AusVarminters 2007 Postal FLY Comp!!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Rule Making!

Post by a.JR »

Hi Guys, While i have no real dog in this fight, i would if i were you guys ,use a little caution in makeing these rules.. One thing a bloke like me will always do is to use the available rule book to it's maximum... If you open up the rules to much then there are lots more in the world just like me that can then take this "TEST" class to a stage where it may as well be Light Gun ,then it has no chance of being included full time..If we were to allow all single shots and cheap Bigbore rifles then i don't see a place for the true varmint gun..There comes a time where a simple rule like "no single shots" makes the class workable and will affect only a few but suit the majority.. Then how do u police a guy that says his Mastin / Barnard / Nightforce combo (that we know cost him $5000) but he says it only cost $495 ... If you go to the spot on this site where there is a picture of my Heavy Gun ,look at it ,now think of the gun i would come up if you leave the door open..JR from Mackay
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

aJR,

I hear ya mate, but you are opening a can of worms with the Varmit gun but not single shot 'ruger No 1's are not target actions' they are single shot. A rem XR 100 in 223, 204, 22-250 are all varmit rifles but have a single shot action.
Old or new full bore rifles should be out they are a target rifle and are purpose built.
Sako TRG are a factory rifle not target specific should they be in or are we ruling out certain factory rifles. Accurized Rem700 Sendero with basic bolt true in bedded aftermarket varmit stock is OK but TRG and XR 100 straight out of the box are out ?????
Good luck sorting that out.
Maybe a rule about the rifle being in the spirit of the Varmit class ie XR 100 is ok as its a purpose built varmit rifle ???? Borden actioned Rifle with Mastin target stock is not a varmit rifle ????

PS I have no interest in this class so I am not biased toward any particular idea but I do believe if you want to include new shooters you need to keep it simple. Its unfortunate that you can't always rely on people to behave in a sporting manner.
Anyway I am off to work tomorrow for another 10 days so you lot can chat amongst yourselves.

cheers
Rinso
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Stocks!

Post by a.JR »

Hi all , These rules are going along a bit slowly,so i'm going to attack things one at a time ..If i could get some feedback as to the width of your varmint stock please, ie how wide the forend is and the brand/manufacturer.. Many answers to this will make the job easier so even if this comp is not your cup of tea if you have a proper varmint rifle ,measure the forend width please ..JR,,Jeff Rogers
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

AJR..

I think the main ruling for this class is the stock.

A factory barrel doesnt last forever, so if you rechamber your rifle with a new barrel from the likes of maddco etc, does this leave your gun not within this class?

If you rechamber the rifle, no wildcat or target calibers. Barrel length 26" only? Barrel contour same as factory?

No match bullets to be used? Hard to police?

Action, by time the action is trued a custom action is going to have very little over it.

Maybe scope power will be another area that can be ruled, no greater than 25X?

Trigger? No custom trigger? Hard to police again?

Rifle weight?

Now, for the stock, the butt must be angled, and the forend should not be flat bottomed, but rounded or bever tail and under a certain width, maybe 2.5"?

Could I get away with this?

Remington XR100 trued action and stock, maddco barrel 26" factory taper, Leupold 8-25X50 L/R scope, worked factory trigger, and chambered in 260rem or the 6.5swed?

I see you live in Mackay AJR... thats where the fella went D.U.I. driving his ride on lawn mower to the bottle shop to get another slab isnt it???

Cheers
AI

Sorry if these have been answered before in post... but thats a whole lot of reading!!!!
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

stocks

Post by steven »

Jeff,

Ruger VT stock is 2 1/4". Rem 40x is also 2 1/4".
This is getting too complicated.

1. Factory barreled action. (no custom barrels)

2. Varmint style stock no wider then 2 1/4" (no target style)

3. Accessory trigger.

4. Any scope power.

AI,

Jeff's from Townesville. Aussie Bobs from Mackay but doesn't frequent this site, mainly AHN.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

How about,

Factory stock, factory action trued or untrued. no more then a 32x scope. shoot the fly and away we go.
albow
.257 Roberts

stock dimensions

Post by albow »

Jeff

Tikka T3 Varmint - Forend 40mm wide at tip and widening to 55mm at the back.

Al.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

How about,

Factory stock, factory action trued or untrued. no more then a 32x scope. shoot the fly and away we go.
I 2nd that!!!. Keep it simple aye.... If the idea's to get a few new people into the sport, then the best thing to scare them off would be a complex rule book.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Guys,
This is exactly the problem a mate and I are having in defining "varmint rifle" for a local competition. How do you set rules that allows someone with a Tikka M55 in 222Rem to shoot alongside a trued Rem700 with all the bling bling gear? I still like Rinso's rules as being plain and simple.
If its called a "varmint class" then most accuracy buffs start with a factory production varmint rifle ... I think that's the best place to start writing the rules... factory production rifle with factory barrel, factory stock. Bedding is your call as are trigger mods but its an original trigger with functional safety. Scope unlimited.
Almost tempted to limit calibre to a maximum of 6mm as anything beyond that moves out of the varminting area and into the "tactical" realm.
My thoughts.
Cheers...
Con
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I agree with you con except with the tactical thing. I have a 7mm-08 varminter and jase has a 25-06 ruger VT. I wouldnt call either a tactical rifle.
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Ways!

Post by a.JR »

Hi all , I'll go another track if we put a limit of 58 mm on the forend of a varmint style stock ,WILL THIS EXCLUDE YOUR RIFLE OR ANY BRANDS YOU KNOW OF ,Shane you may be able to throw some light on here..JR..Jeff Rogers
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Just to throw in a curly one........ would this be eligable?

http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm

Also, what if someone turned up to a shoot with a cooper rifle chambered in the likes of 6mmBR? Are these rifles regarded as factory rifles?

CHeers
AI
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Re: Ways!

Post by shane »

[quote="a.JR"]Hi all , I'll go another track if we put a limit of 58 mm on the forend of a varmint style stock ,WILL THIS EXCLUDE YOUR RIFLE OR ANY BRANDS YOU KNOW OF ,Shane you may be able to throw some light on here..JR..Jeff Rogers

My imput here would be to allow up to 2 1/2" (63mm) wide forends to cover things like Ruger VT's and Win stealths which are just under this.Approx.60mm.

Good luck with this guys there are a hell of alot of things to cover.
cheers,
Shane
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

You guys are really confusing the issue here. It will never get off the ground unless it is simplified.

Factory Stock & Action. It its primary use is for field work I.E Varminting it should be allowed.

The more I see of this sort of thing the more I really don't want to support it as I think it will end up a tremendous shit fight when we start taking forend width and what not into account not now but what if person A gets the shits with person B because Person B won and had a stock 1mm over the width. If its a varmint modelled rifle then so be it. If its primary use is varminting then it should be allowed to enter. I have a 10lb 222 with huge fore end and fat arsed barrel that would be no more or less competitive as any other varminter but yet these rules would exclude its use.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Ackley Improved wrote:Just to throw in a curly one........ would this be eligable?

http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm
That was my idea behind the 6mm rule ... to limit the use of Tactical rifles and the new Savage F-Class rifles. There are problems however with even a 6mm rule ... Ruger VT 25/06s, Savage BVSS in 300WSM, etc etc
If someone had a Sako 6mmPPC (or Cooper) in the safe, I'd be happy shooting alongside them if its a varmint rifle and in the spirit of the event.
Wasn't there a rule about "having fun"? The more technical the rules, the more reasons you'll find to keep the grass-roots people out. Its these people that need some lee-way to get into the sport ... once hooked, then bash them with rules as they start shooting for sheep stations.
Cheers...
Con