South Alligator Barra

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Rolcar52
.22 WMR

South Alligator Barra

Post by Rolcar52 »

G'day all,
A couple of South Alligator Barra I caught recently. I lost one that was 1345 long, I know how big she was because a mate caught her the next day with my Nilsmaster invincable still in her mouth, as a consalation prize I got my Lure back will be tossing it to her again when I get back to Jabiru I hope she still likes it,
South Aligator Barra3.jpg
South Alligator Barra1.jpg
South Alligator Barra2.jpg
Regards Rolfy.
mozzie

Re: South Alligator Barra

Post by mozzie »

HEY A few nice salties Rolcar .
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

I reckon Barra taste better when they're all silvery like that; supposed to mean they're not long out of the salt water, and they're "cleaner". Whaddya reckon?
Cheers,
ol' wooby
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

BINGO! nice fish Rolfy, pitty about the 1345 thats a flamin big fish :(

All the best
John
mozzie

Post by mozzie »

HEY Definately the silver,yellow finned saltwater barra are better eating in my opinion .
Rolcar52
.22 WMR

Post by Rolcar52 »

G'day 1kshot,
I swear she had a saddle on her back , she only had one jump before the new shitty Leader I'd bought in Darwin a couple of days before broke, she was at least 500mm to 600mm thick through the body I was a bit upset, as this was a fish of a lifetime, hopefully they are still biting next week when I go back up North and I get another chance at her.
Regards Rolfy.
Rolcar52
.22 WMR

Post by Rolcar52 »

G'day woob614271,
Yes as mozzie and you say the silver ones are better eating, they are nice and sweet you only have to keep it simple and BBQ the fillets in butter and enjoy. The freshwater ones are a little muddy or earthy flavoured, better to take a photo and return them to the water unharmed.
Regards Rolfy.
WTranger
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by WTranger »

Rolcar52 wrote:G'day woob614271,
Yes as mozzie and you say the silver ones are better eating, they are nice and sweet you only have to keep it simple and BBQ the fillets in butter and enjoy. The freshwater ones are a little muddy or earthy flavoured, better to take a photo and return them to the water unharmed.
Regards Rolfy.
The silver barra are definitely better eating. As for the freshwater ones they can match the saltwater barra in eating quality as long as there is good flow in the river. I have caught many of barra in the Ross River while it has been flowing well that have been silver and of equal tasting qualities to the saltwater ones, I also had some saltwater barra that I had caught to compare with and both eaten fresh there was no difference. Although most of the time the saltwater fish are much better. I have plenty of photos that I will have to post with all being caught in the local river. My mate actually caught a 1230mm fish in the middle of the city at Aplins weir. The Ross River is definitely an underrated fishery.