Supressors... worth the effort?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
andy303
Favourite Cartridge: 303

Re: Supressors... worth the effort?

Post by andy303 »

i had two ''noise moderators'' back in the day of semi autos and they were good for not spooking already jumpy rabbits, really there is nothing to them they are just a tube filled with cup washers that it !back when i had my .22 fitted with them at the lgs the law was you could own one but you couldnt use it or fit it to your rifle as explained to me by the gun smith just another brilliant call from our well respected law makers/ parliamentarians and really you can only use them with subsonics ,i didnt notice any difference when using higher power .22s you still had the same report with or with out the silencer oops i meant suppressor regards andy
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I just googled a 'how to make..." 173000 references!!!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Looks like this little thread has stirred up some feelings! No wonder I couldn't view it from work with all the swearing in here!Jesus boys it was not supposed to be a all in blue or anything! Now it started with a question as to whether it is worth it and also a bit of discussion on it. Now by stalkers remarks it is pretty obvious that the laws as they stand make it all but impossible to get unless you are a pro as he said. So thanks stalker. I will still ask about them as I reckon there could be an OH&S thing out there for people using them for work(farmers etc.) Now the percieved need for supressors is pretty much different in every persons eyes let alone anti gun activists which would no doubt use the criminal factor as an argument against them. The only way to really counter that is to say that they do not make a gun any more lethal and they can be made by any dickhead in a backard( saw one on youtube with a soft drink bottle filled with cotton wool!). The fact that they have not been made pretty much shows that the licencing laws are working well as licenced gun owners are law abiding. Having them made available with the same permit type as the PTA would make them contolled and regulated.

Only a debate/campaign based on fact and open, honest speaking would have a chance of getting things changed. I forget who said that the cooling off period is not a good idea but I disagree. I think it can take away spur of the moment perchases and maybe is one factor(along with strict licence controls) that keeps shootings by licenced shooters using licenced weapons so low. BTW it is only the first longarm that is subject to the 28 day period(in Vic anyway). further purchases are done ASAP.(doin one now)
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

trevort wrote:I just googled a 'how to make..." 173000 references!!!
The men in the black van will be arriving shortly to take you to the "re-education" camp Trevor.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I viewed via 'yoy-tube' earlier a silenced 338 Winchester Magnum although it wasn't fully silenced it made the shot indistinguishable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cFOJU09wo

The next link is the 338 Lapua.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYYPYXUewE

Finally, the 50 BMG silenced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OGbfyYO ... re=related

Regards

Sean
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Sean Ambrose wrote: The next link is the 338 Lapua.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYYPYXUewE
Sorry for the off topic post, but I love how he caught the brass when he was loading the next round. Very cool 8)
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

I have had my Permit for a couple of years now . It's a bit of mucking about to get but it's worth it.

Just finished setting a new set up today. Sako L461 with a Fluted Rem Barrel in .223 i had laying about. Fitted a Sako Varmint stock i picked up a couple of weeks ago. I'll be using my new Reflex T8 sound moderator on it and will do some testing in the morning to see how it go's before my next pest controll job.

Regards

Chris Thomas
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

chris thomas wrote:I have had my Permit for a couple of years now . It's a bit of mucking about to get but it's worth it.

Just finished setting a new set up today. Sako L461 with a Fluted Rem Barrel in .223 i had laying about. Fitted a Sako Varmint stock i picked up a couple of weeks ago. I'll be using my new Reflex T8 sound moderator on it and will do some testing in the morning to see how it go's before my next pest controll job.
The Reflex is a heavy beast, but it's an excellent mod. I had one on both my .223 and .243 back in the UK.
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

The Sako shot well with 5 shot groups in to the late .3's and early .4's at 100m. I'm just over the moon with this. Not too bad for a Remington VSSF barrel . My Gun smith installed a match chamber so this must be helping as it never shot this well when it was in the Remmington action.

Noise from the T8 is around Rimfire and a heap less than my Martini action Hornet i just bought. I think i'll move the Hornet along now

Regards

Chris Thomas
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Simpson wrote:.....Sorry for the off topic post, but I love how he caught the brass when he was loading the next round. Very cool 8)
G'day Simpson,

very cool indeed, I think that you will find they are taught that, a spent shell laying about will reflect light and reveal their position.

Regards

Sean
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

a spent shell laying about will reflect light and reveal their position.
And also they do not want to leave any trace of their presence.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Stalker wrote: After all that, you need to find someone to make you a can, you cannot import them.

I seriously doubt you would get one to shoot ferals on your own property
So in answer to your question, if you are going to put in the hours and make at least 15k a year from pro shooting work, then yeah, it might be worth the effort.
I know an armourer in Vic with certification to make and register "cans" for those with the proper permits to legally own a can. Importation is a no go AFIK.

From what I understand even if you have the permit to legally own a can, you aren't allowed to make your own- have to have it built and registered by appropriately liscenced maker

From my point of view, Like CCW I would like the choice of to own a can or not, rather than be prohibited by a big brother mentality from government

P
stillair1

Post by stillair1 »

It would be a pity if you could not import a pes/mae from New Zealand. I have all my rifles modded..22lr, 17hmr and .223. About the only bonus here in the uk regarding firearm laws. I have a pes on the hmr and a t8 on the Sako. I certainly would not want to go back to unmodded, the rifles are a lot sweeter to shoot modded.
I would be cautious comparing sound signatures on y tube. It's very rare that the microphones on the cameras used can relay full intensity of the sound signature from a modded centrefire being fired.

neil
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

When you blokes get it all sorted let me know: I just want to put an order in for the suppressed shotgun old mate had in the film "no country for old men"....

In the meantime, I'm buying a PCP air rifle so that I can quietly & accurately dispose of bunnys, pigeons and some other aerial vermin. No paperwork other than the usual for an Airgun fellas!
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

feralbuster wrote:When you blokes get it all sorted let me know: I just want to put an order in for the suppressed shotgun old mate had in the film "no country for old men"....
I've shot a couple of Hushpower fully moderated 12G's when back in the UK, and even with subsonics I was fundamentally unimpressed.