Thermion.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Thermion.

Post by Tony Z »

Bit of an update. I have sold the XM38 but still have the XQ38 on the 6x45. Have recently purchased an Iray R50R for my 7/08. This changes the dynamic considerably as prior to this the objective was to get the flattest shooting cartridge to counter the difficulty of range estimation using thermal. Like my Conotech the Iray has a ballistic solution combined into the LRF so the guess work is taken out.

The Thermion XM and XQ have worked flawlessly with no impact shift or failures of any kind where both got used a lot. Battery life has never been an issue. The one bug bear is the NUC. In auto it recalibrates quite often when fired up which is the norm when using a thermal monocular to save power on the rifle scope. Now semi auto and manual. Somewhere in the software there is a flaw where if you choose either of those modes there is a serious issue with image refinement. So if you are in auto and the image is as good as you can set it, you then go to the menu, change to either semi or manual, the image quality diminishes considerably. While still very usable it is not the best image one gets on auto and a bit of contrast and brightness tweeking. So why is this a problem for me? Put simply i want the best image possible but in the auto setting the unit NUCs when you least want it to and it has lost me a number of animals. Sure you can watch the timer for the next calibration but running deer, pigs and dogs don't wait for you. Some years ago this wouldn't be an issue but the competition is such that there are other options now. Now I don't know if later model Thermions have dealt with this, but it is time for me to upgrade.
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Re: Thermion.

Post by dashooter »

crackers17 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:37 pm So I sold my thermion
To.get a iray Rh50
So far I'm very happy with it soo clear ..
Yea like everything tech got good and bad but I feel I and just get I out of the safe and good shoot foxes
Il.try and get some pictures up soon
Hey Crackers,

Did you get the v2 RH50R or the original?
I was looking at one of them before I bought the ThermTec Vidar 650L.
Going from the TH50 I knew the RH50 would have been great for image quality as they are the same sensor and display but the limit of 3 profiles was a drawback so the ThermTec won out.
Now I’ve since found out the v2 RH50R has six profiles so I’m picking one up tomorrow and the ThermTec is for sale..

Ps. Didn’t realise how old this post was. Lol