Field rifle rimfire scope options?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Field rifle rimfire scope options?

Post by V|PeR »

Shot field rifle for the first time last night (first time i have shot a proper comp at any range) using my Brno Md 2 with a 3-9 scope on it and shooting Powerpoints.

when shooting standing post and sitting at 50m i struggled to get enough magnification. Does anyone have any suggestions of a suitable scope to use? Not looking to spend big dollars (as the rifle only cost me $375 and will need to get new mounts to ensure the scope clears the rear Brno sight) but looking for a scope that will allow me to see the target better and maybe score a bit better

From talking to the people at the range i need to get rid of the powerpoints for target ammo so does anyone have any suggestions on what is an inexpensive target ammo for the .22?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: Field rifle rimfire scope options?

Post by chris.tyne »

Viper,

Mate try some SK magazine for the ammo side of things,I have found that some of the cheaper low velocity ammo will easily out shoot the high velocity stuff,just depends on what your rifle likes, and as for a scope.....................
.......well I dunno,I use have used the variable Leupolds set at 18x power and now use Weaver Grandslams in the variable with 6x at the bottom and 20x at the top end and they are great.......................................problem is the $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Now I find that I am a dial spinner so the scope has to have perfect tracking capability's and this is where the trouble starts unless you are capable of holding over or under at the various distances the repeatability of the adjustments will let you down severely on the cheaper scopes..
I would be prepared to give up some optical clarity for precise tracking any day...............
sorry couldn't be more helpful but keep looking and don't turn away from the second hand market as there are good deals to be had from time to time...................and if you invest in a good scope you can buy and sell rifles but keep transferring the scope from one to the other.

Regards Chris.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

yeah $$$$ is the big issue

i know the theory buy once cry once but given i have just started out not sure how much i really want to spent on a scope for a rifle that didnt cost me too much

question is that for field rifle is it worth going the extra $$ on scopes
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

question is that for field rifle is it worth going the extra $$ on scopes
If you can't see it, you can't hit it!!

.22RF comp rifle would be good with either 4.5-14 or 6-18 scope - make sure the AO will adjust down to the closest range to be fired.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Mate with the rear site you can take the actual site out of its holder ( sorry prob not the best wording) so the sope can sit quite low. Think its a matter of pushing it down and back will have to check. Can't really help on the scope side of things but my brno mod 2 will put winchester sub sonics into a raggd hole at 50m using my 4x nikon.

I haven't tried the SK, Lapua or Elley in her as this stuff in her yet as the winnies are good enough as she has been a bunny rifle most of her life.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

for the money, try a 6-24 x56AG model nikko nighteater. Winds down to very close and optics are good. Rated for air rifle use so internals must be strong and the 22BRX hasnt bothered mine at all.

Ammo wise, i like the winchester subs too, but the price they are now, you might as well spend the extra bit and use eley or SK. Its still a hell of alot cheaper than shooting centerfire rifle ammo.
Vortex AU

Post by Vortex AU »

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire

Trevort has one in his hands so he can comment better than me on his thoughts optically. AO scope from 10 to Infinity.

Lifetime warranty for a scope that will cost you less than the gun 8)
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

V|PeR wrote:Shot field rifle for the first time last night (first time i have shot a proper comp at any range) using my Brno Md 2 with a 3-9 scope on it and shooting Powerpoints.

when shooting standing post and sitting at 50m i struggled to get enough magnification.

It seems everyone is magnification mad. I've shot it a few times with a 6x and never had any trouble seeing the target.
If you intend to use the rifle for hunting stick with what is on it.

Try a few brands of target ammo but you might find that the powerpoints shoot as well as any of the similar priced target stuff. I'm yet to find any cheaper brands that will better the powerpoints in my 22.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

It seems everyone is magnification mad. I've shot it a few times with a 6x and never had any trouble seeing the target.
Thank you 220, I have used a 4x40 weaver for 10 years and have put a 3-9 x 40 Bushnell on my .22 for the last ten years. You did say 'Field rifle" where you really don't need that much high end magnification for a field rifle match, I agree with 220 and reckon that your 3-9 would be a good hunting size too. :wink:
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

220 wrote:
V|PeR wrote:Shot field rifle for the first time last night (first time i have shot a proper comp at any range) using my Brno Md 2 with a 3-9 scope on it and shooting Powerpoints.

when shooting standing post and sitting at 50m i struggled to get enough magnification.

Try a few brands of target ammo but you might find that the powerpoints shoot as well as any of the similar priced target stuff. I'm yet to find any cheaper brands that will better the powerpoints in my 22.
i can see the target OK but just not in the detail i would like when we do our night shoots
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Viper may not be magnification you need.Try looking through another scope clarity is maybe what your missing
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I have an old Lyman all-American in 20 X on my Annie, its certainly enough for small bore.

A bloke in our club has a Nikko variable and shoots with this on full power (50X) at 50 meters.
Last week he bumped his rifle, lost his target and conveniently placed two perfect scoring shots onto the target next to his.

The confusion was enough to play with his head and he dropped four to walk away with 196.

On a bad day with mirage his scope is like looking through the bottom of a schooner glass, as for winding back the magnification, this can affect your point of impact due to the absorption of light in the objective.

Seriously, If I were using the rifle for hunting, silhouette or a 3P discipline then I would opt for a good 6 power. Too much scope is not good.

I guess it also depends on how good your eyes are.

As for ammunition it depends on how competitive you want to be. If you want to improve your technique then you need eliminate elements. Bad ammunition is the starting point.

I use nothing less then RWS 50 and for no other reason then being able eliminate the causes of error and know when it was myself, the rifle (by means of fouling) the weather or a bad batch of ammunition.

If cost is a factor I would be trying to source the budget line RWS 'target rifle' or mid range 'special match' and then batching it by rim thickness with an RCBS case master.

I was using SK match on a regular basis, however found it to be too inconsistent and found that I came to a point where I was not able to improve.

It will also depend on what your rifle prefers and every barrel is different, pending the rate in which it was cooled in the smelter and later tempered in the factory. You will also find that the differing grades of lead in ammunition will be the cause for inconsistencies and error.

I've seen Annies place five through the one hole with Tennex and others that only perform with Tennex ultimate. My Annie will shoot ragged holes with Tennex and shoot no better then one of those old rifles from sideshow alley with Tennex ultimate which of course is the Olympic grade ammunition.

You will need purchase at least half a dozen reputable brands and trial them through the rifle allowing at least ten as foulers before gauging.

Hope this helps.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Mueller APV
Review here: http://www.nzrimfire.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

well i accidently shot the rapid and standing unsupported on 3x last night......head wasnt in the game and scores showed that big time

it is a hard thing to decide on magnification.....there are a lot of guys shooting 8-32x at my club and swear by them
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Vortex AU wrote:Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire

Trevort has one in his hands so he can comment better than me on his thoughts optically. AO scope from 10 to Infinity.

Lifetime warranty for a scope that will cost you less than the gun 8)
Looks like a good deal to me and gives you a wide range of magnification choices at a good price with lifetime warranty. I had a look through the one trevort was testing at Canberra in March and it seemed good for 22 comp to me at the time. Get a set of Sprts Match mounts for it and your done.

cheers
Rinso