ACT Aussie Day Matches

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Jimbo,

Steve got it.... :D But I only beat em when I get lucky :lol:

For me competing against the 'big boys' in the same detail just seems to put pressure on me.....what will be, will be :lol:
Your right, it's not a ..bad thing...it's great to learn from. All those blokes have helped me in one way or another over the last year or so, wether it be good/bad advice or just taking the piss out of me in general :lol:

Unlike most male dominated sports, in benchrest group shooting, it's not a good thing when comparing to say "mine is bigger" :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are the type of shooter I aspire to be, they don't always come first or shoot the smallest groups but they are consistant, and this is shown in the grand aggregate... which gets the plastic dust collector :D

kjd,

I am unsure if Brendan would be interested or not as he gets paid for that kind of thing these days. I will try to have a yarn to him about it at Canberra, To have 'the guru' on the forum would be one hell of a plus :D

Rinso,

Mate you are workin way too much latelly and I guess thats why you have been quiet......hey just realised you might be savin' some overtime to buy a .243............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,

Mate why on earth would I waste my hard earned on a niether your arse or elbow cal like the 243...to big to be a true varmiter to small for anything else ....

When you get to Canberra remind Shane Clancy to get my 6PPC off Mark White will ya

May your groups be tiny and your boasting large

cheers
Rinso
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Rinso,

:lol: mate ya answered your own question, the 243 IS the all round bullet.......turns varmints into fertiliser and drops the bigger targets on the spot...all with no fuss :D :P

I think your post may have already reminded him about your PPC.... if he reads it that is :D

Stay cool

KY
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Hey Guys, yeh i will be up friday arvo for the saturday and sunday shoots ( LV/HV.)

Yes Rinso i will pick up your rifle!

Hope to catch up with you guys there.
cheers,
Shane
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

So how did evertone that went to the long weekend shoot fair?

Some good results?
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Al,
I didn't go but having seen the results, jeez I'm glad I was at home. It looks like the wind was the only winner and a lot of great shooters came unstuck big time. Maybe the 2007 Australia Day matches will make the 2007 easter nationals at Little River look like a picnic! It was a true hard fought survival match, definately did not appear to be anyone trying to win just keeping them together would have been the real competition!
cheerio Ned
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

al-bow,

WELL.....................UMMM...Ahhhhh yep shot fair alrighty :D

FAIRLY BAD that is :lol: , got lucky in the 100yds but crapped myself in the 200yds events.
I even went out back to the 'self psych clinic' and gave myself 3 hard uppercuts......and that didn't wake me up either :lol:

Still.... It was a good weekend, I got to meet Shane and a stack of other people and caught up with some more I already knew.

I think the highlight of the weekend was when a piece of plywood was blown onto my rifle and knocked it off the gun stand........I only heard the CLACK and looked around to see it doing it's last bounce across the concrete :shock: :shock: :shock: dinged the tube, the scope and chipped the hell outta the stock....oh well...shit happens :cry:

KY
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,

hmmmm

K Yates
Sporter class
Won 100 yd agg
11 overall

LV
Won 100 yd agg
smallest group B relay .181
27 overall

HV
Won 100 yd agg
28 overall

2 GUN AGGREGATE
24th of 61

3 GUN AGGREGATE
18th of 40

Not so bad and finished ahead of quite a few HoF's
well done

Rinso
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Kenny

When you saw your rifle on the ground... I am just curious as to how many F words you fitted into the one sentence?

Have any of you tried the "Zero" projectiles?

I have not got my reamer yet for the PPC, although I am still very interested in the PTG Jackie Schimdt reamer. I dont think the Elf's will seat very good with this reamer, and the Zero's will be my option.

What ogive are the Elf's. They are different from the Bart's. I think the Zeros are closer to the Barts, which the reamer is set up for.

Maybe a shortened JGS 1045 design?

