AusVarminters 2007 Postal FLY Comp!!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

AusVarminters 2007 Postal FLY Comp!!

Post by a.JR »

Hi All , I have an idea of running a Postal Shoot for varmint guns ..After previous posts by U guys about shooting Varmint guns in Fly Shoots ,i thought a way to test the waters as to the viability of a Varmint section running side by side with the other Light and Heavy Guns was to run a postal match with the blessings of the Moderators of this site .. My ideas are only a guideline ,i require comeback from from you guys ..One of the regulars that competes in fly matchs thought it was a good enough reason for him to go out and buy a new gun to suit,so i guess it can work.. I see it going something like /The best target or targets that have been shot at a registered match all over Australia are submited to this forum as they happen over the whole year ../No restrictions on #s of entry's(does not have to be a SOTY event , club registered events OK).. We need simple rules ,try this , Varmint guns only ,No single shots ,No factory Hot Rods (40X or TRG etc), Factory Stock,Factory Action ,Factory Trigger,all other mods in,all other fly rules remain.. Obviously lots of different ideas will emerge, but remember simple is easy to police, but it will have to be your fellow shooters doing the policing because the light gun Fly Rules are very liberal.. Mabye the targets could include a pic of the rifle and gear with the target.. To get this off the ground in '07 i will supply a "Meplat Uniformer"tool as a end year winners prize presented after the last event of the year ,which is probably Nov in Brisbane ..So what do you think..JR..Jeff Rogers
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

what distance are you thinking?
a.JR
6mm Dasher

STD

Post by a.JR »

The only distance the Fly Shoot is conducted at is 500 meters for the centre fire event..JR..Jeff Rogers
bsimps05 wrote:what distance are you thinking?
Last edited by a.JR on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Ca nit be a copy of a factory stock?
I have a sporter stock on one of my rifles I was going to get a pantographed copy made of the factory varmint stock by geoff slee- would that be legal to use??

Can the factory action be "accurised" buy a G-smith??

what about actions getting a basic accurising so everything is aligned properly.
No barrel blocks or other BR stuff but a clean up of the factory action.

Maybe if you could post the current rules we can see how our various rifles may fit in the category?

thanks

later
p
ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

Will there also be a rimfire fly postal shoot??

later
p
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

Hi all,
this sounds like a fantastic idea JR, i think it has the ability to bring in a whole lot of new shooters, short range shooting is nice, however, there's nothing more satisfying than hitting a bullseye the size of a fifty cent piece half a "K" away. When you can do this on a regular occasion you can really call yourself a good shooter.

ogre6br, i don't think a rimfire class would be effective as the distance is a little too far, i have enough trouble getting a 200g 30cal round to the fly, i would hate to try it with a rimfire.

8)
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Pete,

Rimfire Fly is shot at 200m which is relatively equal to 500m Fly with a centrefire. There is only 3 clubs shooting 200m Fly I know of and 1 of these might not shoot it next year so I don't think it will be a viable proposition to run a Rimfire Postal.

Steven
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

I think this is a good idea also.

As for rifle bits, well as JR said facory repeater action, but in the true sense of a varmint rifle i feel trued unsleeved ( external sleeve that is)actions fitted with quality barrels should be fine and factory stocks or a varmint style after market stock not bench rest style would work.

Yes a photo of the rifle must be provided and the target/s should be signed by the range officer on the day.

Yes this could also apply to rimfire fly. Rimfire fly is shot at 200 Meters, must be meters not yards.

How does that sound? Should work?
cheers,
Shane
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

I think it's a cracker of an idea :D

As for trued..I think that would be fine to stop at sleeved actions as it would be an easy visual inspection of the gun.

For stocks, I think factory look would be ok :D

I dunno about the photos but ......I would think the people interested/officials would be of sound character and not be out to cheat....then again one of JR's trimmers is prolly worth cheating over :lol:

KY
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

thanks Steven,
now it makes more sence. :wink:
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Once all the rules and regulations are sorted out, we'll start a new topic which can be used as a sticky through out the year.

It might be worth while making an application form which just needs the blanks filled in. Might be easier to control that way???
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Rules!

Post by a.JR »

Hi All , Glad to see this could work ,the idea really came from a 16year kid at my local range ,he was looking at my biggun and lamenting the fact that his new 7/08 was probably not going to compete all that good .. Off the top of my head i said a postal shoot nation wide is the only way ,to get the concept of his skippy wacker being used in full competition evaluated to the stage where it could be added to the rules accross AUS.. Any how ,Rules ,i feel it's important to keep all rules to a minium, their are other Comps in AUS that spend great amounts of time inventing some nitpicking f...in paragraph in the rule book that only serves the inventor of said rule and is a pain to police for the rest ,Benchrest in general terms does not have this problem :- Rimfire= YES /200 met, same specs .. After market stocks = as long as their a Varmint stock ,who will know it's a copy or care .. To be fair to all as long as it's not a bench stock..1/ Stocks =Factory varmint..2/ Actions = factory /no additional attachments /no single shots :- ie 40X Rem or Sako TRG ETC..3 / triggers Factory / safe(who will be able to tell if it has been tweaked any how)4/ all other rules as per the Fly shoot(10 of)..Here i would like more input on targets ,i see the possibilitys as, 1 your best target for the year,2 your best set of 5 targets from the same match ,your best 5 from the year(have to be shot in a registered match ,SOTY or Club).. This is important as not many will travel... I don't see it as a problem to get your target and the gun U shot it with in a pic and think it's going to be good to see what everybody is using anyhow ,just see my picture producer for advice ,MR NASH esq.....Lets walk through the rules proposals above one at a time and get em on paper right from the get go ,the exsisting 10 rules of the Fly Match are not changeable..JR..Jeff Rogers ps..This means everybody interested ,Have your say now..
Last edited by a.JR on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

i dont know what the current rules are so I have nothing to comment on

can someone please scan and post them??

Thanks later
P
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

Do you have to be a member of a club to shoot at a registered match?? or can you compete as a guest??

or can I join TSV club by mail and compete as a visiting member at melbourne

After my mates run in with MBRC I'm not sure I want to join them and go through the same shit he did.

later
p