First time Wildcat design?

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Apples
Favourite Cartridge: 375 cheytac

Re: First time Wildcat design?

Post by Apples »

dan_351 wrote:
kickinback wrote:Seeing as you are using the RUM brass, have you considered the 7mmLRM?
G'day Kickin,

I have just been doin a little reading into it now, its formed from 375 Ruger brass, neat cartridge indeed. Though i still wanna follow up on the extended WSM chambering, will still offer a reasonable capacity increase again.

Its a Shame its only really Rem and Nosler make RUM brass though
Norma make RUM cases now as well.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Apples wrote:
So does Bertram, he was running it last time I visited. Unfortunately I couldn't get basic RUM brass for my wildcats. :D
Cheers...
Con
dan_351
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260 soon

Post by dan_351 »

Thats great news RE Norma, infact i had seem some Barnes RUM (sorry Camel) brass and assumed it'd have to be Norma

It seems when searching reamer sites etc the RUM serious and Wildcats have a presence in the Brenchrest space too so maybe... one day Lapua will start making RUM tube brass for everyone hahahahahahahaha

Soooo my googling has lead me to this

300 RUM shortened to a 7mm RHB i think its called

This is the type of forming die i could be using (shortening a SAUM case) and at a pintch i reackon it would get WSM brass short enough to form SAUM for those who might be interested

Now the question is were can i get the Form dies from or is it a special Custom make?
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

Con wrote:
Apples wrote:
So does Bertram, he was running it last time I visited. Unfortunately I couldn't get basic RUM brass for my wildcats. :D
Cheers...
Con
Any idea what quantity it would take to get him to produce Basic and possibly unstamped. I know he had some 338 Edge cases as i bought a few for the Inert round collectors a year or 2 back. It has a rather smooth weatherby looking shoulder which was obviously blown out at Fireforming
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

He used to say minimum x2000, but the custom case work has dropped away I guess as most times I drop by he's running 338Lapua by the tonne.
Cheers...
Con
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Dan there was a chap on 6mmbr that was making that type of die

Maybe pm OL55 I think he was playing around with making a die that used "S" type bushes
dan_351
.17 HMR

Post by dan_351 »

MISSED wrote:Dan there was a chap on 6mmbr that was making that type of die

Maybe pm OL55 I think he was playing around with making a die that used "S" type bushes
Thanks Andrew, i have been struggling along with this computer on Life support since the beginning of June, it needs a complete re-install of windows. I might get that done and start chasing round on the LRH and 6mmbr forums too. I found a post from an Aussie bloke yesterday asking was there any way of making or Sizing down RUM brass to form Dakota cases. Simple answer was NO.

I'm am wanting to effective make an Improved Dakota, using WSM dies and Possibly a cut off WSM body die or RUM BD if i need to size the lower half of the case.

In saying all this as with Con's first post i need to get in touch with a bloke that was done this sorta thing before
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

I went and had a look for you and here is the link

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index. ... sg36261262

In this ad I am introducing my new Wildcatters Shoulder Set back Die Set. The purpose of these dies are to be used to set back a shoulder on any number of cartridges to form a new cartridge (i.e. wildcat) or an existing cartridge that is formed from other brass. Our good friend, the late Skip Otto, used to make a similar set of dies in one size used for making 6mm BR brass from .308 or UBR brass. I have a set of those dies, and I use them to form a number of wildcat cartridges. These dies that I make are made of 4140 steel, hardened and black oxide coated, and the inserts are made of D-2 tool steel also hardened and black oxide coated. The inserts are then diamond polished, to give a superior surface finish.

I make these die sets in 2 different sizes right now, with 2 more sizes for future plans. The first of the 2 sizes is built around using larger diameter brass like .308, .30-06, 6.5x47 Lapua, .220 swift, .220 russian (PPC), 7mmx57 Mauser, and .250 Savage. Any number of wildcats are based on those existing cartridges. The second die I sell is smaller, and is based on being used to form wildcats from .223, .222, .222 rem mag, or .221 fireball brass. Any of the new cartridges that got there start as one of those rounds can be formed with this sized die.

I am selling these die sets for $125 each, plus shipping. I will ship USPS flat rate insured with delivery confirmation. That service will cost $8.50, so the total each will be $133.50.

Here's the deal, If you want to contact me about these dies or any other product, You have to email me. I can save, copy, print, store in folders, etc from email. I can do everything I need to to keep our transactions and everyone elses organized in my email folders. This helps ensure order accuracy. I can't do that here in the form of Private Messages (PM's) So e-mail me please.

Thank You,

Paul
Pbike257 @ Gmail.com
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Dan,
Give BRT a call, I swear for some reason I have it in mind that they could supply the wildcat forming dies that a bloke by the name of Butch Lambert in the USA produces.

Aha ... search and you will find. :lol:

http://www.benchrest.com.au/shadetree.htm#

Cheers...
Con