.17 Ackley Hornet

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
17REM
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17REM

.17 Ackley Hornet

Post by 17REM »

Well after being out of shooting for a few years due to health and having sold the .17 Hornet I came across a >17??? in a junk pile! It is a very rough Martini Cadet with a Monte Carlo stock and an ancient Weatherby variable scope made in Germany, but the bore is immaculate.
So seeing as a .17 Hornet would not chamber I guessed it is a .17 Ackley Hornet and did a chamber cast.
Barry has helped out with the dies and now to get it tidied up and get an 8x56 on it for my old eyes.
Will let you know if it works or not in the next few weeks.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: .17 Ackley Hornet

Post by MISSED »

I look forward too some pics and your opinion on the 17 Ackley
Mudgegonga
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17-223 Mudgegonga

Post by Mudgegonga »

My first wild cat. A cheap Brno ZKW 468 22 K Hornet was the donor. MAB did the barrel work. I got it sighted in and Dad was up for trying out on foxes spotlighting. He drove the old ute. Me in the back holding the 100 watt Watco in my left hand, shooting with the rifle resting on my forearm. We got 5 in an hour all head shots. All shot between 150 metres and 200 metres. I couldn't believe how easy it was to shoot. Dad thought it was a dud because the Brno didn't like feeding from the magazine. It is a great single shot cartridge.
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Another fan of the little 17 AH here on this keyboard.
Mines based on the CZ527 & has recently taken a liking to the 14.5 projectiles BUT yet to be tried out on foxes so far.
It must be about time we heard more from 17 Rem & how his has developed.