100/200yd score shooting

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

100/200yd score shooting

Post by Ackley Improved »

Hi

I know group shooting is popular, but what about score in Australia?

Waiting on parts for my PPC, so soon I will be in the world of short range benchrest... just putting out the feelers for what matches are around!

30BR anyone?

Cheers
AI
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

AI

yeppies, Steven, a few non forum members and myself have 'stepped out' and gone with 30BR's just recently and there are several already being used for Fly,group and score around the place. Aussie Bob from up JR's way has had some success with his.

They are a neat little bullet, check out the info on the 6BR.com. They claim it can throw a 118 grainer quicker than the 6BR can throw a 107..I just hope they shoot like the yanks say...... :roll:

I only got the reamer yesterday afternoon and gave it to Steve today....I reckon ..right about now he would be down in his shed fitting his tube to the Stolle :lol: I am going to try mine in an experimental rail gun for shooting group, if no joy then I will wack it into the Bat and go shoot some score with it.

I think.....most of NSW score is shot at Newcastle, there is no calander out as yet (that I have seen) showing the registered matches. I am sure the other states hold registered events as well, just have no details as yet. Some clubs shoot score throughout the year...others don't...maybe you will get lucky and find one close to you.

Registered matches are shot within the the 'Hunter class' rulings of the SSAA - Centrefire hunter is 3" forend and 6x scope with a 10lb weight limit. Custom Hunter class is a 14lb limit and unlimited scope power :D In a way I hope the rail is the goods so I will just 'have to' buy another tube for the benchgun :lol:

KY
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Kenny..

I take it your 30BR will be HV? Are you going to try it with group then?

When my Diamondback arrives, if Im happy with it and the drop port I was thinking of ordering another for a 30BR!!!!

The 30br will be a rifle that you can shoot heaps, cheap to run and the barrel life will be huge!!

If I use the same components to the 6mmPPC that is being built, then I should be able to go between the two rifles and be comfortable.

That is why I chose the Shehane tracker for both my 6mmDasher and 6.5-284!

What Aussie bullets are available for the 30BR?

Have you had much experience with the weavers and Sightrons?Have a 45X Leupold for the PPC, but darn they are expensive!!

Cheers
AI
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Kenny,

Fitted the barrel last night...Never going to buy a Tobler barrel again.

AI,

There is next to no Score shooting shot in Aus. Newcastle in NSW and Springsure, Warwick and Brisbane in QLD (either one of these shoot State or regional shoots each year) are the only major shoots that I know of. I will be shooting mine mainly in group shooting as a Heavy Varmint if these barrels are up to scratch. Will be running 2 barrels in on Sunday morning to see if they are any good.

Steven
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

AI

Yes will build it to HV spec for the benchgun, have gone with a 1.250" paralell tube but want to try it in the railgun first.

Experimental is shot in ten shot groups and you really need to dedicate a tube just for that purpose. Steve and I own a half share in 'the rig' and will both use it in comp, hopefully we should get some life from the 30 cal tube rather than burn a 6mm one out, that is if we ever get it going....we just have a pile if bits and pieces atm :roll:

I know it will not perform as well as a PPC in the sense it won't shoot tiny little groups, but it's all about the agg at the end of the day so hopefully it will group consistantly enough to get into the top 10, this will go towards the state 4 gun grand agg :D

Theres a few custom pills about that are made in Aus - CDC's, Littles and Khuens, there could even be more...Steven has a good knowledge of what's what......I reckon the Sierra 110gners would be OK in a pinch anyway. I can see a few days load testing ahead :lol:

So what stock/tube/chamber did you go for with the Diamondback ?

The Loopy is probably THE scope to own, but they have had a few problems of late...I don't know if they have addressed the issue at he factory or not, the warranty is genuine though...but I have heard one benchrest competitor complain about them "not coming with frequent flyer points" for the 'free' warranty repairs :lol: Having said that I know people who have had no probs at all :D

Sightron and Weaver are both great scopes, and are really all you need for benchrest shooting. You would not be dissapointed with either of them. You could prolly get 2 Sightrons for the cost of 1 loopy.
IMO Nightforce is the best scope on the market but they are too flamin heavy for short range BR rifles' weight rules.....unless you want a sporter tube on your HV :lol:

KY
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

AI,
Hey mate Wagga do shoot for score matches all the time, its casual but they do shoot it.

Steven,
Good luck with the barrels mate!

cheers,
Shane
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Steven,

OHHHHH.... I take it things did not go well then.........did you manage to get a bush made/butchered to fit ?..... wondering if we are going to get pressure problems with it being soooo tight.

KY
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Gunnedah shoot Score occasionally so I might talk to them about shooting it more.

Thanks Shane will need all the help I can get.

Kenny,

Dialled in on the lands...the rod went in about 1"...I used the bushing that I had made for Boyleys and your barrel. Was a bit tight but seemed OK...are you sure you don't want to come around and chamber your barrel...will give you some experience in what barrel not to buy and why...well we'll see what pressure we get on Sunday...I know I can't run the same loads in all my other tobler barrels as I can with Maddco's so not expecting this to be any different.

Steven
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Steven

Yeah I will do it...........I wonder how far that thing would fly..definately not gunna bend it like a boomerang as I would not want it coming back if I chuck it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont think Shane can give you the help.... you need...... :P :P :P :lol:

KY
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Kenny,

I think Shane was being sarcastic. He's probably had the Tobler experience. I notice Peter Kay no longer advertises that he uses Tobler barrels. Might be a message there somewhere.

You never know they shoot better then anything but they might not, only time will tell. We could send Shane the action, barrel and reamers and he could fit them for us!!!!

Steven
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Mmmmm, the Tobler experience.

Shane.
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KY
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Mate

For my PPC I chose
Diamondback action, left port drop port
Kelby SPG stock
Barrel... what ever Shane has
Jewell trigger
45X Leupold

The Leupold I bought was secondhand, brand new but second hand. It has been sent back to Leupold and had the modification done. Was explained to me what is was exactly.. but I have forgotten!!

If I keep the components the same for the 30BR, I think I cant lose!!

Glad to see ther is no shortage of projectiles for the 30BR.... although I'd like to know how well the 110 Vmax goes as a varmint bullet out of a 30BR!!!

I recieve my Seb rest in Janurary which will be excellent as well!!

I would think that the 30BR would not give up much to a PPC in group anyway, as you said.. its aboutt he agg. not a individual group!

Cheers
AI

Cheers
AI
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

AI,

Mate...it sounds the goods :D

I think the Loopy problem was the erector tube spring breaking, the mods some do are drill the body and put a grub screw in to tighten up against the tube once you have set your zero......well I think that was it anyway.
An easy fix I think. I was going to buy one at one stage, but just couldn't convince myself to be trusting enough in it :roll:

I read somewhere the yanks are using the speer 125gn TNT to blow lil' critters to bits, I imagine the VMax would be similar.

The Sebs are getting very popular around the traps, and appear to be a quality product, he's a nice guy to..I met him at Brissy last month :D

I am hoping the 30 performs OK in group.....I just can't see teen aggs from it though. I would be happy with mid 3's .. :lol:

KY

"Waiting to live the Tobler experience"