be pretty unhappy if single-shots weren't allowed as some varminting actions are built around them ... Savage VLP-S and RemXR-100 come to mind. I'd hate to be disallowed with the new VLP-S in 22/250 :cry:
When's the next Fly shoot at Little River (Eagle Park)? Might try sneaking down ... luckily I have a sense of humour and will no doubt need it at that distance.
Cheers...
Con
PS: Could we have an "under $500" class for the ex-range 308Win rifles with scope and mounts? :P :P Might try dragging a mate down to Little River as well.