building and shooting a PRS/precision service rifle final pics

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

building and shooting a PRS/precision service rifle final pics

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Hi All
A few want to know what PRS(precision rifle shooting) and PSR Precision service rifle are and whats involved.
Well I am no expert, but here's my experiences shooting PSR at Hornsby, they are also shot at Castlemain in victoria and on the majura ranges in the ACT and ranges are shot from 100 to 1000m
PRS matches are mostly shot on ranges with barricades to lean plus all sorts of shooting positions and shot on all sorts of targets inc steel which you knock down or swing and thats about all I know, just do a search on youtube.
Now Precision Service Rifle is shot on mostly Australian Army style targets such as the fig 14 face target ,fig12 top half of a person and fig 11 the whole person, all with scoring rings.
There are no sighting rounds ,you shoot the target and adjust during the match !~!!!!! yes you BETTER have your height settings correct! LOL .the shoots are all on nra ranges that I know of, and at canberra they shot one round at a clay target at 1000m for the first shot of the match a few months back!!! no one hit it...
Now for the rifles, mostly BIG money is spent here, BUT you can shoot anything allowed on the range in two classes they are NATO either 308 or 223rem and open class any other caliber allowed on the range. here's a few pics of my Stiller TAC30 in 308 on the grass, and my new Stiller Spectre(no not from james Bond LOL) with it's octagonal shaped action in 260rem ,both rifles have Atlas worxs bottom metal trigger guards and McMillian A3A5 stocks and one huge advantage is both take AI double stack AW Mags.
The action still needs to be Glass bedded into the stock on the green 260rem, and the Schmidt and Bender PM2 5x25x56 mounted and the rifle sighted in, and ill provide updates over the next few weeks as my gunsmith has the bad flu going around and hasn't been able to do much and I don't want to press him.
Attachments
canberra may.jpg
20431415_1237556529686442_2360063905214895875_n.jpg
stiller tac30.jpg
20170923_192607.jpg
20170923_192607.jpg (87.1 KiB) Viewed 503 times
IMG_7708_zps1jbzjvuk.jpg
Last edited by lee_enfield223 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: building and shooting a PRS/precision service rifle

Post by curan »

Looks good! Thanks for the post ..... :D
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

20170923_192453.jpg
20170923_192453.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 501 times
here's a few more pics of the rifle in pieces to show how it was inletted for the spectre action and atlas bottom metal
Last edited by lee_enfield223 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Nice looking rifles. Great choice in glass.
The 260 should be very competitive.
Do keep us posted on how it comes together.
Cheers
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Agreed, good choice of glass. Where is the Terminator brake lol :D

Hard to see PRS flourish here like in the US though. The NRAA dislikes brakes so comps would have to be seperated from the prone shooters. The SSAA has a ban on humanoid targets as well as a similar aversion to brakes that mainly stems from some distant but close relative of the Steggasaurus becoming agitated during its tea and biscuit rituals. A sort of genetic throwback from its CFMEU and BLF era.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

I would suggest the SSAA brought the angst upon themselves.

Squadding shooters with and without brakes right next to each other, is the cause.

One of the reasons I stopped making the trek out to Silverdale, was being placed on a bench in between two shooters with brakes. This happened on two occasions. While I understand that using brakes is a thing, putting a rimfire shooter next door is asking for stress.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Thanks Guys for your comments. OK here's my experience with muzzle brakes,,,, when I was shooting the grey stocked 308win in fclass to get my height settings calibrated against my kestrel meter I was not allowed to use a brake,,,,BUGGER !!!!! as your height and windage settings change when it's off, during my first match using 168gr nosler custom match projectiles and 45grs of 2208 with lapua small rifle primer palma brass, in the chanlyn barrel with a chamber cut using a US M14 match chamber reamer, yes it's a tight chamber, but still chambers factory ammo JUST. I had massive problems with recoil, during the first match and it slowed me down, plus the guy beside me moved in real close with his brake and blasted grass all over me with every shot, so I thought bugger it ill fit the brake and never looked back, But I tried the brakes with small holes all around, and discovered that the accuracy was all over the place and recoil was still quite high as well as muzzle lift, so I fitted one with three ports and the difference was amazing !!!!!!!!!! the target below was shot cleaning between shots at 100m and the recoil feels like shooting a 243win with 70gr projectiles ,plus I was a lot faster on followup shots, and if you guys look at the bolt handle on the grey 308 rifle you will notice that it's a stainless steel ball ,, well it's a copy of a winchester model 70 ball, what I have found is the big long knobs bind the bolt in the action and slow you down, Yes I know a big knob is the in thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL but they slow you down in a rapid fire....
but yes I hate shooting beside brakes in an enclosed range such as stMarys SSAA ,,Ill give you an example, I was testing out my Anschutz 1416 in 22lr and the guy beside me was shooting a 300win mag yes you guessed it with a brake, well every time he fired my rifle would jump on the bench and even through ear plugs and muffs my ears still hurt !! . Thats why I refuse to shoot there anymore, but out on an open range, well they are usable if you aren't too close.
Attachments
20170218_121119.jpg
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Unfortunately brakes are a fashion statement these days whether we like it or not. They annoy me as well but they have their place and should not be isolated (alienated). To continually ignore their inclusion in competition is missing out on a fairly large and new group of shooters who by nature spend a lot of money on their equipment. The "quiet" brakes as made by Vias are very efective and not seriously obnoxious like some side port numbers. These should easily find their way into competition without pissing too many people off.
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

