OK school me about big bore airguns.

Tony Z
.270 Winchester

OK school me about big bore airguns.

Post by Tony Z »

Specifically 30 thru 50 cal air guns shooting 150 grain and upward cast slugs. How many shots per fill, regulated at the reservoir or internal? Why still poppet valve pcps or are there spool or electric solenoid types around? Looking at the Airforce 45 cal for ideas on a future build. Probably will be a 30 cal and 180 grain cast slugs.
Cheers TZ.
Sniggy
Favourite Cartridge: 177 Pellet

Re: OK school me about big bore airguns.

Post by Sniggy »

Here is a good site to start the get the grey matter going

http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/

Steve 8)
mattw975
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by mattw975 »

Get some good ear defenders is my advice :)
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

.... also get a large air cylinder or build lots of muscle to use a pump. Given their generally low shot counts, you'll spend more time filling than shooting.

With the noise and setup cost, you'd be better off using a 223 with factory loads. SCUBA cylinda ~$400, adaptor ~$180, or pump ~$450, effective range 120m, etc. Versus $550 for my Weatherby S2 and $20/box of OSA (even fheaper for my can of 900) Gameking with my comfy range out to 300-350m.

The only electronic systems I'm aware of is with Daystate and Evanix. Don't know why it's not more common. Paintball guns have been electronic for decades. Probably because a lot of shooters are trafitionalist.

I also believe that it is not "legal" to shoot game with AR in this country but other who are into game hunting will have a better idea.