CHeers
AI
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

AI,

I shot some Zeros last year that were given to me by the guy who makes them. Didn't notice anything different about them compared to Elfs or Warwicks. Daves a nice bloke and I dont think you would go wrong with his bullets. Dont get carried away with shooting Barts or high ogive bullets. Get the Jackie Schmidt reamer or the standard PTG 6ppc reamer and get it modified to what neck diameter and freebore length you want. A good compromise would be a 30 to 40 thou freebore length to shoot any bullet in the 67gn range. Don't go near the JGS 1045 reamer. The arse end is a little big, the oal length is too long and the 60 thou freebore length is too long with the oal length. The cost to modify it would be over $180us, whereas the PTG modified would be $138us.

Elf are about 7 ogive. Not many aussie bullets are higher that I know of. The problem of setting up for Barts is the availability. You can always get Elfs and there are atleast half a dozen bullet makers out there like Zeros,ISPs,CDCs, KCs,Warwicks & Keuhns that are all as good as each other.

Steve
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Steven

So the Elf's and Zero's are very close in design? If thats the case the one reamer should handle both these types then?

I am thinking of the PTG reamer, only because of using the Redding small base die.

If I go Jackies reamer, I will have to work out what reamer spec's I'll need for the Elf's and Zero's as it is set up for the Barts. I will also have to order a custom FL die.

What FL die are you using, and what reamer design.

The one thing for certain is I will be using a 0.269 neck, and using a bullet that is easily available!

Cheers
AI
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

AI,

No one that I am aware of is making Bart type double ogive bullets in Aus so there is no use in having a reamer designed for that bullet. I am sure most bullets made here are in the 7 to 8 ogive so a freebore length around 40thou and a case length from 1.500" to 1.510" is fine. There is nothing wrong with a .269nk. there are a few shooter using them and some are using .270.

I have 2 reamers. The first one I bought was the JGS 1045 and the second one Kenny bought was the standard .262nk PTG reamer. I have a Redding small base die and a Harrel vari-base die that neck sizes and bumps the shoulder and re-sizes the base only by using bushes of various sizes to match your chamber size at the base. I only use the Redding S/B die if the cases get tight after using the Harrel bump die.

I'll look at the reamer prints later but the PTG reamer goes something like this.

OAL= 1.510"

Neck= .262"

Freebore length=0.050"

Base diameter=0.440"

JGS 1045

OAL= 1.520"

Neck= .262"

Freebore Length= 0.060"

Base Diameter= 0.441"

Steve
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Yeh guys the conditions were real interesting.

Sure kept us on our toes.

Quiet a few times i found myself with less than a minute left to go and only one round on the score target waiting for some consistancy to retun to the wind.

Was good to meet you Kenny, you sure cleaned up the 100yrds matches well. Have you respayed that stock yet?
cheers,
Shane
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Shane,

Talked to Kenny last night. He has big plans for re-painting the stock. Will let him reply. We have found a supply of glitter so there will be some fancy painted stocks around later in the year. I'll post a photo of my Brno rimfire Kenny did for me later. A photo doesn't do it justice but it sure looks good in the flesh.

Steve

Image[/img]
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Jeez you blokes have been busy since I was here last night....

Rinso,

Mate it was one hell of a hard weekend condition wise, I just got lucky in the 100's. After talking to some of the regular attendees at Canberra it was the worst conditions there ever for an Aus day shoot . The 200 was a series of train wrecks for me and I broke the border in LV and HV, copping a 2" penalty for that sorta rooted the aggs in those :lol: And I was just outclassed in the sporter :D hard earned experience but :roll:

AI,

EFF words.........mate I couldn't speak for the first 5 minutes, think I was just gasping for air.......

I have not tried the Zeros as yet, I have shot well with both Barts Ultras and ELF's. For me ELF's are it...they are readily available, and work in every chamber I have. Steven has it all covered I see :D

The .269" neck is gaining in popularity for sure, I believe the only reason tight necks came about was from brass quality issues back in the bad ole days, modern brass is sweet in comparison.

Shane,

Yeah mate, great to meet you too, is good to put a face to the names :D gunna have to head up to eaglehawk pub for a few refreshments next time but.

Are you going to the Natonals at Little River ?

I reckon when it's close we should organise a 'face up' with all the members down that way and all get together :lol: :lol:

The stock......no paint yet, still throwing colours and ideas about atm :D

Steven,

Yep it turned out 'orright' that stock......I am in no way supersticious but 'lucky irish green' can't be bad :lol:

KY