Best 4x4 dual cab Turbo Diesel for under $35k

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: Best 4x4 dual cab Turbo Diesel for under $35k

Post by andrewk »

Glenn wrote:I have an 04 D22 Navara that I like.
GriMo is right about the oil issue.
My nephew is a mechanic and told me to only use 100% synthetic oil with a
fairly low number, 0-25, 10-30.
Initial start up is the killers!

If you are going to tow a horse float though Keith then I would look at something else. They are ok for smaller stuff.
A bloke I worked with brought a new one to tow a big boat and ended up selling
it for a secondhand Landcruiser.

Glenn
what oil are you running in your nav?

i've had the oil light come on from a cold start for about 4 seconds for a while. some reckon its a faulty switch but i'm not sure.
currently i'm using 15-40 castrol magnatec but am looking into penrite semi synthetic oil.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Grimo how long does that deal go for?
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

kjd wrote:Grimo how long does that deal go for?
A few are offering 1% finance or something like that. Cant remember if its Holden, but one of the manufacturers ends that deal tomorrow. But in a sluggish market, I reckon it'll be back.
Cheers...
Con
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Not entirely sure when it expires mate.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

GriMo wrote:Not entirely sure when it expires mate.
It's Nissan's 1% offer that ends tomorrow. But I bet you its back sooner rather than later. :D
Cheers...
Con
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I drive an 07 SR hilux king cab (space cab) Bought it with 64000 in the clock for 33,990. It was an ex water corp vehicle from the pilbara over here. I know where it came from and what sort of things it would have been doing and know why the clutch went about 10,000k's after I bought it. I also had to get the syncro's re done- god knows why. But aside from those issues, it came with a 130L fuel tank, lift kit and upgraded suspension and snorkel. Its been a reliable car. Been up and back to the pilbara a few times from south of perth, been along mine access tracks to karijini national park, went to brisbane and back in a week in January to pick up a boat and tow home and the only issue Ive had was dirty fuel which clogged the filter at coonabarabran. 60 bucks in filter and labour at a place there and i was sorted.

Fuel wise Im getting 1200-1300k's to a tank driving around town. About 950 towing my 4.8m custom glass centre console.

Im very happy with it the only thing I want now is to be able to put a baby seat in the back which I cant do.

Last week I test drove the new navara (drool) and new colorado, both in dual cab. Out of the two I would go for the nissan by far. The colorado to me wasnt user friendly. Lots of lights, funny bits and pieces that you would get used to but are just different to other makes. The new engine sounds totally different to a diesel too. I liked the fact that holden used isuzu motors in thier colorados and rodeos as they were proven to run forever and a day. The new ones are still unproven to me. What I do like about the colorado over the nissan was the price tag and the windows for shooting out of. Nissans have a small window for some reason and it was the first thing I noticed when I sat in there. Nissans have heaps more power it felt like. Soon as you got to about 2000rpm it took off. Like the 6th gear in the manual gearbox when highway cruising too. The colorado didnt have as much get up and go as the nissan- and not as much as my 5 year old hilux either for that matter.
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

im over the moon with my pathfinder, much the same as the navara, cept wagon. I went the petrol model (no longer available) great off road, smooth, quiet, and find it a lot more roomier than the father in-laws dmax. I personally will be buying a navara on the good experiences ive had with the pathfinder for my next truck.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Im going to eat my previous words.

Ive just bought a new 2012 colorado dual cab in metallic grey. While the toyota and the nissan have more balls than the colorado and yes it was a little more confusing instrument wise than the hilux, I think its actually quite a good ute. I got used to driving it after a couple more short test drives and a full day running around with it. Its got a good safety rating, excellent towing capacity, looks to be very economical and best of all and the main reason for going ahead with it is I can put a baby seat in the back so we dont need to take 2 cars when going away with the boat in tow. There has been a massive increase in the number of these utes around my area now and all feedback about them seems very positive which put my doubts about the new motor at rest. And I got used to the heads up driver display pretty easy too.

For $45 a week cheaper than what Im paying now, for a brand new car, its a no brainer to me.

Should take delivery next week just got to get the bull bar fitted and windows tinted. Will get some side steps as well and a well body tray liner. It will take a month or so til they can get a canopy in the metallic grey colour for me but thats ok. At least when its on I can stop carting the dog around in the cab and getting fur everywhere (and sand when going to the beach.)

First ever new car, looking forward to it!