AIR RIFLE QUESTIONS, AS MANY PEOPLE ANSWER AS POSSIBLE

Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

AIR RIFLE QUESTIONS, AS MANY PEOPLE ANSWER AS POSSIBLE

Post by Knackers »

OK, I'll tell you what I know about air rifles.
When I was twelve my grandfather had a .177 Deer brand I use to pop sparrows and starlings with, I got about 5% that I went for.
Latter on about 14 a mate got an air rifle for xmas and I can't remember what brand, but you could see the pellets in flight, so I assume it was piss weak.
From that time I used .22lr's and centrefires, and had nothing to do with AR's since.
When I was 40 a Mate gave me a BSA Meteor and I put 3-4 boxes of pellets through it and on the odd time do some plinking with it.

A few months ago a mate bought his son a Gamo CFX on aquiring his junior permit. FMD these things hit hard, and they are a cheapy, I'm wondering what a real good quality one can do?.

As I have started a family recently and have another on the way, I find that my hobby funds are getting thinner and are starting to think about a AR cause they are a lot cheaper to run.

If anyone can answer these questions please go for it.

I like quality firearms, but not the dearest (cheap not good and good not cheap) so what is the middle of the road when it comes to a quality AR?

What sort of accuracy can be acheieved and at what distances?

Do any of you hunt bunnies with your AR's and what sort of distance can you reliably make a kill?

Can you buy a multi use AR hunting/ target, or should they be dedicated to one category or the other?

.177 or .22?

What is a decent AR scope worth? and what power scopes do most blokes have on their AR's?

I love shooting and shoot just about every single day of my life but even with the humble .22 you still looking at $3.50 a box of 50 and I have no trouble going through a box in a luch hour.

Also what sort of operating life can you get from a AR?

Thanks in advance for any answers that you post. :wink:
Last edited by Knackers on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

100 Meter with pcp airgun
Pellets were JSBs as they came out of the tin.
The gun is a RWS Excalibre 22 cal shooting at, 891fps
Scope Simmons 44 mag on 20X.
Wind was slight and coming from left to right.

shot on the 22 Sept 07

Shot on the 25 Aug 07

ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

nice shooting Daisy

I notice you have one target listed as 220 Bar fill
I though Excalibers were only supposed to be filled to 200 Bar or has yours been modified somehow??
if modified please explain how, by whom, and rough cost??

If I was going for a top end AG- I would save your bickies to about 1K and then go shopping at lewis' for the best quality he has in the rack.
you ca ngo lower in $$ but with a quality AG you really need quality optics on it and though not as expensive as CF optics they are still a few hundred $$.

I have been so happy with the performance of my Lewis tuned RWS excaliber PCP with FTS that I brought 50 tins of the FTS.
Leis has set mine at 20 FPE to give it good energy and good number of shots at near max fill pressure.
I shoot 3 magazines and then re-fill.
If you can save your pennies and get a high end springer or even a gas ram- you will have PCP level power and performance every crank of the barrel- but no multishot capability.
It will be something you teach your grandkids to shoot with as well.

You could ask Lewis for an SLR but seeing he's been trying to get me one for a few years now you'll be behind me in the line of people waiting for one. I see the SLR as all the advantages of a break barrel in ease of use etc with all the advantages of a multishot PCP.

Thanks
later
p
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

The nicest airgun you can buy for dollar is the Beeman R9,especially in .20 calibre if you want to hunt.German made,superb quality,incredible trigger,Maccari tuning kits etc.This airgun will last for decades!!
Price $695.
Scopes range from $300 to 500.You'll want a 4-12x40 at least.
I do complete deals with airgun,scope,pellets etc.
Lewis
Predator

Post by Predator »

