Scope for .243 - advise needed

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Scope for .243 - advise needed

Post by V|PeR »

OK guys I thought I had a scope choice sorted for the Tikka .243 I an looking at getting but after reading every thread possible on scopes I think I have become more confused so seeking some input.

The rifle will be used 60% for spotlighting duties out to reasonable range and 40% for longer range varmint destruction in early morning/late afternoon.

Have narrowed it down to 4 choices (it was 3 when i started writing this) that are within my allowance from the wife

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50 Multi-X

PROS
50mm objective size would be better for spotlighting
power would be suitable for what I am using it for.

CONS
Dont know if warranty is as good as Vortex or Clearidge

Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40, Duplex or Mil Dot

PROS
good light transmission (per specs)
power range is good
lifetime transferable warranty

CONS
objective size smaller than bushnell

Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 Dead Hold BDC

PROS
warranty
purchase locally within budget
good objective size

CONS
power range not as good as others

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 Dead Hold BDC

PROS
warranty and local purchase
good power range

CONS
objective size

sorry for the long post but hopefully someone can help me decide :D
tikkat3

Post by tikkat3 »

I have fitted the Bushnell you mentioned to my Tikka T3 .243 and have had no problems with it and the optics are crystal clear.

I would not hesitate buying another bushnell.

Cheers,

TikkaT3
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

I would go the 4-12x40 Vortex myself. Don't need (or want) much more than about x8 for spotlighting, the 40mm objective means the scope can be mounted much lower which is better for quick shots. Personally, I would much prefer a scope without an adjustable objective for hunting, and especially spotlighting.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

mate i have a bushbell 3200 and a vortex viper. they are in different classes in terms of the optics quality. Go the vortex. If I could spend my money again I would have two vipers rather than one of each.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

I agree with HiWall the 4-12 is a better choice with a 243 for the use you describe. The 40mm objective does not give much away to the 50mm and a lower mounting is far better for general use.

If you cant see it in the spotlight at 8x or in daylight at 12x then you should not be taking the shot.

Another bonus with the Voretx is that if you call Antony and tell him you are an AusVarmit member he will usually give you a better deal.

cheers
Rinso
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

cheers for the input guys

is the Vortex Diamondback still a good scope as my budget cant stretch to the viper unfortunetly
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Will do all you could ask of it mate.

cheers
Rinso
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

I've got a Loopy VX1 4 -12 x 40 on my Tikka 595 in .243 cal, and find it to be a good optical range for the calibre. I reckon they (Leupold) still offer pretty good value as a scope too.

CB
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

well at this stage i think i have decided on the Vortex Viper in 4-12*40 as it seems like a good scope for a very good price and if anything does go wrong they have the lifetime warranty.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Very good choice .. now just ring Antony and your set.

cheers
Rinso
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I had that exact same bushnell on a tikka 243. Its an excellent scope but very big, it overbalanced the rifle IMHO.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

just to throw another scope into the mix. I have a sightron SII 4-16x42 on my .223 and it is a great scope for the money. well priced and seems to get pretty favourable reviews.
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

Yep have to agree with trev. I also have a bushnell 3200 5-15x50 fitted to my rem VLS the scope suits the gun though as they are both phisically big. If you are looking at a walkaround hunting rifle try not to get anything longer than around 13.5inches in a scope whilst objective diameter should be kept to 44mm or less. If you are considering buying through The OpticZone have a look at the Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch Range. I had a look through a couple of these at the hunting Expo on the weekend and the optical clarity and eye relief were as good if not better than the leupold VX11 range IMHO. Price through the Australian agents was horrendous though. :cry: Check out The Optic Zone.

Jethro again :wink:
GIJ
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by GIJ »

I might be a bit late but I've got an Optic Zone leupy 4-12x40 on my tikka lite 243. Just right I'd say, good for spotlighting and long shots in the field and not to big and bulky.

But leupold and their distributer can shove it up their arse, go the Vortex.
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

I have a bushnell 4200 on my 25-06 that i purchased just before the rifle, will buy another in a heart beat, though am going to have another look at the Vortex at penrith this weekend if i can get someone to talk to me about em there.

Paz