Wind Flags and wind reading

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Wind Flags and wind reading

Post by Ackley Improved »

Well, it hasnt been brought up as yet.. so here we go

What flags do you use for your given comp. (Fly, 1000yds, 100yd,200yd)?

How many?

Where do you locate them?

Do you set them up to be seen in the scope?

Any other thoughts on flags?

Wind probes?

Methods for reading flags?

This should start a good discussion, as I need to get some decent flags myself!

Cheers
AI
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

AI,

The big red range flags are good enough for 1000yd, turn up to Canberra for a Fly shoot and you will see plenty of designs.
IMHO the one that works best is the one you can read ... I can read several types but not all types and if you dont shoot over them regularly its a bit of a guess.
Best idea look at whats about at ranges decide what you like and then get used to them.
As Dave Goodridge says
Dave et al

In relation to wind flags, even if it were possible to construct a system that was-
· simple in design
· inexpensive and made from easily obtainable materials
· linear in operation and able to reliably indicate wind speeds up to 25knots
· extremely low in inertia and able to react instantaneously to variations in wind speed or direction.
· have no moving friction generating parts in its design
· be visible and readable by the naked eye up to 1000yards
· simple and quick to erect and take down
· have an indefinite service life
· capable of being produced in a range of sizes, that are analogous in sensitivity and deflection.
· not made in china

I would still need some type of inbuilt
QUICK SHOOT NOW
or
DON’T SHOOT (too late, seeee!!!! I told you not to shoot)
device within the system somewhere.

Could an automatically activated spring loaded hammer attached to the rear of the scope be of assistance to the above in minimising or eradicating misplaced shots?

Hmmmm, having given this a bit of thought and in consideration of my flyshoot efforts for quite a while, and also being somewhat allergic to pain, would it be legal to wear a helmet to the benchline??

would the hammer take the light gun over 17lbs?

do they make helmets with in built earmuffs?

what colours do they come in?

who sells them and at what price?

how many weeks to the march shoot?

have I got the time?

again, too many questions, not enough answers.

By the way, the mirror installed on the muzzle, highlights the main cause of all my shooting problems.
If you find some that do all that buy 2 sets cos I'll want a set as well

As for where do they go depends on the range, the wind, the day, your opinions, really its something you will learn with practice

cheers

Rinso
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

AI,
I think you have seen my flags?

They are not a bad design but some may not like them. If any thing they are a little small and can be hard to see past about the 300 yard mark but i trust them as they always give me a good indication of whats going on up there.

When ever possible i will always try and set my last few flags up so i can see them in through the scope. Depending on the range often this is not possible but i love it when i can.

I also like wind probes, in some wind conditions they are useless but i always like to have one or two out and then decide weather or not to take notice of them once i have watched them for a while.

My flag set consists of 6 flags, for 100 i use at least 4 and for 200 -500 all 6.
I will place them on the range down my target line at reasonable even spacings for 100 and 200 but for 500 i will follow my target line most of the time but the spacings will often vary as i find areas of possible higher wind, but that all depends on the range layout.

I am not very good at describing how i read the wind but basicly its all about finding a wind condition that repeats itself and will hold long enough so you can get your rounds down. And knowing your flags well enough to notice fluctuations in wind strength.
cheers,
Shane
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

g

Post by a.JR »

]
Last edited by a.JR on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

All....

From what I have seen, Jacko's 'sperm' type foam ball and ribbon seem to work OK, these may be what you are all using though :lol:

The fibreglass poles with guy wires seem to be the way to get them 'up there' with most ranges needing a good 20ft + to get near the line of sight.

KY
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I was thinking of getting the Elliot flags for 100/200yd.

For Fly, I am unsure as what design. I have seen the foam ball in action, also the dual vane flags.

I suppose I'll hold out on flags for fly until I see a design I like at a comp.

Cheers
AI
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

AI

the Elliot and Edgley flags are excellent for the short range stuff, and I believe you won't buy anything better. They get hard to see at longer than 200yrds unless you can get them in your sight picture. Using your Seb you should be able to see them anywhere :D

KY