.645 of a inch group @600yd

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

.645 of a inch group @600yd

Post by a.JR »

Hi all, There has been a new small benchmark for group at 600yds set in the US ..the guy shot a .645 in group(5 shot) at the recent Peidmont match ,it was not sanctioned by either IBS or NBRSA ,so it won't be a national record ..I don't think that will matter to mister Brady as all the shooters that are keen on 600yd will know thats the low mark to beat..Congrats i say ..JR..Jeff Rogers
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Shot with a 6mmbr A.JR?? I think he shoots the same gun in both L/G and H/G.

0.645" at 600yds is fantastic!

Cheers
AI
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Pop goes the weasel!

Post by a.JR »

Yep ,them Pop guns are gettin a hold alright ..Not only at 600 either ,the new breed of cruser weight 6BRs in the PA discipline are coming out of the wood work this season..Missoula and the little guns go together like beer and prawns ,will be an interseting year.. Prediction 1000yd small 10 shot will go under the present mark and it won't be a pop gun..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps will it be a flat base or a VLD???..............................
Ackley Improved wrote:Shot with a 6mmbr A.JR?? I think he shoots the same gun in both L/G and H/G.

0.645" at 600yds is fantastic!

Cheers
AI
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

The full 10 shots at 1000yds for a pop gun might be to much to ask I agree. 5 shots maybe!!!

Flat Base or VLD... Well it is getting shown that the higher BC flat bases are easily up to the job, from 500m to 1000yds. I think what will break it will be a shooter that is on fire for the day... and it wont matter what bullet type he is shooting or what gun for that matter!!

Imagine if a flat base got the record.... VLD's would become cheap as they would flood the market since everyone in the US using Flat Bases!! Follow that trend!

Whats the heaviest 30cal FB projectile? One of them out of the 300Ackley at warp speed could do the trick!

I'd like to compete in events the same as the Yanks shoot, so at least we have some sort of comparision.

I'd love a Aussie to shoot a world record, then we could stick it to them! You up to the job A.JR??

Cheers
AI
Last edited by Ackley Improved on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

Ackley wrote: I
I'd like to compete in events the same as the Yanks shoot, so at least we have some sort of comparision.

I'd love a Aussie to shoot a world record, then we could stick it to them! You up to the job A.JR??

Cheers
AI
An Aussie did shoot a World record in benchrest for a 300 yard aggregate. The IBS had to recognise it, and they awarded certificates. The SSAA even gave him a silver tray as the first SSAA member to shoot a world benchrest record. That was right back in 1983, and the Yanks then held a series of matches and got the record right back again.
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Cruser Guns!

Post by a.JR »

AI, I don't know so much about the 10 shot thing ..The cruiser guns i mentioned that are gaining popularity are doing so because they can utiliize MR Stillers dropports and the 6BR/6BRimp,at about 25lbs they can fire 10shots real quick with no disruption to the point of aim ..Coupled to this the new generation of load tree's i reckon they could peel a full 10 seconds off a ten shot string time compared with me or the best of the cross port actions users when trying to shoot a 2.85in long case ..Plus there seems to be something special about the 105/7s at 2950 as proved by terry brady.. The heaviest of the FB 30s is the original 198gn BIB 8 ogive bullet that started things off .. The 187 is the only other i know of.. I have spoke to Bill Shehane of my holy grail of trying to get a 6 Match group agg of less than 6 ins,he said "his" quest is to lower the 3.151 in 10 shot group record.. In his opinion the reason we can't do it with a big cartridge is that the barrel is still in a vibration mode when the following shot is fired .. He is working with anti resonate bedding at the barrel block to barrel and the block to stock junction.. I know that the resonate movement has a lot to do with the groups we shoot ,this is the reason for my persistance with the "Tensioned Barrel" gun.... But i don't think the planets would ever become aligned well enough at my home range to shoot a 3.00 in group..In 6 years i have never seen a compettion day with a condition that will last long enough for the whole 10..I have shot Majura, it has come good for the 5 shot boys a number of times but mostly crap,the possibility of me gettin on a plane to find a good day are slim..I will shoot Belmont 1000yd in MAY, tell ya after that match if it's possibile there..If you use the 1st match results ,i don't think so .the H/G day agg was won at about 17ins ,my home range day agg is 6.66ins ..JR..Jeff rogers............................
Ackley Improved wrote:The full 10 shots at 1000yds for a pop gun might be to much to ask I agree. 5 shots maybe!!!

Flat Base or VLD... Well it is getting shown that the higher BC flat bases are easily up to the job, from 500m to 1000yds. I think what will break it will be a shooter that is on fire for the day... and it wont matter what bullet type he is shooting or what gub for that matter!!

Imagine if a flat base got the record.... VLD's would become cheap as they would flood the market since everyone in the US using Flat Bases!! Follow that trend!

Whats the heaviest 30cal FB projectile? One of them out of the 300Ackley at warp speed could do the trick!

Cheers
AI
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Ah huh... 25lbs 6mmBR or Dasher.. Now that sounds interesting, The recoil is so very little with 17lbs... 25 or even 30lbs would result in absolutely bugger all movement.. You could machinegun them off as quick as you could feed them in... Maybe the next project!!

Maybe the 6X47L as a cruiser?? Get those 107 upto 3200 odd!!

Cheers
AI
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Carl Gustav of Sweden had an anti-tank gun where the resonation of the venturi was so severe that it affected the middle ear of those that fired it. The cure was a simple 10 cent rubber band placed at the very tail of the venturi. Over the years there have been many de-resonators tried like a simple disk placed at points along barrels in an attempt to get the resonation to stop quicker. Really the use of a thick neoprene ring placed at a point of maximum amplitude, or rather midway of the dead nodes as found by ringing barrels ala the Calfee method of using brass curtain rings, is probably all that is required. This problem only relates to the longer barrels, and those like used in SR BR are usually devoid of this problem with their sub 24 inch barrels.
Of course the best de-resonator is the tube gun.

AI, it would appear that my initial reservation of the ability of the small rifle primer to to work in a case with a capacity beyond 35 grains of something considerably slower than say VV133 or 2208, might be the Achilles heel of the 47 case from Lapua. Many are not finding the accuracy that is easily achieved in the likes of the 6 BR and others and are almost universally using the CCI 450 to get some sort of sense. I see that David Tubb has taken note of this shortfall by releasing his new harder version of the XC cases, extoling the virtues of the large rifle primer in his design. I don't think that these will be either easy or cheap to get into Aus. But then again, there is the option of what many have done for years when making cases for the 6 mm/44/45/47 or 30/44/45/47, and that is to use either the good old 308 or 243 Lapua Brass. The more i hear and see, the better the cartridge of Henry Childs in the US gets. A 243 Lapua case with a 30 degree shoulder like the BR, but with a neck length of over 500 thou. A reduced capacity that makes it more suited to H4350. Great speed and ES and a long barrel life mainly due to that neck length. And of course, the 210M LR primer. JR did get a lot of info about this little number for a long time, but it appears that Henry is real pissed at something or some-one as he has all but disappeared from the yank forums.

Tony Z.