Building a new 1000m Range

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Re: Building a new 1000m Range

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dr G wrote:G'Day all

The Andamooka shotgun and pistol club have approval to build a rifle range up to 1000m. At the moment they are looking for interested people to champion the project and get it done. Another site member (elmer fudd) and I are thinking of taking this on but neither of us have any range shooting experience or competition experience.

Can you guys please take some time to give me an idea of what is needed for this sort of shooting range top be effectice as a range as well as compliant with safety.

Also I will be in Canberra from the 23rd to the 26th of November and if possible I would like to check out the range there to get ideas, take photos and listen to what works and what dosent. If any local members are available I would happily shout you a meal in exchange for a bit of your time. I am also in and out of Adelaide a bit with work so would appreciate doing the same thing at the Para range.

We have the opportunity to build a pretty good set up or to totally bollock it up. I would prefer to do the former so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dr G
Dr G,
When you are going to Adelaide, drop in to the range at Lower Light, it goes to 1,100 metres.
Mike.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Thanks Mike

I will definately give it a look. What is the protocol for organising a visit given I am not a member (SSAA member but not sure if thats relevent)

Cheers

Dr G
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I had a meeting with the range officer for SAPOL Firearms Branch and they couldnt have been more helpful. The officer I spoke to provided me with all of the legal requirements for a range as well as specifications for the backstops, mantlets (if we take that path and space requirements. He had been up at Andamooka a while ago and had allready scoped out the site they were considering. Provided we meet the design and saftey requirements he thinks it will be a straightforward approval. Plenty of space, and no neighbours. The only thing we need to be aware of is the amounts of stone in the area will require a suitable buffer (which isnt a problem here).

Thinks are looking good

Thanks for your input

Dr G
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Let me know when you are in Canberra. I'm sure we can tee something up while you are here to go look at our 1K range.

-Mick
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

Hey Dr G,

something about electronic targets popped up on 6br over night,

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... expensive/
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

WhiteMeat wrote:Hey Dr G,

something about electronic targets popped up on 6br over night,

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... expensive/
Wow, what an interesting system. Only disadvantage is I can't see it being cheap :lol:

http://www.sius.com/e_index.htm