Building a 20 PPC

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Re: Building a 20 PPC

Post by stinkitup »

Ol 55 wrote:[

The PPC is a little more work brass forming and costs etc I would imagine.

Ryan
No just run it through the die and fire form, the fire forming load is very accurate way to good
not to splat things, the are no more expensive than any other Lapua brass
Gary[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.

Vermingone Boyds do a stock for the cz's as well.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Camel wrote:
Vermingone wrote:So an action like this one http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=19790
Would be what I should be looking for ?
Or a donor rifle like this http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=29627

First one, no, its the long action that has everything from 243 to 30-06 length, the second one would be the go, be warned though, you will not like the factory stock, make good fire starter and are pretty ordinary in the fitting.

I spose if you are going to rebarrel you wouldn't use the stock anyway. Boyds make a stock for the M85 short action, but I have found that they are a little short in the fore end, I will be lengthening mine and probably widening it as well, just need to get my shit together and do something about it.
The second one is not a Zastava m85, but a CZ527. It would also be a good base for a 20 PPC, just a little more expensive is all.

For a varmiter, you might want a different stock, and a new bolt handle as the standard CZ bolt handle is very high causing the scope to be mounted too high.

You could also just buy a Howa Varmit in 204 and have it modified to work. Should be a simple job for a decent gunsmith. Fit a detachable magazine bottom metal and a modified 223 magazine and you will get a great feeding, very accurate 20 PPC that won't owe you too much at all.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

OOOPs :oops: guess I should have looked at it and not presumed. :oops:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

20 Tac 32`s at 3950 fps

20 PPC 32`s at 4300 fps

I reckon if that rifle was a Sako you would be as happy as 14 yr old with 2 dicks.

My advice is buy the best you can afford that and come up to a Missathon and have a play with a few different rifle/action/stock/scope combo`s.

Also remember the path to a custom gun is very very slippery
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

MISSED wrote:20 Tac 32`s at 3950 fps

20 PPC 32`s at 4300 fps

I reckon if that rifle was a Sako you would be as happy as 14 yr old with 2 dicks.

My advice is buy the best you can afford that and come up to a Missathon and have a play with a few different rifle/action/stock/scope combo`s.

+1!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

Yep probably agree, I will show you how good the Tact goes next week.
Ol 55
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Bring that PPC too please
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

Trevort
Don't forget to remind me about those projectiles.
20gn 17cal?
Ol 55
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

MISSED wrote:20 Tac 32`s at 3950 fps

20 PPC 32`s at 4300 fps

Would love to but am in the Wild West ;)
I'm loving the different ideas tho fellas thankyou.
Vermingone
.204 Ruger

Building a 20 PPC

Post by Vermingone »

Double post
Vermingone
.204 Ruger

Post by Vermingone »

adamjp wrote:
You could also just buy a Howa Varmit in 204 and have it modified to work. Should be a simple job for a decent gunsmith. Fit a detachable magazine bottom metal and a modified 223 magazine and you will get a great feeding, very accurate 20 PPC that won't owe you too much at all.
Thanks Adam
So this would still run the 220 Russian brass ?
Would I need a new barrel ?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Why not do something that is even more differenter, 20 Beggs, straight neck down of the 220Rusky case, then shoot em. :D
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

Another option if you can find the brass is Sako 22PPC. I managed to find brand new 200 22PPC brass for the old mans 20PPC build.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Vermingone wrote:
adamjp wrote:
Thanks Adam
If you want to build a custom gun with all the potential to get the absolute max accuracy potential then a custom match grade barrel would be important. But if you are chasing absolute max accuracy your brass prep and reloading procedures need to match the quality of your rifle.

Your 20 cal Howa barrel could be "cut and shut" by a competent smith, meaning a bit is chopped off the threads, a reamer for the cartridge you want is run in and then its threaded and screwed back onto your original action. If its all set up square and the trigger is light and crisp it might have 98 or 99% of the accuracy of a custom barrel for a lower cost. You might be like me and your shooting ability would limit you to find the 1 or 2% difference in the full custom ( I go with its capability compensates somewhat for my lack thereof)

You just need to ensure there is enough "meat" in your barrel to safely support your new chamber and that will depend on which cartridge you choose. I would venture that you would almost be guaranteed safe to take the 204 down to 20 practical as the barrel wont need to be shortened much but if you chose a 20 br, as its shorter and fatter more metal would be removed in forming the new chamber and I would ask the gunsmith's opinion first.

IIRC TonyZ had (has?) a switch barrel set up on a T3 which included a 20 cal barrel. He is also a very competent gunsmith I believe. You could PM him with direct questions if he doesn't see this thread
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Vermingone wrote:
adamjp wrote:
Thanks Adam
Yes, 220 Ruski brass, necked down and fireformed on the first shot.

No, the Factory Howa VARMIT barrel has enough weight in the chamber end to allow it to be setback the 10mm or so you will need for a clean chamber to be cut.

204 Ruger case is 47mm long.
20 PPC case is 39mm long.

Neck length on the Ruger is slightly longer so you need to come back those extra couple of mm to get the tighter custom chamber in there. Essentially you are knocking off 6.5 threads to get the 10.4mm setback. The half thread is worthwhile to hide the original Howa barrel stamp underneath in the channel.