My new Rifle

Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

My new Rifle

Post by Ackley Improved »

Well here it is. Steyr LG110 HP in 22cal.

The last week has been one of the worst weeks I have ever had. Breaking up with my girlfriend of 8 years was a massive eye openner to me. This rifle has been sitting to be collected for a number of days, but really didnt care about it. I was thinking of just selling it unfired, but after picking it up I think it may stay.

It is a nice air rifle. Not fired yet, waiting on scuba tank and got to work out how the hell I fill it from the Scuba tank to the rifles tank. No idea! Has some adpater thing there.

What I have noticed is the trigger. Not fired but I can tell it is class.

Scope is a Sightron 3.5-10X44 SIII mildot in milradian, but I have a Bushnell 6500 tactical 2.5-16X42 with mildot in the mail right now. I will make the decision on the scope once I have both in hand.

So in a bleak week, this has been a nice surpise!

Cheers
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: My new Rifle

Post by kjd »

Sorry to hear about your bad week mate? Sucks!
What doesn't suck is how good that rifle looks!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Sweet rig mate. Sorry to hear about the other dramas.
palla
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22WMR

Post by palla »

Nice work with the new rifle, too bad you dont want to sell it unfired as I would snap that baby up in a heart beat ;) awesome rig, it will serve you well, enjoy it.

Breakups are hard but now you are open to find someone that is right for you.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"Day Ackley,
The rifle tube screws out and it will screw onto the brass connector you should have received with it.
With the brass connector screwed into the scuba tank, its a matter of just screwing the steyr tank to the adaptor and slightly opening the scuba tank valve and watch the gauge on the steyr cylinder fill SLOWLY.!!
The trigger on them is second to none Ive ever felt.
Sorry to hear about the split,go and enjoy that rifle and put a smile on ya dial.!!
Regards
Native
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Looks good AI. I look forward to a range and field report.
Sorry to hear about the relationship woes.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Sorry to hear about the hard week AI, looks like you have the medicine to keep your chin up.

Will look forward to some targets have always like the styer hunter

Ryan
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Hi AI,

I've seen a couple of the Steyers shoot air rifle silhouette (in .177), and they do it really well. They were using the JSB exact heavy. I also found out they didn't like the JSB Monsters. Don't know how much help this is (being .177), but maybe it gives a rough direction for pellets.

Sorry about the rest of your tale, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the Steyer. There's a fair chance that in a few years time the ex-girlfriend will be a fond but distant memory, while the Steyer will still be putting a big grin on your face.........

But for now, beg, borrow or steal a dive bottle, charge the Steyer up and go out and shoot. If you think it feels good now, wait until you actually fire it.

All the best,

regards, curan
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Thanks for the support guys. Much appreciated.

Scuba tank arrived today, better than expected. So that is a bonus.

Steyr filling adapter screws straight onto the Pro valve. Need to get to the dive shop and have them fill the bottle now.

Tell me about having a bleed valve? Do I need one? Thinking it would be good to release the pressure before removing the rifle tank so not to damage the seal.

Also, on these seals and the rifle in general, what sort of maintainence is required?

Cheers
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"day Ackley,
The rifle cylinder has a cut off valve incorporated and its designed that way so no need to bleed.
Just be careful filling it if its a 300bar scuba tank if its a 200-240 bar its not as critical but care is still needed to get a good slow fill, the slower the better.
You should have a handbook that came with the rifle on maintainence.
Get out and shoot it, I bet the noise suprises you.
Regards
Native
Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Post by Yrrah »

Ackley Improved wrote:Well here it is. Steyr LG110 HP in 22cal.

The last week has been one of the worst weeks I have ever had. Breaking up with my girlfriend of 8 years was a massive eye openner to me.
Cheers
You didn't ask so just disregard if irrelevant:

8 years is a long time to be a girl"friend". Time marches on and most girls (not all) want the security of real commitment in a relationship and that comes with marriage. If you love the lady, maybe show commitment, test the water with an offer to marry and mean it. If she was just another "long term relationship" then get that lovely rifle fired up and move on ............. JSB 18.1 gr and 15.9 gr pellets first up picks.
Best regards, Harry.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Yrrah... thanks mate for the advice, but it isnt what it seems. We have just grown apart with different interests and futures. For it to work one of us has to give up a dream, which is not fair. There is no hard feelings, but a bright future for us both. It still sucks, and oh, she dont like the idea of marriage at all!!!

Back to the air rifle. Raining ehre so I might take a few pictures of the Steyr. I have chaged the scope over to the Bushnell. It is much better suited to air rifle use than the Sightron pictured above.

It is the Bushnell 2.5-16X42 tactical. Will focus at 10yds on 16X, and on 16X the focus is critical for range. I could nearly say you could use it for range finding if the numbers on the parallex are correctly calibrated. Mildot reticle and fine enough for precise shots. I think a nice air rifle scope!

My scuba tank is full, so tomorrow is the special day for fun times!

I need to order some more pellets, already have 700 odd 16grain JSB'd, might grab some more of them if shoot good tomorrow, plus grab a couple tins of the 18.1's t try!

I bought an extra extended tank too, so fill both up and should have around 80 consistant shots between them.

Cheers
Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Post by Yrrah »

Well that sounds like all will be fine :) Best to you both!

I have a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16X side focus also a 4-16 Elite and both are great scopes. You have done the homework and now you can enjoy the rig. ... Best regards, Harry.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Shot the Steyr today. It is everything they say they are. I am impressed to say the least.

Sighting in was at 50m. First shot high as hell, wound to hole and then shot this 5 shot group. Was aiming at corner of square. Pity for that one shot, wind was present. After these 5 shots shot another 2 to confirm a dead on zero at 50m.

Then out chasing a few rabbits. 4 in total. Distances ranged from 35m to 60m. One of the 4 had enough puff left in him to go under a prickly shrub but he was gone for all money. Couldnt reach him without the bush man handling me. The others got a photo. Off phone so not great.

This thing hits hard, and s accurate to boot. I am now pretty glad with the purchase.

Cheers
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

My new Rifle

Post by kjd »

Great stuff mate. PCP's are very fun. Bit more stuffing around than a 22lr but allows you to hunt in more places! I think my last pcp and this Benjamin Marauder I'm testing is as accurate as any 22lr I've shot.