Good front rest

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
wadcutter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .338Win Mag

Good front rest

Post by wadcutter »

I am after a good quality front rest for under $500.
Any ideas?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Good front rest

Post by Brad Y »

I just picked up a caldwell rock BR for $385. Happy with it so far, the top of it isnt as good as others but its fine for what I need.
wadcutter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .338Win Mag

Post by wadcutter »

Brad,
I have seen them for sale in the Shooters Mag. Wondered how good they were. What sort of support does it give to the forend? Is it variable enough for both thick varmint stocks and thiner sporter stocks?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

You will have to get different bags for different stocks. Put it this way, if you were a serious BR shooter then you would upgrade on it, but then again if your just a casual hackabout like me you will be happy with it. I wont be upgrading.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Wadcutter,

I use the Rock, it is absolutely fine to use from the bench and I have heard that they are quiet popular amongst F Class shooters.

I am upgrading to the Rock BR, these are the grouse. I have one coming for Christmas.

Leanne and her father also use this model. With this model you can adjust the rest to take rifles with wider or narrower fore ends.

Regards

Sean
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

I may know of a second hand Caldwell that will be for sale soon.
Also know of a Simplex that may come on the market.
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by V|PeR »

trying to decide between the Caldwell Rock Deluxe and Caldwell Rock BR
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Viper
I have a Caldwell Rock Deluxe, now way would I ever get another one. It looks great in the pictures but isnt any good when it arrives lol, Its ok for plinking at the range but no good if you want to do anything half serious. Its far to low, the front bag is small and doesnt have enough force when you tighten the sides.

Check this guys rest, was at an F Class shoot a couple of weekends ago and everyone (well not everyone) was using them. I ordered two, they are absolutely great, very sturdy, well made. Its not really a Competition benchrest but its pretty dam good.

http://www.daviestriggers.com.au/
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bnjdavies@ ... pod-cs.JPG
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Have any of you blokes used the Caldwell fire control front rest :?: I have seen them but not used one,they were supposed to be around the $400 odd mark,I dont want one but they might be worth a look.

Regards Chris.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Trev,

Those are F Class Bi Pods designed for use with an accessory rail
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Rinso
Ye I know as I have one, I should have realised that maybe Wadcutter doesnt have a rail. But if Wadcutter is handy he can do what Im doing, making up an adaptor so I can use it on a sling swivel.

The Fire control is pretty good, guy at our range has one and likes it, not quite as smooth as the one Trev has but its half the price, I would certainly own one of them Fire controls, they are nice.
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hi Wadcutter, Having built my own rests for some years now ,i am keen to view the comercial units as they come onto the market to compare to my own .. The only rest readily avaliable in AUST that i believe is worth spending money on is the Edgley out of Brisbane, sadly it is over the price you quoted.. Personally i would try for a second hand Bald Eagle or Hart (origin the US)as IMO you are wasting you money on the stuff i have been asked to repair in recent years..JR..Jeff Rogers ps pic of my light gun rest
wadcutter wrote:I am after a good quality front rest for under $500.
Any ideas?
benchrest alloy (Large).jpg
Jason shore

Post by Jason shore »

chris.tyne wrote:Have any of you blokes used the Caldwell fire control front rest :?: I have seen them but not used one,they were supposed to be around the $400 odd mark,I dont want one but they might be worth a look.

Regards Chris.
I have a fire control that is modified using a sinclair top .If you do a google and search you can pull up a thread that shows the mod.It needs to be done as the standard caldwell top needs to be thrown in the bin and the sinclair lets you use what ever bag you wish
Jason
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

AJ

Well done mate, that is agood looking piece of kit. outa interest, have you been to the Wodonga range with that. I have seen one very similar to that at our range.

I presume you must have a machine shop in your back yard to turn out work like that.
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by V|PeR »

http://www.kopjerifles.com/images/produ ... %20005.jpg

anyone used/seen one of these before?

I will mainly be using one for sighting in and the odd crack at rimfire BR