Field rifle rimfire scope options?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Re: Field rifle rimfire scope options?

Post by V|PeR »

so 8-32 would be overkill?
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

mate it all depends on how steady you can hold the rifle. as magnification increases so does the perception of how much wobble you have. be carefull in scope selection though as not all scopes will focus well or on all powers at 25m. a good air rifle scope will focus that close and can be found with upwards of 20 power. i have seen masters scores shot with a fixed 40 power and with a 9 power and a spotting scope so i do not think it matters to much if you are comfortable with what you are using.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

looking at vortex crossfire which has parallex setting/adjustable objective of 10 to infintiy so that should be OK.

I shot rapid on 9 power now (3-9x) so having an 8-32x should be OK but can see what you mean regarding too much power and getting a scope quickly on target which it looking like i am wobbling all over the place
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Hi ViPeR,

Stinkitup wrote:
my brno mod 2 will put winchester sub sonics into a raggd hole at 50m
I shot Field Rifle at my local club last week, and watched a mate shoot a 50.2 score on a card during sitting post with subsonics, using his Bruno Mk2. Until or unless you are averaging 90-95 for each position, I would suggest the subsonics are worth a try.

As far as scopes go, I have a Nighteater 6-24x50 that I use on a Savage BV Mk2. I find that 6x or 8x is about right for rapid fire. It lets you find the target quicker. I do not adjust anything from sighting in at 50m, but aim at the base of the 10 ring. I aim off for windage, and find the 25m isn't as wind affected anyway. For the 25m offhand, I will wind it up to 10x.

For standing and sitting post I wind it up to 12x and on some days to 16x. If I have a bit of wobble going on on the day, I wind the power back down a bit. It reduces the percieved wobble, and helps to get 'em back in near the 10 ring :wink: I also find that it very useful ploy for offhand wobbles.

If I remember, Vortex had a 4 -12 x 40 for $170 in their end of year sale. If the optics are as clear as I've heard, you should be able to see your fall of shot at 50 through that. IMHO, I reckon that is a pretty good starting point if restrained by budget.

regards, curan
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

I've got a Weaver Grandslam 6-20x40 on my .22RF target rifle - I simply couldn't bring myself to pay Leupold EFR money for what is essentially a 25/50m daylight gun! Mind you, I did buy it when the A$ was a lot closer to the US one than it is now....
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

going to take a look through one of the guys 8-32x at the range next week and see if i think i can shoot rapid on 8x

otherwise the 6-24x it is
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

I've got a Weaver Grandslam 6-20x40 on my .22RF target rifle - I simply couldn't bring myself to pay Leupold EFR money for what is essentially a 25/50m daylight gun! Mind you, I did buy it when the A$ was a lot closer to the US one than it is now....
I'm hearing you Jeff, I brought two of them, one for my target .22 and one for my target CF. I ordered both with the target dot, fine cross hair. :wink:
juzz338
.17 HMR

Post by juzz338 »

wobble is not necesarily a bad thing if you know how to use it, personally i just point the thing at the target and pull the trigger when it looks good but most of the shooters i shoot with either come down with their breathing and shoot whilst the rifle is moving or as it stops at the bottom of their breath or some try to make an infinity or side ways figure 8 and then you have 2 choices as to when to fire as the cross hairs cross the target. both methods require you to shoot whilst the rifle is moving though. if you are worried about target aquisition set yourself up first with your eyes closed and when you open them if you are not looking at your target move your feet not your shoulders or body until you are in line then push your hips forwards or backwards until you have the rite height do it again until when you open your eyes you are on target. this is your natural and most comfortable stance and now when you pull the rifle up not only should you be straight on target but it should be steadier to hold. sorry if you have been told all of this before, hopefully someone gets something out of it.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

+1 for what Juzz338 says. All stuff the same as I've been told, and all good advice.

I don't know if I would go for a 8-32x for field rifle.....seems way over the top when 16x is more than enough for everything else I shoot at 50m (3p, etc), and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Weight can be an issue in hunter class, as well, and the bigger the mag, generally speaking, the heavier the scope (for a specific make).

IMHO, the 6-24x should be fine, especially if you wanted to shoot a little BR for ammo selection, etc.

Still, everyone's different!

regards, curan.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

yeah the weight difference between the two is marginal......i really just dont want to get a 6-24x and find that i wished i had more magnification.

will have a look through a few scopes at the next shoot and see what i think

thanks for all the help guys and keep the good advice coming
juzz338
.17 HMR

Post by juzz338 »

Viper, have you done anything to your brno trigger? Most beginners starting in feild rifle that i know have picked up 20-30 points within 2-3 weeks of adjusting their standard trigger weight. How did you go with your scope anyway?
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

The 6-24(?) x 40 Jap Tasco World Class with a fine reticle or target dot was popular with the top shooters when I was active in Field Rifle and 3P. There's more choice now, something along those lines will suit. Use the high end for the post rest/prone and back it off for the rapid fire/offhand targets.
Too much magnification just amplifies the wobbles and wears you out, as you get better at it you'll be able to use more magnification.
You need a decent quality scope that's bright and clear, has parallax adjustment (AO)down to 25m or better and the mechanicals reliable so you get repeatable adjustments, and the POI doesn't shift when you change the power. And not so big + heavy that it unbalances your rifle..unless you are getting serious and using a custom stock, going up to the 4kg weight limit etc.
It's easy to line up on the wrong target, as already mentioned, with higher magnification - frustrating when you put a good shot on to the target next door !
You could also do well with a good quality 6x with AO, if you want to keep it practical for field use
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

juzz338 wrote:Viper, have you done anything to your brno trigger? Most beginners starting in feild rifle that i know have picked up 20-30 points within 2-3 weeks of adjusting their standard trigger weight. How did you go with your scope anyway?
still no scope....need to follow up with the Vortex guys about pricing

trigger is currently pretty light.....manage to get a 325 the other night with my 3-9x40