Sydney Fly Dates

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Sydney Fly Dates

Post by Kenny »

A mate of mine sent me this, so I thought I would share it with all you 'good' guys. Ya got first so be nice :lol:

KY

SSAA SYDNEY BRANCH, hosts
The SYDNEY BENCHREST FLY CHAMPIONSHIPS
SATURDAY 5 & SUNDAY 6 MAY 2007
* Trophies * * Competitor Patches * * BBQ Lunch *
Weekend Outline: This event will consist of both separate Rimfire and Centrefire fly events.
Note: - Over the weekend, please ensure you sign in at the range prior to handling firearms.
- Shooters licence, Safe storage, Spotting scopes, Eye & Ear protection, etc are your responsibility.....
SATURDAY RIMFIRE FLY SYDNEY CHAMPIONSHIPS
SILVERDALE RANGE (Western Sydney) located 4km down Avoca Rd.
7.30am: Arrival and sign on. No entries accepted after 8.30am
8.30am: WARM UP- Unlimited shots in 10minutes. 1 target only – not to count.
Event: Rimfire Fly, 5 business targets @ 200 to count (Open Class) - 40rnds.
This event is shot on a non-splash metal plate range. Each shooter, per detail, will have 1 business target, and 1
plain/blank sighting sheet. 5 business shots to score on target, and 3 sighters (max) on sighter sheet per detail.
Note: - This event is shot in details, relays and bench numbers. This is allocated at sign on, and fixed all day.
Trophies:
- Top 12 (Dirty Dozen) for event aggregate. Top Junior.
- Smallest group trophy, Highest target score trophy.
Rules: This is an open class event, and any LR Rimfire rifle with any sights permitted. No rails allowed – rifle must be
shot of 2 separate rest systems (typically pedestal front and sandbag rear). Each detail is 7 minutes long. In this 7
minutes, you will fire your 5 business shots, and 3 optional sighting shots.
Range Particulars: This is a dedicated benchrest range. Fixed concrete benches under a sheltered firing line.. Chairs
etc provided. You will need to provide all shooting equipment and requirements. Ammo available at the range for a fee.
Snacks and drinks available from canteen. Sausage sizzle lunch free.
SUNDAY CENTREFIRE FLY SYDNEY CHAMPIONSHIPS
HORNSBY RANGE (Northern Sydney)
Take Galston turn at Hookhams Corner. After turn, follow signposted route indicating Hornsby Rifle Range or Mt Wilga
Hospital. Range road entrance adjacent to the hospital. Please obey speed signs.
7.30am Arrival and sign on. No entries accepted after 8.30am
8.30am: WARM UP- Unlimited shots in 10minutes. 1 target only – not to count. Depending on entries, this warm up
target/phase may be scrapped for a single 5minute application sighting session on 4x4 targets to save time.
Event: Centrefire Fly, 5 business targets @ 500m to count - 40rnds incl 3 sighters per target.
This event is shot on a butts/target gallery type range that does not allow for metal splash plates. Each shooter, per detail,
will have 1 business target, and 1 plain/blank sighting sheet on a 4x4 screen. 5 business shots to score on target, and 3
sighters (max) on sighter sheet per detail. When a sighting shot is fired onto the sighter sheet, that target is pulled, spotted
(with golf tee) then put back up for firers view. Shots are NOT spotted on business/scoring target (the target is left up).
Note: - This event is shot in details, relays and bench numbers. This is allocated at sign on, and fixed all day.
Gun Classes: - Light Fly Benchrest Gun - 17lb max mass, 3” fore-end, no muzzle break, max 8mm(local rule).
- Open Fly Benchrest Gun - Unlimited mass, unlimited config, no muzzle break, max 8mm.
Note: Almost any, and every, rifle will fit into the above categories. 8mm cal max is a range licence limitation.
Trophies:
- Top 12 (Dirty Dozen) event aggregate Outright (irrespective of gun class). Top Junior.
- Top 3 in each Light Gun Class event aggregate.
- Smallest group trophy, Highest target score trophy, (irrespective of gun class).
Rules: No rails allowed – rifle must be shot of 2 separate rest systems (typically pedestal front and sandbag rear). Each
detail is 7 minutes long. In this 7 minutes, you will fire your 5 business shots, and 3 optional sighting shots.
Range Particulars: This is a fixed target line range. Benches are portable type, in open weather, on a grass ground held
down with sand bags. Firing line shelter and chairs are provided (hat, sunscreen and umbrella or shade gazebo
recommended). You will need to provide all shooting equipment and requirements. We recommend you come fully
loaded and self sufficient for a fantastic day of shooting that everyone is welcome to attend.
Cost: Saturday Rimfire $23 – Jnrs $15. Sunday Centrefire $30 per class – Jnrs $20.
* * * NO NEED TO PRE-NOMINATE. JUST SHOW UP ON THE DAY....... * * *
Fees include a free basic BBQ sausage sizzle lunch both days. Drinks and snacks extra.
Accommodation is available around town and in local area – self to organise.
Extra info on either events etc, David Waters AH) 02 4739 6422, e-mail: fly@ssaasyd.com
* * * Note: Organisers reserve the right to change the event or schedule without notice * * *
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

