You know what i hate the most about shooting...

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: You know what i hate the most about shooting...

Post by Tony Z »

Thanks Andrew, bolt knob is made of Acetol. Nope, no chance of doing reamers.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

kjd wrote:
So a 18% difference. $1000 rifle vs a 3 or 4 thousand dollar rifle? It really is about fractions at the higher levels of anything I do understand that. Nearly any piece of machinery or technology you will spend many thousands more for small gains that is for sure. .
That is the case in many pursuits. Take drag racing, pretty easy to get a 14/15 sec car down in the 12's but when it comes to making it a 9/10 it's a whole different ball game.

Same with shooting there is some great gear that shoots damn well off the shelf but to get it consistently shooting under half or less may take the custom barrel/action etc. It really is a pity that getting custom action's is getting harder.

Will see how my "factory" savage action with other gear goes soon enough. It is tough my $400 martini will shoot half inch groups at 100/200 same with the old mauser but once again horse for courses.

Ryan
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

This pretty well sums up what is going on with reamers at the minute. Received this email earlier this week after a message sent to me from the US that Grizzly was exporting PTG reamers.

Please note that unfortunately we will be unable to ship the items T23215 and T23209 directly to Australia. We actually can't ship these products outside the United States due to Federal Law prohibits the exportation of these items, therefore we have cancelled your order. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanking you,

Tina
Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

This is the first reply that i have received that actually cites a Federal Law being in place.
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

I got the same type of reply a month ago, I ordered a trigger, spring kit and shims from Brownells. On the shipping receipt they said that: "due to DDTC Restrictions they could not export Item xxxx". They wouldn't allow the spring and shims but the trigger was ok (and duly arrived :D) figure that out.....
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Tony- I have successfully ordered a couple of manson reamers last week. They have indicated they can definitely export it. 10-12 week lead time but its being done as far as Im aware.

Obviously they have applied for the necessary export permits and have everything done. They must see it as a good enough investment as I know the LGS here gets reamers from them as well.

I used my best manners in the email to them so fingers crossed they get here earlier :lol:
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

i have got onto this post late.

i have 1 factory barreled action (Rem 700 LTR) in my safe and its in an AICS stock, all of the other rifles (not customs actions) have aftermarket stocks and barrels with different twiasts and profiles not offered by factorys. I look at a custom or semi custom rifle as the only was to get what i want, if a factory woudl build the rifle i wanted i woudl consider buying it but until then its custom or seimcustom for me.

Why give rifle makers a lot of money for something you are not 100% happy with!!
Favourite Cartridge: .303 British

Post by 303 »

Armchair "experts"
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I think the term is "Keyboard" expert.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

or Armchair "hunters"