Tikka Delemma 1st Centrefire

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Re: Tikka Delemma 1st Centrefire

Post by mistit »

Thats a nice looking rifle Fenring :D
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

damien couper wrote:Have you looked into the vortex viper scopes there as good if no better than Leopold and half the price
I've looked through a few and wouldn't recommend one.
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

The 10 shot mag would be a little over the top, especially in the T3 lite, unless you want to put enough heat into that little sporter barrel for it to develop a nasty droop. hahah
I have one in 300WM, and the 3 shot mag is more than enough. If you fire all 3 quickly, I wouldn't recommend touching the barrel straight after.
adamjp wrote:
damien couper wrote:Have you looked into the vortex viper scopes there as good if no better than Leopold and half the price
Really?
Had a look through quite a few myself, and couldn't see a problem. Glass was nice and clear, nice positive adjustments, returns to zero reliably. Can't really beat them for the price. Mines doing pretty well so far.
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Mick wrote:
adamjp wrote:
Really?
Had a look through quite a few myself, and couldn't see a problem. Glass was nice and clear, nice positive adjustments, returns to zero reliably. Can't really beat them for the price. Mines doing pretty well so far.
Try shooting in any direction where you are getting sun flare on the objective.

The Vipers have this problem, so do others of the Vortex range as their lens coatings are the same.

I have not looked through the Raxor HD, but for the price I'll buy something else.

Oddly, my Vortex Kaibabs don't have a sun flare problem so they are clearly made to a slightly different standard.
Mr Fluffy
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Mr Fluffy »

Hi Guy,

Looks like I'm decided. Went and had another look at the Tikka's today so depending on actually seeing the Steiner I think I will be going with;
Tikka .223 Lite Stainless Fluted
Steiner Predator 4-16X50 scope
Zeiss Conquest CONQUEST HD5 5-25x50 Rapid-Z Varmint
Leupold rings
Harris swivel bi-pod

Just asked Keith for a price.

Thanks for all your advice.

Ferring, thought long and hard about the laminated stock however gut says go the synthetic. Thanks every one for your help and advice. I've Put more research into buying a gun that and my last certificated course. Anyway thanks again.

Leigh
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

I think you mean the Hunter Fluted?

The Lite is too thin to effectively flute.
Mr Fluffy

Post by Mr Fluffy »

O'reilly's say that they would swap actions with stocks to give me the Fluted Lite.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

won't the barrel profiles be different between the fluted and the lite? this would make the barrel channel in the lite stock too narrow?

I'm no tikka expert but I thought they would be different :roll:

BB
Mr Fluffy

Post by Mr Fluffy »

Not sure, Just asked the question if they would swap and they said that they could for a little extra.

I will investigate and let you guys know.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Im no tikka expert, but doesnt the lite come with a crappy plastic stock and the hunter with a laminated? I would go the straight laminated. If they swap stocks for you and you go from laminate to plastic I would be asking for a refund not having to pay extra... :evil:
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

I agree 100% Brad, I'd take the walnut stock over a plastic one any day.

I'm pretty sure the walnut stock is worth double that of the lite stock too.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I think the fluted Hunter and standard barrels are the same profile - one is fluted, one is not. The Lite refers to the synthetic stock.

The Laminated is a couple of hundred bucks dearer than the Lite.
Mr Fluffy

Post by Mr Fluffy »

Well is done, Kinda, with another dilemma.

Ordered to pick up next week a;
Tikka .233 light. (Went the light over a timber as the scratches in my other timber stock piss me off when I look at them and I wont stress as much over the plastic stock.)
Steiner 4-16X50 Predator
Lepould Rings

The problem now is that the sales man who was great with his advice (who actually took the time to explain several thing to me and who went well past what I have come to expect from a lot of sales people I have spoken to so thanks JS)and knowledge for my budget said he would put a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12X50 instead of the Steiner.

Whats you thoughts on the Duraltyt?

I like the Steiner as that's what the gut says to go with and it will do Varminting,stalking and spot lighting. Down side is that the parallax needs between distances.

Duraltyt has no parallax adjustment is illuminated however does not have the magnification range or the Plex of the Steiner.

Just when I thought I was done I have more ponder.

Also for the non re-loaders what bullets brand/grain and price per 20 are you guys using for foxes, rabbits& roos?

Thanks for the advice so far.

Leigh
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Hey, if your guts say go with the Steiner, then go with it, the one you list has got plenty of magnification for what you want, Ive never looked through either scope so wont give an opinion, 7 out of 8 of my scopes are Conquests.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

Mr Fluffy wrote:Well is done, Kinda, with another dilemma.

Ordered to pick up next week a;
Tikka .233 light. (Went the light over a timber as the scratches in my other timber stock piss me off when I look at them and I wont stress as much over the plastic stock.)
Steiner 4-16X50 Predator
Lepould Rings

The problem now is that the sales man who was great with his advice (who actually took the time to explain several thing to me and who went well past what I have come to expect from a lot of sales people I have spoken to so thanks JS)and knowledge for my budget said he would put a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12X50 instead of the Steiner.

Whats you thoughts on the Duraltyt?

Leigh
So did the sales man actually give you a price and availability on the Steiner as a distributor/retailer for Steiner? If not, I'd suggest you are being sold what he has in stock, as opposed to what you requested. It sounds like the store has already bent over backwards to swap actions and stocks over to make sure you didn't go somewhere else. At the end of the day the Duralyt isn't the Predator so you really have the upper hand here.

I think you're right to be specifying a higher magnification scope if you're primarily looking at smaller targets. I find the x16 and even x24 mag useful for identifying targets that don't give you much to look at when spotlighting over 200m