Lewis Reinhold wrote:The nicest airgun you can buy for dollar is the Beeman R9,especially in .20 calibre if you want to hunt.German made,superb quality,incredible trigger,Maccari tuning kits etc.This airgun will last for decades!!
Agreed! You wouldn't be dis-appointed with an tuned R9.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Got a link to a picture of one (R9)?
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day knackers
How are ya ?
Here's a pic of my R9 and victum ,they are a unreal a/r to shoot with , and great value ! i just about mine every day , add the help it give's you later on when you shoot your powder burners ,will be the best thing you do with shooting

Andree
daisy
.308 Winchester

Post by daisy »

ogre6br wrote:nice shooting Daisy

I notice you have one target listed as 220 Bar fill
I though Excalibers were only supposed to be filled to 200 Bar or has yours been modified somehow??
if modified please explain how, by whom, and rough cost??

If I was going for a top end AG- I would save your bickies to about 1K and then go shopping at lewis' for the best quality he has in the rack.
you ca ngo lower in $$ but with a quality AG you really need quality optics on it and though not as expensive as CF optics they are still a few hundred $$.

I have been so happy with the performance of my Lewis tuned RWS excaliber PCP with FTS that I brought 50 tins of the FTS.
Leis has set mine at 20 FPE to give it good energy and good number of shots at near max fill pressure.
I shoot 3 magazines and then re-fill.
If you can save your pennies and get a high end springer or even a gas ram- you will have PCP level power and performance every crank of the barrel- but no multishot capability.
It will be something you teach your grandkids to shoot with as well.

You could ask Lewis for an SLR but seeing he's been trying to get me one for a few years now you'll be behind me in the line of people waiting for one. I see the SLR as all the advantages of a break barrel in ease of use etc with all the advantages of a multishot PCP.

Thanks
later
p
Hi ogre6br,

Thanks, tho my shooting isn't close to Yrrah's.

You are right the excalibre fill is 200 bar. The 220 was just a try to see how it shot. I was also getting used to filling with the scuba instead of the pump. I usually fill to 190 bar .

daisy
Karve

Re: AIR RIFLE QUESTIONS, AS MANY PEOPLE ANSWER AS POSSIBLE

Post by Karve »

Knackers wrote: A few months ago a mate bought his son a Gamo CFX on aquiring his junior permit. FMD these things hit hard, and they are a cheapy, I'm wondering what a real good quality one can do?.
Hey Knackers,

I own a CFX and I totally agree on both counts, cheap and hard hitting, just check the pic (the bugger didn't even kick!) :wink: :D The only real downfall I've found is the weight. The thing weighs more than my Brno and no sling :shock:

I'd still prefer a nice beeman and remember, you do get what you pay for.....hmmmm....the day will come :wink:

Pete.
Predator

Post by Predator »

^ hahah check out the rabbits eye :)
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Thanks for the replies fellas, the R-9 looks neat, and wifey likes the sound of the price of pellets.
Nice cat Hair bear, they seem a capable unit.
Karve, the Gamo could be a starting point for me, good shooting BTW.
Daisy, all I can say is I am farkin amazed, by those groups at 100 mtrs.

Keep them coming thanks fellas. :wink:

Daisy, how much does a AR pellet drop at 100 mtrs?
daisy
.308 Winchester

Post by daisy »

Hi Knackers

Those groups aren't the best I've seen but the best I shot.

Drop for the JSBs out of my gun doing 890 fps is 65mm at 100 meters'

A good program for shooting is http://www.chairgun.com/.

daisy
Chris L
.22 WMR

Post by Chris L »

Knackers,

You need to budget to buy 2 R9s.

My wife fired mine, and immediately sold her BSA Supersport to part-fund her R9 :D

Chris
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

Those R9 Beemans look like a quality gun at a good price. What is their energy (ft/lbs) rating?

The bottom line with airguns I reckon is (if buying quality) when compared to a rimfire, the pellets (ammo) are cheap, but you pay a lot more for the gun.

CB
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

About 13FP in 177 and 14.5 in .20.Guns vary.
Lewis