Amax's??

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Amax's??

Post by lowndsie »

I know the Hornady Amax's are a match pill, but has anyone shot anything with them and how did they preform? I know they have the polymer tip on them but Im thinking that under that they may be FMJ?? If its not then it could be very similar to a vmax!!
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Lowndsie,

Nothing wrong with Amaxs. My 22ppc Ruger VT loves the 52s. They are as explosive as anything except Win super explosives. Have tried nearly everything even custom benchrest projectiles and they still shoot better.

You should try some 75 Vmaxs in your 25.06 for varminting. They will take the head clean off a fox and you should be able to vapourize rabbits and crows with them.

Steve
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

yeah i'll give them a go. You recon they are more explosive than a 87gr TNT???
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

I shot one of them big 'long tailed rabbits' with a 140 gn AMax in the 6.5/284 just to see how they performed. Chest shot at about 300yds left an exit hole you could put your fist in. They kill like lightning !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Kenny
ojr

Post by ojr »

I know this is an old post but I use 155gr Amax in my 308.they consistantly shoot about 3'4 " in my Tikka Lsa 55.They are a long range round and don't come into there own till 200yrds
However having said all this I'm getting sick and fucken tired of posting with no replies,if you don't want a Kiwi on here at least have the balls to say so.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

ojr wrote: However having said all this I'm getting sick and fucken tired of posting with no replies,if you don't want a Kiwi on here at least have the balls to say so.
Mate I have replied to you once already. You have made 5 posts and they have all been today. Fridays are a quiet day as many people are out. So please be patient this is a forum not a chat site so you may have to wait more then a few hours to get a reply. Everyone is welcome on this site regardless of where your from. But please be patient as everyone is probably getting ready for competition or going out and hunting.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

ojr wrote:I know this is an old post but I use 155gr Amax in my 308.they consistantly shoot about 3'4 " in my Tikka Lsa 55.They are a long range round and don't come into there own till 200yrds
However having said all this I'm getting sick and fucken tired of posting with no replies,if you don't want a Kiwi on here at least have the balls to say so.

have a cry. u joined today. sorry we didnt respond to our sms alerts and leave everything we were doing just to attend to yor wishes. someone needs a hug
walking_death

Post by walking_death »

ojr wrote: However having said all this I'm getting sick and fucken tired of posting with no replies,if you don't want a Kiwi on here at least have the balls to say so.
Kia ora and welcome Bro'. But calm down, aussies aren't that anti kiwi,
I've lived here since I left godzone in '95 and even married one of "them".

Best way to get on with an aussie? Find a pom you can both poke shit at! :mrgreen:
ojr

Post by ojr »

GriMo wrote:
ojr wrote:I know this is an old post but I use 155gr Amax in my 308.they consistantly shoot about 3'4 " in my Tikka Lsa 55.They are a long range round and don't come into there own till 200yrds

have a cry. u joined today. sorry we didnt respond to our sms alerts and leave everything we were doing just to attend to yor wishes. someone needs a hug
Good on ya[ and the others]I apologise for my outburst,just wanted to see if anyone was actually alive on this forum :roll:
What I definatly don't want is to miss advice from guys who know what they are doing.Bad start for me ,Hopefully I'll do better from now on.
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

HMMMMMMMM maybe it's because of the the attitude :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, welcome aboard kiwi :lol:

Anyone ever sectioned an A-Max and a V-Max to compare the construction of them :?: They look the bloody same to me :lol:

KY
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Mate i cut open a 52gr Amax and underneath the polymer tip was a full covered jacket. I've never tried one on game but I assume they would preform similar to a full metal jacket. There was no core showing at all.
walking_death

Post by walking_death »

Lowndsie wrote:Mate i cut open a 52gr Amax and underneath the polymer tip was a full covered jacket. I've never tried one on game but I assume they would preform similar to a full metal jacket. There was no core showing at all.
Yeah, I recall seeing a picture comparing Vmax and Amax. Vmax is like a B'tip, hollow point with a plastic nose,

Image VMAX Image AMAX

can't find the pic I was thinking of.

I've got one of the 750gn 50 cal a-max's somewhere, cool thing it is too...
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Well, I got around to sectioning an A-Max this arvo.
A 140gn 6.5mm jobbie and it looks a lot like the V-Max pic in W_D's pic, I will take a piccy tomorrow and post it for all to see.

Definately no FMJ Lowndsie...what cal did you section :?: perhaps they build them a little differently :?

What has surprised me is, for a sweet shooting bullet the core is not that well bonded to the jacket as there is a void section half way up the ogive :shock: After talking to a custom bullet maker about making bullets(for benchrest) this is apparently the MOST important part.....hmmmmm

KY
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

Well here it is............
The poly tip sort of.... fell out when I started grinding and appered to be glued in....... :? a bit of lead moved into the hole where it came from but there is no jacket material for sure.

KY[/url]
Kenny
6mm Remington

Post by Kenny »

This is a pic of a .22cal 52gn AMax that Steven did this afternoon.
Guess we really need a VMax for comparison.....anyone got one to compare :?:
[img][img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... gnAmax.jpg[/img]

Cheers
KY[/img]
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.