Brisbane Fly Shoot

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Brisbane Fly Shoot

Post by malcolm »

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Brisbane 500m Fly shoot was held today.
Any one got near a computer yet to lets us guys know how it all went???
Malcolm
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I was just about to post, but Malcom beat me to it.

29 shooters in all.

HG 1st Jeff Rogers 245.3
2nd Steve Nash 192.1
3rd Seb Lambang 191.3

LG 1st Ian Davis 177.1
2nd Les Flood 172.2
3rd Peter Henry 169
HG SG Seb Lambang 1.70"
HG HS single card Seb Lambang 55.3

SG LG Peter Henry 2.6"
HS LG Peter Henry 50.

JR has taken out the HG SOTY with a score of 684 plus lots of flies.
Ian Davis is the LG SOTY with a score in the 560 area winning by just 2 clear flies. Very close indeed.

I have had a couple of conversations with JR today and it would seem that he and some other shooters were having problems with pressure due to atmospheric conditions. Judging by Jeffs best group being only at 2.6", i would suspect that the load went over the top. Some were having difficulty with extraction and atleast one was ejecting with a cleaning rod after the extractor had broken. Conditions according to JR were quite good with readable mirage and relatively moderate wind, so i think he might be kicking himself for not getting that elusive 250.
Jeffs euipment was:
WEC RBLPDP action
Broughton barrel 30 cal 1 in 13.5 twist four groove. (tensioned alloy tube)
Stocked by himself.
Nightforce 12 x 42
300 Redneck
Lapua cases
210 M
74 g VV 560
187 BIB.

Just looking quickly through some old scores, i think this is the biggest winning margin in Fly shooting. The flat base bullet needs a much closer looking at.
Well done to all.
Tony Z.
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Nicely shot JR :)
Congrats to all and to Peter H in particular.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Tony Z,

Good report mate..a.JR well done..told you weeks and weeks ago you would win HG SOTY.
Ian Davis well done mate LG SOTY and LG Fed Cup in your 1st year at Fly what you gonna do next year ???????

Well done to all the competitors ... Seb Lambang would be Seb of "Seb's benchrests" and I am sure he would be thrilled with that result.

Nashy solid 2nd mate how did you do in the point blank...Kenny what happened mate ???????

cheers

Dave P
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Dave, i wasn't aware it was Ian's first year at Fly. That is a real good effort and again congrats to him.
JR tells me that the sheep shoot was taken out by Brendan Atkinson. He has now done it all many times over, so lets hope he takes the trainer wheels off and comes on over to LR. :lol:

Tony Z.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Tony,

Yes Ian has set a standard for himself now ... plenty of blokes in LG will keep him honest.

BA is a good hand at the Point blank and I think shot LR occassionally years ago at canberra but I dont think he's likely to move sideways just yet.

Tell JR I said congrats when you talk to him next...and I will be taking the SOTY off him next year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers

Rinso
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

scores.?

Post by native hunter »

G"Day All
Could someone please explain how the scoring system works in these events, seeing 243.3 or something similiar means nothing to me if I dont know how it works/scores :? .
A full overview of the scoring system would benefit alot of visitors to this site.
Regards
Damien webb.
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Rinso,

I shot pretty ordinary. Could have done without some 1" groups at 200. I was 17th at 100 LV, 3rd at 200LV and 4th OA. I was 6th in 100 HV, 22nd at 200 HV and 10th OA. Came 6th in the 2 gun. Shot small group at 200 in LV with a .274". I was one of the shooters having extraction problems in the Fly. My loads at home would come out easy but in Brissy I had to put my thumb over the scope to get the bolt open. Tims young bloke broke his extractor and Tim was also having sticky bolt problems.

Damien,

A score of say 243.3 means the shooter has scored 243 points and 3 fly hits. A tied score is broken by fly hits. Fly shooting is scored by score and group. Your score is added up then the group is measured. For a 0" to up to 1" = 10 points. Over 1" to 2" = 9 points and so on to 10" for 1 point. All 5 shots have to be on the paper to count as agroup but dont have to be scoring shots. So if you dont score on the scoring rings you can still get a group score if all shots are under 10".

Steve
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Steven,

Sounds like a hard day at the office ... nah its still better than the office..

well I'll be away for about 10days so will chat when I get back.

cheers
Rinso
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

native hunter,

Steven has explained it pretty well, I will try to pick up a few bits he didnt cover..
This is the fly target it is a 9 inch mothball type

As Steven indictated 5 scoring shots are based on the scoring rings (best edge is scored) then a group score is added based on 1" or less 10 points to under 10' 1 point. Fly hits are shown as .1 (so a group measuring say 3.5 inches would score 7 points.)
The photo shows a score of 3 x 9, 2 x 10 giving a point score of 47
group is .960 in this example so the score is under 1' 10 pts
total score 57 points.

The best score possible is 60.5 per target a score thats never been made.
A match generally comprises 5 targets and an optional warmer target(not scored) fired in 7 minute relays.
Best score for a match 60.5 x 5 = 300.25 (Fly hits do not upgrade to points)

Majura Range Canberra from behing the bench. Target line is the row of white in distance

hope this helps
cheers
Rinso
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

i wish i had asked that question months ago :oops: good explaination guys.

What is the difference between Light and Heavy Gun? Do they run comps at different distances?

One last Questions what is SOTY (??? of the year?)?
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

bsimps05,

Light Gun is restricted by weight to 17lbs and under
Heavy Gun or Open Gun is unlimited excludes only rail type guns
(Look up rail guns on Benchrest Central for an explanation of rail guns)

No all Fly shoots are 500 metres (550 yards)
We are starting to see some talk of 600 m events popping up these are american events, and of course the 1000 yards are always around at Majura and Townsville and the weights are the same but Light gun shoot 5 shot targets and Heavy shoot 10 shot targets.
SOTY is Shooter of the Year, 2 classes Heavy and Light best 3 scores for the year count best total wins.

i have a range of photos from Fly shoots showing equipment and such which I will post if enough of you are interested and Admin dont mind.
May even reveal some faces to match some names ie a.JR, Tony Z, Steven, Resident gunsmith "Shane" but will be away for next 10 days so when I get back. Let me know if interested.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

yeah go for it rinso (up to admin of course) but i love looking at targets groups and rifles etc. It is must mind blowing the amount of money you can spend to get the upmost amount of performance from it.
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

Holy Hell, Rinso--------what a group. .960 at 500m.
I'd better practise a whole lot more to even try and be competitive.
congrats on the group
Malcolm
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

malcolm,

I wish it was mine but sadly it isn't. Peter Van Muers of ProCal trading shot that one and its the current world record..

cheers
Rinso