both events are top days. The only thing that cheeses me off is the fact that we don't get to shoot enough 500m events.
How can we shoot the 500 m fly more often at Hornsby or Canberra?
Malcolm
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Sounds Good.

We had better let Melbourne know as they usually have their fly shoot around that time.

I will tell Pete next time i speak to him.

Its good to set these dates nice and early.
cheers,
Shane
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Shane,

Good idea, a clash of dates would be tragic for attendance numbers...then again ....would it :lol:

Malcolm,

My mate is one of the RO's at Hornsby, I am unsure if they shoot 500m for a practise event throughout the year or not. I will ask and find out for you.

As I understand it, the pressure on all of the Sydney ranges is enormous with several clubs/diciplines using them every weekend, so the organisers near have to be picking the date 12 months in advance to gaurantee a spot :shock:

Just wondering....are you the Malcolm I know who owns a sweet SSMag in 30 cal ?

KY
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
I'd say the melbourne Fly shoot will probably be on the first Saturday of the month in May cause the Club gets the first Sat of the month at little River and the Vic BR titles are usually the 3rd weekend in May.................

I'll be seeing PVM tomorrow so i'll ask him if dates have been set for the 500mfly.

Cheerio Ned
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

!

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

Kenny, nope, I aint that guy------I'm the good looking one
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Malcolm

No worries pretty boy :lol: :lol: :lol:

JR

As I understand it - Hornsby range due to it's location has a max caliber rule up to 8mm. I'ts just one of those silly rules licensing has put in place for the range to be able to operate.

Iknow...I know...don't shoot the messenger it is craziness- as if it is distance that concerns them- any old 30 cal could go further than say a 45/70 :lol:

I don't know if you have been there or not but it is located on a strip of land right behind a hospital :!: you actually drive through the hospital carpark to get there :shock: so they are really as I see it.....lucky to still be there :D

KY
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day All,

I questioned Peter Van Meurs a couple of hours ago about the 2007 Victorian 500m Fly Champioship...............It is, and always will be the 1st Saturday in May, which next year will be the 5th.

This is bcause at the Little River, Eagle Park Range complex, the 1st Sat & 3rd Sun of each month is allocated to BR and the host club must conform within this schedule.

Cheerio Ned Kelly
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

JR

OHHHHHHHHHHH....OK

I dunno prolly a misprint :roll: .....................maybe, will check this out too :D

Ned...................DANG :!: new it would happen, same thing occured last year.......and it was mothers day as well :lol:

KY
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Kenny,a.JR,

We are all aware Sydney do what ever they want whenever they want regarding Fly shooting. Kenny has first hand experience with them. The stock rule regarding 3" fore ends is not a Fly rule. The Fly rule states "any stock configuration". They also previously advertised the 22 rimfire Fly as 200m but from what I could see and from talking to the people who work at Silverdale you cannot get 200m otherwise you need to dig out the sandstone wall at the back.

Steve
a.JR
6mm Dasher

!

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Steven and JR

Oh no ....don't get me started on what they have done :(

But......JR if that rule was in I really wanna know 'cause I came second to big Mick with his Heavy gun, now I think he has a HBR stock with a 5" forend on his big python (or whatever that flamin snake is)
sooooo....if so does that mean I actually won ? cause there was no Light gun trophy handed out and I won 'Light' ..and we only shot 8 targets ..sooo were the rules 'bent' or.........dang Stevo ya got me started bugger ya, I wasn't gunna whinge about it as ..shit happens. I think I will just say -

Yes Steven I agree :D and then bite my tongue

and for the 200m verses 200 yrds, jeez I hope no poor bugger gets a record score :shock:

Dang...who's making all that noise in here....shut up will ya.....oops it's me again :lol: :lol: :lol:

KY