ACT Aussie Day Matches

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

ACT Aussie Day Matches

Post by Kenny »

I am off to Canberra for the Australia Day Benchrest Matches over the long weekend, just wondering if any of you ugly bastards are attending or are close enough to catch up with for a couple of grogs one afternoon :?:

KY
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Kenny,

The bench draw is on the actbenchrest site...did your stuff turn up yet????? I'll have to take a picture and post it of my new paint job....it grows on you after awhile...the fleck I have is no good it turns black in the thinners....will have to go up to shoppingworld and buy some of the stuff you've got.

Steve
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Steven,

Ahhh, I see.....they have stuck me in with some of the 'big boys' in the detail :roll: .....dang that makes it harder :wink:

I see Shanes there and a heap of new names unknown to me.....

I did my stock the same only in blue, will give it the finish coat today :D

Jeez....I thought ya may have not liked yours.......very.....green :lol: it turned out OK i suppose, wish I kept it a bit longer now to get it perfect :roll: :lol:

My stuff...............today I hope :cry:

KY
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

act br matches

Post by dg »

Steven and Ken

Good Luck fellahs.

Hope you have a great weekend.

dg
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G'day All
Thinking of heading to canberra for the day on friday to watch the shooting and meet a few faces, problem is I dont know where to go and dont know what time and also can anyone tell me what event will be shot on friday.
PS I have had a look on the ACT site and had no luck.
Regards
Damien Webb.
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Native,

Friday is Sporter class.

Majura range is right beside the offramp to Queenbeyan from the Federal highway(coming from Sydney).
About 150mtrs onto Majura road is a sharp left turn onto a dirt road I think it's the second gate on your right about 1km up the road. Theres a big SSAA sign on the fence too.

You should be able to see all the cars from the road and hear it all going on.

KY
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Aust Day benchrest

Post by malcolm »

Kenny, Maybe this is just the excuse I need to unscrew my 7mm/08 and screw in my 6mm BR barrels.
I'd better check the ACT website. Is it too late to register?
I don't even know the benchrest rules!!!!
how many rounds will I need?
Malcolm
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Malcolm,

You're 2 weeks late unless you have a sporter barrel. LV & HV are all full.

Steve
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

Events full? Wow, it must be a huge turn out. This benchrest thing must be gaining momentum in Australia. Good luck to those attending.
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Malcolm & Jimbo,

Yep as Steve said LV and HV are full. But there may be cancellations and you could go onto a waiting list.

Benchrest has a fairly small following compared to other events but Canberra is a pretty big deal, great facilities, good access and a 'nice' range...it's as big as the Nationals with around 75 shooters attending :D

The rules are pretty simple - I think they are shown on the SSAA website ¿

Gun weights of 9lb for sporter, 10.5lb for LV and 13.5lb for HV.

Max 3" wide stock forend, unlimited scope power, 5 scoring shots on the 'bussiness' target unlimited sighter shots, 5 targets to a yardage at 100 and 200 yds per class. the yardage group measurements are added together and divided by 5 for 100yds and 10 for 200 yrds for an 'aggregate' score at each yardage. This is added together and divided by 2 for the 'grand agg' easy..see :lol:

Most shooters load between details as a loading room and tables (if your early) are provided, depends on your equipment and set up. I guess if you take 100 rounds for each day you would have plenty.

DG,
thanks for the good wishes, Nashy has decided not to go so.....I can't kick his arse now :twisted: :lol:

KY
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Kenny, Malcolm

Good Luck (not). Will get you to pick up a stock from Peter while you're there. Will ring him to and see if he still has it. Will probably get you to paint it as it will be for the Stolle for HV. Ira has pulled out so if Zorba only has one waiting in HV there should be a spot in LV. Uncle Nick rang last night and told me he was going to put his name on the waiting list but has the renovators working on his house so he changed his mind.

Steve
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

Kenny wrote:Steven,

Ahhh, I see.....they have stuck me in with some of the 'big boys' in the detail :roll: .....dang that makes it harder :wink:

I see Shanes there and a heap of new names unknown to me.....

I did my stock the same only in blue, will give it the finish coat today :D

Jeez....I thought ya may have not liked yours.......very.....green :lol: it turned out OK i suppose, wish I kept it a bit longer now to get it perfect :roll: :lol:

My stuff...............today I hope :cry:

KY
Just curious about your comment. Who are the 'big boys' and why does that make competing harder? In most sports that I have been involved in, it's always good to have 'big boys' there so you can judge how your own ability level is going. If I could play golf against Tiger Woods I would probably...no definitely... see that I have a long way to go.
steven
.222 Remington

Post by steven »

Jimbo,

There are 3 in Kenny's detail that are the 'big boys', Brendan Atkinson, Barry Warwick & Ralph Garlick. He's probably beat all of them at one time but they are all World class shooters. They all have represented Australia at World Benchrest Champs at some time. I don't think he's too worried somehow. He was 6th in the top ten at Canberra last year and 3rd in the Shooter of the Year.

Steven
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Does anyone have Brendan Atkinson's contacts. Do you think he would be interested in coming here for a live chat one night?
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Kenny,

Wont be there gotta work but you give em hell.

kjd,
Brendan can be found on Benchrest Bulletin forums mate ..ask him

cheers

Rinso