Canberra 1000 Yard Results - Sept 2014

Competition Results for All Shooting Sports (LRBR, BR, Silhouette etc etc)
ozeant
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Canberra 1000 Yard Results - Sept 2014

Post by ozeant »

Hi,

Thought I would get these up for Mick...

See attached results from this weekends 1000 yard shoot in Canberra... the first shot on the Electronic Targets. See tabs on the bottom for splits marked & blind etc. Note group measurements are in Millimetres.

I thought the electronic targets were great, they provided the opportunity to shoot marked or blind and made the shoot a pleasure to be at, and a great deal easier to run. Conditions were pleasant, but fairly gusty (typical Canberra) winds.

Cheers

Anthony
Attachments
Canberra 1000 Yard Sept 2014.xlsx
(19.16 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Canberra 1000 Yard Results - Sept 2014

Post by Camel »

Some good results, I see that Chappo 555 only just pipped 277.5 by one place, well done to the young fella. :D
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Camel wrote:Some good results, I see that Chappo 555 only just pipped 277.5 by one place, well done to the young fella. :D
Boy scored level with me on target one but smaller group. I came back in the second target and came 2nd in light gun. Those scores sheets are by group not score.

Chappo277.5 came 3rd in junior 500 fly and 7th overall in 300m bat shoot.

He did pretty well for his first Canberra trip.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Bloody oath mate, tell him well done from me, the others will probably agree. You did raise a little sweat, didn't you, when he got you on the first. :twisted:
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Bloody oath mate. If he beat me at 1000y on his first try I'd never hear the end of it. Seriously though I was pretty proud of him as usual.
ozeant

Post by ozeant »

lol... Yeah well done to both .... but particularly little Chappo.... I think I heard comments about him walking home while he was in front of dad in group size :) Good effort overall for his first Canberra Trip.

Rumor has it that Chappo won the 300 bat shoot on Saturday night as well....
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Thanks for that Anthony. Went to post them last night but you had beat me to it. hahah.

And thanks again to everybody who attended the weekend. Always good to catch up.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Looks like a tough day with the conditions but curious why it was shot on electronic targets rather than the 1000yd paper target.
ozeant

Post by ozeant »

Hi Al,
Have a look at Dave Groves thread on the www.500mflyshooter.com.au forum for some discussion, chime in if you have thoughts.

To me Electronic targets mean that there is no more Morning/Afternoon discrimination... the whole thing is quicker, you get to shoot both classes if you want to (almost never available under the previous system) and everyone gets scored the same....Feedback during the sighter period and then results after the record period are almost instant. You are not subject to markers errors or speed (i.e. choosing to shoot blind...and having your target pulled down after your first shot...or vice versa)

Yes, it means records potentially won't be formally recognised, and if you do shoot a very small group you won't be able to manually measure it for verification, or split two groups that measure to the same MM...... But you still get to shoot either marked or blind and you are still aiming at exactly the same target... so the event is the same, it is just the scoring method that differs.

Cheers

Anthony
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

albow wrote:Looks like a tough day with the conditions but curious why it was shot on electronic targets rather than the 1000yd paper target.
It IS shot on the IBS 1000 yard target. It is just not physically scored or measured on the target.

To be honest, I have no problem with that. I'm happy with the sub mm accuracy in measurement that Kongsberg guarantee for their targets. I think that in all reality, sub mm is going to be more accurate than measuring a piece of paper taped to some bowed corflute by loosely slapping a measuring tape across it. Unless everybody else is breaking out the plugs and verniers to measure EVERY group shot and can guarantee that the target face is perfectly flat.

It scores for you, it measures group, we don't have to find people to pull targets and we ran 30 shooters through 2 targets in about 4 hours. It's a convenience thing, really.
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Mick,

We must be different up here. We only shoot 1000yd in the morning or the afternoon, we have a random draw that is truly random, and some of us even shoot two classes. Then, shock, horror, we measure the groups with verniers on a flat surface. Guess it just goes to show how far behind the times we are.
Good to see the shoot went well, and good to see lots of shooters enjoying themselves. Keep up the good work.

Jeff