Bass n Cod

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Bass n Cod

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Recently had some good fishing over 2 weekends
First weekend was spent with my son and good friends on the snowy river fishing for bass out of kayaks
The drive in to spot we camped was great 4x4s on its own

We fished the sat afternoon and Sunday morning on the river tossing lures

At the end we had hooked 15 bass landed 11 dropped 2 an got smashed by 2 ( couldn't stop them on 6lb braid) my Pb went 2.1 kg the biggest I've every caught

We kept 2 for the pot (smoker) for our lunch on the Sunday

The next weekend we (family ) stayed with friends at Nagambie during the day the kids caught Yellowbelly and Redfin on worms ...I tossed lures most of the day for cod...but to no availe
That night after dinner stitting around the fire that I thought I would drown a scrubby
Sat back down in my chair opened my double black ... Rod buckled over and reel screamed
And finally after 35 years of trying( not a great fisherman ) caught a Cod,
Took the pic and let him go

A good 7 days best ever bass and a cod

Sako 22-250
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.22 KiB) Viewed 474 times
image.jpg
BP72
22-250 Remington

Re: Bass n Cod

Post by BP72 »

The old cod are a beautiful fish alright , they hit like steam trains . Used to love to sit and here them smash insects landing on the surface just after dark .
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Bloody nice fish mate, get plenty of cod out here, but never caught a bass, wouldn't mind having a chew on one or two of them sometime. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Wow. Here's someone who seems to spend every weekend doing something in the great outdoors :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

BP it hit like a train ..was only using 6lb line was a good fight
Camel the bass are great fighters dogged to the end .. Spectacular when they hit a jitterbug on the surface
Mark
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Love it.

Marcus
Space Cadet
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Bass n Cod

Post by Space Cadet »

Awesome fish, a bass is certainly on the bucket list for me. Can't beat big bucket-mouthed natives!
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Space Cadet
If you are in Vic the fisheries dept has recently stocked Bass in Blue Rock Dam (Moe) only a hr or so from Melbourne and from all reports there are some ok sized fish being caught
Sako
Space Cadet
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Bass n Cod

Post by Space Cadet »

Sako 22-250 wrote:Space Cadet
If you are in Vic the fisheries dept has recently stocked Bass in Blue Rock Dam (Moe) only a hr or so from Melbourne and from all reports there are some ok sized fish being caught
Sako
Sako, I've seen some of the bass from there, the stocking program certainly seems to be working! Still got a bit of time to go before they have some good size though. I have it on good authority that all the rivers east on the Prom have numbers of good bass, and have seen some quality fish pulled from those waters. I planned to get out there over summer but other things took over unfortunately! They're certainly out there.

Cheers!
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester

Post by Sako 22-250 »

"I have it on good authority that all the rivers east on the Prom have numbers of good bass, and have seen some quality fish pulled from those waters.Cheers![/quote]

Space cadet
As well as Bass there good numbers of EP's as well in the lower reaches of these rivers.
heard reports EPs were being caught up around Tooradin last summer
Tight lines
Mark