found a good video on the vais brake here's the link, also they are $180 at brownells australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLCTlA_8RA
Looks like another job for my smith,,,,,ill need to mortgage my house !!!!!! :roll: :(
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

Let me just say that I get that brakes are out there for better or worse.

What is needed is management of it. SSAA don't manage it and it pisses people off, who then agitate for the exclusion of rifles with brakes.

Likewise, regardless of what you shoot you don't have a god-given right to do what you want and piss off other range users.

Give and take, with some careful and judicious management - Hey Presto! No issue....
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

I'm keen to get into PRS as well and am deciding whether to convert my accurized Rem700 (fit a 6mm barrel and detachable mag/bottom metal) or buy a used Tikka 243 with its detachable mag and put one of my 6mm barrels on it?
I will put a side port brake on it, though I do realise it will limit the places I can use one and will also have to be careful when I use it for rabbit sniping around others.
I have seen that there are some PRS comps in Australia (Darwin and Victoria so far with NSW likely coming soon) already running where you shoot from various different positions, props and barricades on metal gong targets which was what I wanted to try, not just the comps fired prone on grass mounds.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Anyone have any input on bipods for a PRS gun?
I see the Harris notched leg swivelling bipod is pretty popular in F/tr but some people love the Atlas bipods which are much more expensive. Are the Atlas bipods any better to use or is it more tacticool wank value?
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

RDavies wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm Anyone have any input on bipods for a PRS gun?
I see the Harris notched leg swivelling bipod is pretty popular in F/tr but some people love the Atlas bipods which are much more expensive. Are the Atlas bipods any better to use or is it more tacticool wank value?
The atlas are a great bipod but in the USA the harris is the most popular in their comps due to speed of deployment.
Cheers
lee_enfield223
.17 HMR

Post by lee_enfield223 »

Ok guy's here my take on it all again. The 6mm cals are great but I think that the 6.5s may have a slight edge in the barrel life .I will buy a vais brake and get it fitted. Regarding the rem or tikka well I have had both and WON'T go back.in fact I only use aftermarket rem 700 copys now .my latest being an ultimatum u300 action in 223rem .I agree the ssaa should put say 2 or three lanes aside for brakes and let those shooters blast each other .ha ha that way people who are against brakes are ok.yes those who already said that are correct 😉 I think that the 260rem or 6.5 creedmoor are most suited to psr or prs, but to correct a error !!!! Precision service rifle is not all prone !!!!!! There's sitting standin, sitting supported standing supported, the hawkins position. Laying on your back !!!!! Etc it's quite hard .I hope this cleared up any missing information. I'll look for more pictures to post so that you can see.
Oh bipods ....well I use a Chinese atlas copy for $50 off ebay. I used to have an original atlas and the Chinese one is dam near as good. I have 3 Harris bipods and won't use them as you don't have the 45deg leg angle that you can get on the atlas....and heres a guy in the sitting position
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-09-26-09-10-34-640x400.png
Screenshot_2017-09-26-09-10-34-640x400.png (329.88 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Rod i agree with Grant. The sharp end of the shooters shows 75% of the top 100 in the US use the Harris. And it has nothing to do with cost. The Atlas is waaaayyyy overated.
Easy test for you is to take that old 308 and try both. I know which will more closely match the potential off the bench. Try it on soft ground then concrete. Huge change.