Rem VSSF

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Rem VSSF

Post by chris thomas »

Who has seen the new Guns and Game Mag with the Remmington VSSF. My VSSF has a HS stock have they changed them to the Basic Varmint stock.

Shocking groups for a $2600 rifle. The guy testing the rifle thinks it's great that it plonked 10 shots in to one inch group,Well so it bloody should Remmington retail it at $2600. Why is every one happy with one inch groups we should expect better and be getting better. Factory rifle's 20 years ago shot MOA surley things have improved.

Same with the FX Moonsoon Air rifle it's a $2400 rifle and they feed it cheap light pellets. What a waste of a test a proper pellet 16-21 grain in that rifle should group 12mm at 50m. Why bother showing us one inch groups at 10m.

It's a Joke. I bet the store/importer is not happy but having said that why wouldn't they provide pellets that suit the rifle

Regards

Chris
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Re: Rem VSSF

Post by native hunter »

Well said Chris.
Dont get us started on AR reviews. :x :x
Regards
Native
JBS2

Post by JBS2 »

i price one about 6weeks ago and it was $2300.and i thought at the time if i had $2300 id add a couple of extra bucks and get a sako.nice rifle all the same
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I agree, Rem have dropped the ball big time there. The last VSSF which I know a few blokes on here have (and very happily) were fitted with the HS stock bedded and floated. There is really no difference with this new one to the SPS Varmint and they want another $1,300??!!! GAGF Remington. :x :x
fox shooter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 270win

Post by fox shooter »

I agree i have a sps varmint the stocks are shit worth $50 i cant see how they charge that price for the new vssf if you have a look a lot of their new rifles are fitted with those stocks (big mistake)
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I am just re-reading the review on the new VSSF. Are they farking kiidding?? The groups aren't too bad, the stock is crap, the barrel not floated, no pillars or bedding block in the stock for the action, binding issues tearing into brass, extractor issues.....the list of faults goes on. The price listed is $2,695.00

The Sako 85 VLS beats the living daylights out of this rifle and it's $2,400.00 Floated, bedded silky action etc.

Remington have lost the plot to the greatest degree.

I seriously doubt if they will sell a single one of them.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Stalker wrote: I seriously doubt if they will sell a single one of them.
They'll sell heaps,
You under-estimate the slimeyness of some (Definitely not all) gunshop sales people and the lack of knowledge a lot of shooters have.

Most shooters go shooting once or twice a year and the VSSF would be like driving a BMW compared to their old sporterised SMLE they bought 10 years ago for $250.

The people here are mostly heavily into shooting they live it they breathe it. Most shooters don't and most of them that have some money will buy something like this. I'd hazzard a guess that there wont be that much in a drop in sales.

Give me a Ruger VT or T3 Varmint anyday.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

My next will be the Sako 85.

You would have to be retarded to not know you could buy the current VSSF with all the good bits for less than the new heap of shit. If people can't tell the difference or don't want to know...Good luck to them.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

Shore as hell wouldn't say no to one though.

Drew Jaeger has the older HS stock isn't it?
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

I gave up on remington 10+ years ago because they had dropped the ball so badly in terms of quality

and your telling me its only got worse :oops:
thats sad news

P
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

dangaff wrote:Shore as hell wouldn't say no to one though.

Drew Jaeger has the older HS stock isn't it?

Yeah mate. Drews is the schizzle.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Its pretty sad really, I mean a factory rifle that shoots 10 under an inch straight out of the box is fine but the rifle its self has gone backwards. Glad I got me an original VSSF :D :D :D
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Glad the new issue is out, the hot buy for me every 3 months.
No way would I pay that for a Rem. I would get the Sako 85 VLS, no questions asked.

Dave
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

chris thomas,
Why don't you email them regarding the review? If there reviews drop into the 'pleasing the supplier' category then they will drop from being a premier magazine to just another expensive quarterly catalogue.

Regarding the stocks ... I'm still waiting for someone to show me a significant difference between an SPS stock and XCR other than rubber side grip inserts.

As for Remington ... Savage wrestled the 'accuracy' title off them many years ago ... but people complain about the lock nut, trigger and flexy stocks. Well the smooth nut, AccTrigger and AccuStock have addressed those issues.

Like Ogre6br ... I gave up on new Remingtons a long time ago.

On the plus side ... it outshot the Sako also tested.
Cheers...
Con
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Con wrote:chris thomas,
Why don't you email them regarding the review? If there reviews drop into the 'pleasing the supplier' category then they will drop from being a premier magazine to just another expensive quarterly catalogue.

On the plus side ... it outshot the Sako also tested.
I doubt the magazine would give a shit, because their advertising revenue will be worth more than one miffed customer. That's why I gave up on the shooting (and 4WD and pretty much everything else) press a long time ago. Far too much sucking up to the advertisers and no real honesty to the reviews...either that, or reviewers have very different standards to me.

I have one of the old VSSF HS stocks on my 300WSM Shane built me, and it's gorgeous...and the only thing that really justified the price tag of the VSSF and old Police models...the rubber stocks are pieces of shit if they're similar to the LVSF ones.

I'd never buy a new Rem, and the only one I have was bought as the basis for a custom - and they are great for that - but to price it alongside a Sako, I don't think so. Both my Sakos are in a quality league above any unworked Remington.

I'm fascinated that this one outshot a Sako though - just a fluke based on either the Remington having a great barrel, the Sako being a rare example of one that doesn't shoot out of the box, or a result of the ammo choice I guess.....